Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket Michelin Guardian Hybrid wiper blades purchased at Costco snapped off while driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

PatrickTM

Always Be Charging
May 12, 2021
Boston
This is for the 2022 Model Y. A couple months ago I purchased two sets of Michelin Guardian Hybrid wiper blades, 26" for the driver side and 20" for the passenger side. I installed these the Model Y using the narrow push tab/button adapter on Wednesday 24 May 2023. When I gave it a quick swipe to test, one of them snapped off at the hinge immediately. I thought this might've been a defect, so I put on a second new set and they seemed to be okay.

This morning, Saturday 27 May 2023 the driver side wiper blade snapped off at the hinge and flew off the car while I was driving 70 MPH on the highway and trying to clear my windshield. When I safely got off the road, I removed the remaining passenger side wiper and I can see that the hinge has also bent. I no longer think it's an isolated defect - I think this is a design flaw and the hinge does not seem to be able to support the forces of a wiper arm trying to wipe. This was frankly a terrifying experience on the highway. The OEM Tesla wipers never had this type of issue, and Rain-X Latitude wipers have no issues, so I don't think it's the car. This has only happened with Costco bought Michelin Guardian Hybrid wiper blades.

• Informative
Reactions: JHCCAZ and cwerdna
Yup! The Tesla OEM wiper blades work great. I’m also a big fan of Rain-X Latitude wiper blades. Previously I never had an issue with Costco Michelin wiper blades with my other car, but I guess Model Y wiper arms are more powerful than what Michelin designed them for.

I see now that Costco/Michelin got rid of the Guardian Hybrid, and they’re now a beam-type wiper blade design. I will give that a test next time they need replacement to see if the new design is stronger.

I'm very particular about wiper blades. My OEM blades have lasted 45k miles, 2.5 years.

Granted, living in the DFW region, they've not seen a lot of rain, zero snow, and the car is garaged during the heat of the day, but seriously, I won't stray beyond OEM replacement blades. I hope Tesla doesn't change vendors!.

Yup, when I lived in Georgia and sunny southern CA, the wipers lasted about 3 years on average for me. Since moving to Boston, with the amount of rain, snow, grime/dirt, salt, etc. they now last about 9 months.

I believe from what others have posted, Tesla uses Bosch as their wiper blade supplier. Not confirmed though.

I’m up for new wiper blades now for my 2022 model Y. Does anyone have a brand that is confirmed to work. I really want silicone wipers. They were a game changer. I owned OEM and would need replacement yearly. Then I tried out a silicone one from Michelin and 4 years later they still
Are going strong. I’m tríele amazing. I feel like changing them soon as I feel they are starting to weaken. But 4 years is massive change than yearly.

Anyone have a 2022 model y/3 and have aftermarket silicone that works?