Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket Tesla CarPlay and Android Auto Devices

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ll give this a try. Did you also say your 12v cigarette lighter outlet in the center console switches off when you close the car door? I tried this in mine and it stayed awake along with the USB ports. If yours switches off immediately that would save a lot of trouble.

Yes, I use the 12V cigarette lighter outlet in the center console but the behavior of turning on when you enter the car by opening the door and turning off (immediately) when you leave the car and close the door is different between Tesla models. So it works in my specific Tesla but YMMV based on your Tesla model and year.

As I mentioned, after a number of test scenarios leaving the "Remain Connected While in Drive" ticked for both my Home WiFi and my T2C WiFi in the Tesla WiFi settings gave me the best experience for transition between both WiFis. In this scenario the T2C WiFi will only connect when you drive away from your garage since it will be connected to your Home WiFi previously and stay connected until it looses connection based on distance (since "Remain Connected While in Drive" is active for your Home WiFi).

Last edited:
Yes, I use the 12V cigarette lighter outlet in the center console but the behavior of turning on when you enter the car by opening the door and turning off (immediately) when you leave the car and close the door is different between Tesla models. So it works in my specific Tesla but YMMV based on your Tesla model and year.

As I mentioned, after a number of test scenarios leaving the "Remain Connected While in Drive" ticked for both my Home WiFi and my T2C WiFi in the Tesla WiFi settings gave me the best experience for transition between both WiFis. In this scenario the T2C WiFi will only connect when you drive away from your garage since it will be connected to your Home WiFi previously and stay connected until it looses connection based on distance (since "Remain Connected While in Drive" is active for your Home WiFi).
My experience differs. I tried it a few minutes ago. I got in the car and immediately turned the T2C on while still connected to my home WiFi. I drove away and the T2C did connect to my phone and the white CarPlay splash screen appeared on my iPhone so I was good there. But, WiFi in the Tesla was off.

Last edited:
My experience differs. I tried it a few minutes ago. I got in the car and immediately turned the T2C on while still connected to my home WiFi. I drove away and the T2C did connect to my phone and the white CarPlay splash screen appeared on my iPhone so I was good there. But, WiFi in the Tesla was off.

Interesting. Did you updated your iPhone to iOS 16.4? When I did the update I had a number of problems with T2C to the point I had to do a T2C factory reset and Clear the Tesla Browser Cache before it start working as expected again. Also make sure you set your Tesla WiFi to be on when using the T2C after you make the "Remain Connected While in Drive" changes. It could also be the differences between my Tesla and WiFi settings (both Home and T2C).

Interesting. Did you updated your iPhone to iOS 16.4? When I did the update I had a number of problems with T2C to the point I had to do a T2C factory reset and Clear the Tesla Browser Cache before it start working as expected again. It could also be the differences between my Tesla and WiFi settings (both Home and T2C).
I’m on 16.4 as of Tuesday I believe but my experience has been the same since day 1. One thing you just reminded of is to check if my home WiFi setting is set to "Remain Connected”.

I’m on 16.4 as of Tuesday I believe but my experience has been the same since day 1. One thing you just reminded of is to check if my home WiFi setting is set to "Remain Connected”.
My home WiFi was not set to ”Remain Connected”. This could make the difference. Before leaving tomorrow I will set this and see what happens. I think this might be the key.

My home WiFi was not set to ”Remain Connected”. This could make the difference. Before leaving tomorrow I will set this and see what happens. I think this might be the key.

Yes, make sure that both Home and T2C WiFis are set to remain connected, that is the way I have set it up. Also even if the WiFi goes off again before connecting to T2C turn it on again for T2C - sometimes you have to set WiFi to ON for both networks Home and T2C (at least once for each so it sticks to ON for both networks).

Reactions: jerome8283
Update: The 12v USB adapter arrived today and I tested it out - everything works. When I open the car door the T2C powers up - by the time I've got in, put my seatbelt on and set a destination on my phone/reversed out of the garage the T2C has booted up and my phone flashes CarPlay and the Tesla browser shows the CarPlay display too.

When I exit the car and close the door the screen goes off and the T2C powers off at the same time, my phone then loses connection to Autokit_1234 and joins my wifi network if I am at home - automatically!

I am still working on tidying the wiring but the attached photo shows the T2C velcro'd in the driver footwell - I put the vent holes facing down to see if that helps with cooling, and the 12v to 5v adapter is behind it. I was wondering if the signal from the T2C (wifi and GPS) would suffer from being stuck down there but it seems 100% fine.

I'm also running my radar detector off the same 12v circuit and doesn't seem to be an issue - the fact that this circuit is off all the time I am away from the car makes me feel better about power drain and safet
Judging by the picture you're not using the 12v under the arm rest. I tried that and it won't power on the unit. Do you have a link to the product you bought and also is the there a YouTube video showing how to install? Thanks for the WiFi link as well 👍

Yes, make sure that both Home and T2C WiFis are set to remain connected, that is the way I have set it up. Also even if the WiFi goes off again before connecting to T2C turn it on again for T2C - sometimes you have to set WiFi to ON for both networks Home and T2C (at least once for each so it sticks to ON for both networks).
This worked. No more turning on WiFi when I leave my home and it automatically connected to the T2C. 😉

Plugged to cigarette lighter socket in armrest. Works for charging devices but will not power up the carlinkit. That will only power up if I plug directly to cars USB.
This is the adapter I have. You might want to compare the specs. I plug into the USB port with an on/off switch. I’m no USB expert but if I had to guesss it’s either your adapter or cable from the adapter that’s causing lack of power to the T2C.

Thanks. I'll check the spec out - must be something to do with the amps/voltage?? From reading this thread, I thought you didnt need an on/off switch if you used the 12v cigarette lighter as it powers down completely on exiting the car...

Thanks. I'll check the spec out - must be something to do with the amps/voltage?? From reading this thread, I thought you didnt need an on/off switch if you used the 12v cigarette lighter as it powers down completely on exiting the car...
You don’t need the on/off switch but I had it from the start. I may try it without it now that I solved my issue above.

Apologies that I've ambushed this thread. So I am now powering the carlinkit through the 12v adapter. As I read it, I now dont need an on/off switch. I just set both the T2C wifi and my home wifi to always connect on drive and it 'should' reconnect to the T2C when I open the car and connect back to home wifi when car is locked? However looking at the device through the window when the car is locked, the device power light remains on. Is this the right set up?