Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air Conditioning Running when Away...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve noticed a few times that my air conditioning has been running when away from my car. I’ll park and be away for a little while, then come back and the cabin temp is in the low 50s, and on a mid 70s day. Twice I’ve looked at the app and it showed 54 degrees, but the climate was off.

Anybody else notice anything weird?

I’ve noticed a few times that my air conditioning has been running when away from my car. I’ll park and be away for a little while, then come back and the cabin temp is in the low 50s, and on a mid 70s day. Twice I’ve looked at the app and it showed 54 degrees, but the climate was off.

I have had one instance of this. I was away from the car, and a friend wanted to see it. He was going to meet me out there after I had to take care of something else so when I started to go to the car I opened the app to cool it down. To my surprise, the A/C showed to be on. I had parked it probably 2 hours earlier. As I got near the car I could hear the audio system playing through the rolled up windows. I opened the car and the audio was playing at max level. I tried to turn it down, but it would turn itself back up. I also noted what appeared to be the nav screen or something moving around or rolling behind the audio page. I rebooted it using the two-thumb salute and it reset, with stuff coming back as it progressed. My buddy had shown up by this point and I was showing him stuff when it came time for the audio system to come back online....still at full throttle! It was a shock, to say the least. I haven't had this exact scenario happen again, but I have had the audio level change a bit (without ambient noise changing) while some odd things seemed to be happening on the screen. Things popping up and going away on the map, etc. I probably need to log this so I can let them know where to look in the logs if it becomes repo
rt-worthy....
Anyway, you are not alone....

Reactions: Dugknight

What firmware are you on? Maybe a glitch with the auto-cool that was recently enabled?

I have had one instance of this. I was away from the car, and a friend wanted to see it. He was going to meet me out there after I had to take care of something else so when I started to go to the car I opened the app to cool it down. To my surprise, the A/C showed to be on. I had parked it probably 2 hours earlier. As I got near the car I could hear the audio system playing through the rolled up windows. I opened the car and the audio was playing at max level. I tried to turn it down, but it would turn itself back up. I also noted what appeared to be the nav screen or something moving around or rolling behind the audio page. I rebooted it using the two-thumb salute and it reset, with stuff coming back as it progressed. My buddy had shown up by this point and I was showing him stuff when it came time for the audio system to come back online....still at full throttle! It was a shock, to say the least. I haven't had this exact scenario happen again, but I have had the audio level change a bit (without ambient noise changing) while some odd things seemed to be happening on the screen. Things popping up and going away on the map, etc. I probably need to log this so I can let them know where to look in the logs if it becomes repo
rt-worthy....
Anyway, you are not alone....

How hot was the car? Did you still have the factory screen protector or any screen protector on? Had you recently cleaned the screen? If stuff is happening on the screen when you're not interacting with it, this sounds more like the phantom touch problem. People have noticed it with factory screen protector still on if the temp gets high. It can also happen if wiping the screen with a screen protector on, which probably causes some type of static discharge that's sensed as touch by the screen.

I don't remember what the screen does when you enable AC remotely through the app, but if it turns on to a state when you can interact with it, phantom touch could definitely explain that behavior.

How hot was the car? Did you still have the factory screen protector or any screen protector on? Had you recently cleaned the screen? If stuff is happening on the screen when you're not interacting with it, this sounds more like the phantom touch problem. People have noticed it with factory screen protector still on if the temp gets high. It can also happen if wiping the screen with a screen protector on, which probably causes some type of static discharge that's sensed as touch by the screen.

I don't remember what the screen does when you enable AC remotely through the app, but if it turns on to a state when you can interact with it, phantom touch could definitely explain that behavior.

The car might have been pretty warm....I didn't notice how long the A/C had been on, but if it was off for very long after I parked it I am sure it was quite warm. I am 99% sure the screen protector had been removed when I took delivery, but I will double check. Thanks for the thought!

I've had temp in the car at 114 before I manually turned on ac from the app to cool it down. I'm on 18.13. what's this auto Cool feature you're taking about? @SDKoala
A lot of people are claiming the cabin overheat protection was stealth-activated on a recent firmware release. However, I have yet to see mine kick in, and have seen cabin temperatures around 115-120 degrees.

What I have observed, on a hot day, are the battery cooling fans running. But the interior of the car was still very warm.

I'm on 18.13, btw

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: SlicedBr3ad
Weird, I'm on sunny San Diego, and see my car go up to the 130's even with a solar shade in the front window. I try to park the car pointed toward the sun to prevent exposure of the side and rear windows, but I've never had the A/C kick on by itself.

• Informative
Reactions: Dugknight