TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Air Conditioner(A/C) Thermostat

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by NorthernLights, Aug 21, 2016.

1. NorthernLights

NorthernLights New Member

Have a new Model S with panoramic roof out here in the dry heat of Arizona. No window tint(yet). The A/C setting of say 72 degree correlates with 80 degrees. The mobile app says its 72 but it sure doesn't feel like 72, at least not like any of my other cars. I am planning on getting a digital thermometer to compare. Is this normal of the S or do I have a defective thermostat?

2. Buddy

Buddy Member

People commonly mention the A/C being underwhelming. I've not seen someone test it against a thermometer though...id like to see that.

3. BarefootSteve

BarefootSteve Member

I spoke with my local Tesla dealer about the AC not being very robust.

They believe the freon is not fully charged, so they are servicing it in 2 days to fix. I'll let you know if that works.

The poor AC performance was originally just a disappointment, but when it blew a handful of small ice chucks out through the vent, I called them.

4. Mknac

Mknac Member

5. Boatguy

Boatguy Member

Even in Northern California the AC doesn't seem to match the thermostat once the outside temperature climbs over 90. The AC actually seems to have plenty of cooling power so I suspect the problem is that the temp sensor is not well placed and the system doesn't figure out where to direct the air and adjust the flow. I feel a lot of heat coming off the windshield when it's 90+, but the system doesn't direct anything to the under windshield vents so you get cool air from the dash vents, and hot air off the windshield and pano.

Poor system programming, like so many things that Elon doesn't consider critical.

6. BarefootSteve

BarefootSteve Member

The refrigerant (freon?) was not at the proper pressure and the AC system had no leaks. They recharged the refrigerant and the AC works great now.