Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Aftermarket] Power Frunk not closing from the Tesla App

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the Power Frunk V5 for my Model Y and it worked fine until I could not close the frunk from the app. I am able to close from the screen in the car or the button in the frunk. Could the Tesla update cause this?

TIA,

Guy

I have the Power Frunk V5 for my Model Y and it worked fine until I could not close the frunk from the app. I am able to close from the screen in the car or the button in the frunk. Could the Tesla update cause this?

TIA,

Guy

Yes, it could. Tesla updates can cause anything aftermarket to either not function, or function differently.

I love the power frunk kit. I used it on a daily basis. It has been reliable for more than 2 years. Then suddenly, one day, it quit on me. But not before taking the 12V battery along for the ride. One night, it decided to go on rampant panic mode and drained the 12V battery. The following morning, I couldn't open anything, not from the app or otherwise. Had to jump the car from the battery connector on the front bumper cap to open the frunk. As soon as the power was restored, I could hear the latch motor go crazy again. I quickly disconnected the fuse cable to have it stop drawing power from the battery. Removed the whole system, opened a service appt. The mobile service came out the next day and replaced the 12V battery in about 15 min. and everything went back to normal. Lesson learned.

I realize I may be the exception. But please be advised that this could happen and leave you stranded. I can only suspect that the latest software updates caused this to happen as it worked perfectly for such a long time.

From EVoffer, where I got the powerfrunk:

basically the Tesla app button will cease to close the frunk. However, so far third party apps still works, like Stats, or Valet app for Mac.

Thanks for confirming. Does the widget work on Android like it does for iOS on the latest version or is the only hope to rollback to 4.24?

Had to rollback as the widget no longer worked :(

Based on the changes documented here: Tesla App Updates and Release Notes

I don't see the benefit for me to update to the latest version.

However, I have been researching for alternative solution such as Tessie as the API calls are still supported

or Bolt for Tesla, which is API Calls which can integrate with Google Assistant and/or create widgets with MacroDroid

For what it's worth, I just gave the Tesla app a 3 star review in the Play Store with the comment:

No longer sends the open frunk command if the frunk is already open, which has the unfortunate side effect of disabling the remote close functionality of the power frunk kit we installed. Not happy... :(

Maybe if enough of us do that, they'll walk it back.