Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket wheels on Model 3: summary

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
These wheels and stance look amazing! What wheels are those? The gunmetal face with machined lip looks sooo clean!
They're BC Forged HCS21.

Here's our car on a very similar look with HCS02S:
IMG_8425_1024x1024.jpg

This exact set is off the car now, and boxed up for sale. Let me know if interested!

Danny

Those are the wheels I did in matte black but not their tire set up. 235/35R20 is VERY conservative. I’m running the 255/35R20 because I want a bigger overall diameter and a wider footprint. The 255/35R20 does have 15 less revolution per mile (that hard number is 746.2) I am running Tesla center caps. I like T Sportlines cap I just prefer the Tesla cap and exposed lugs with lug nut covers.

Would like to add for future refference for anyone looking to buy a wheel and tire package from Tsportline... I order these wheels for a m3sr and they packaged them Falken 235/35/20 tires with 92w rating. The 2023 model 3 requires at least 96w rated tires. I took them to 5 different tire shops and nobody would put them on, citing liability issues. I had to buy a new set of tires for the wheels. Very disappointed they packaged with tires that are not within tesla specs for my model.

Would like to add for future refference for anyone looking to buy a wheel and tire package from Tsportline... I order these wheels for a m3sr and they packaged them Falken 235/35/20 tires with 92w rating. The 2023 model 3 requires at least 96w rated tires. I took them to 5 different tire shops and nobody would put them on, citing liability issues. I had to buy a new set of tires for the wheels. Very disappointed they packaged with tires that are not within tesla specs for my model.
That situation you're describing actually has nothing to do with the model year. The 96W rating that the tire shops are referencing and turning you away for is based on the tire and loading label on your car. So if they're saying your M3SR has a 96W rating, then that means your car came with the 19" sport wheels from factory, which come with 235/40/r19 size tires that has a 96W rating. For liability purposes, a lot of mainstream tire shops won't mount tires that are less than the load rating on your car according to the sticker on your front door jamb. If your car was a performance, it would have came with 235/35/r20 tire size which has a 92W load rating; if it came with the aero wheels, then it would have a 98W load rating sticker. So, similarly, if you wanted to upgrade to 19" from the 18" aero wheels if that's what your model 3 came with from factory, then you would run into a similar situation where tire shops would refuse to mount and install any tires that are not at least 98W load rating.

Reactions: Clover
That situation you're describing actually has nothing to do with the model year. The 96W rating that the tire shops are referencing and turning you away for is based on the tire and loading label on your car. So if they're saying your M3SR has a 96W rating, then that means your car came with the 19" sport wheels from factory, which come with 235/40/r19 size tires that has a 96W rating. For liability purposes, a lot of mainstream tire shops won't mount tires that are less than the load rating on your car according to the sticker on your front door jamb. If your car was a performance, it would have came with 235/35/r20 tire size which has a 92W load rating; if it came with the aero wheels, then it would have a 98W load rating sticker. So, similarly, if you wanted to upgrade to 19" from the 18" aero wheels if that's what your model 3 came with from factory, then you would run into a similar situation where tire shops would refuse to mount and install any tires that are not at least 98W load rating.
That makes sense! Thanks for breaking it down. So, I would have to do the install myself it seems.

Reactions: P-Lo801
That makes sense! Thanks for breaking it down. So, I would have to do the install myself it seems.

You can call around and check with more independently owned/private tire shops as they're usually more flexible (at least that's what i've found in my area). I wouldn't bring up the experience you've had with getting turned away by the other ones you've gone to, though.

For what it's worth, this happened to me too with America's Tire and Big O, when I bought 19" aftermarket wheels to upgrade from the factory 18" aeros. But to my pleasant surprise, firestone didn't bat an eye because I bought the tires from tirerack and they were listed as an authorized installer (this occurred prior to AT buying out TireRack though).

I'd be surprised if you can't find a shop that won't do it, esp ones that deal more with car enthusiasts as their customer base. If no shops will take you, then yes, you'll just have to install them yourself as a last resort.

Reactions: superflyrolla
Hey y’all. In the market to buy a 21/22 M3 LR or P. I don’t like the 20” turbines so I’m looking at 19’s.

I don’t know much about these cars and read there’s a 3mm step thing. I have a set of 19x9.5 +35 wheels. Can I throw them on the 3P with spacers ?

Will the spacers (5mm?) clear the 3mm step thing ? Or is it more complicated than that ?

Basic question is, can any 19x8.5/9.5 +35 wheel be used for a 3P if a spacer is used for the 3mm lip ?

Hey y’all. In the market to buy a 21/22 M3 LR or P. I don’t like the 20” turbines so I’m looking at 19’s.

I don’t know much about these cars and read there’s a 3mm step thing. I have a set of 19x9.5 +35 wheels. Can I throw them on the 3P with spacers ?

Will the spacers (5mm?) clear the 3mm step thing ? Or is it more complicated than that ?

Basic question is, can any 19x8.5/9.5 +35 wheel be used for a 3P if a spacer is used for the 3mm lip ?
Yes

Reactions: FeddyWap