Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air noise from driver front windshield?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We picked up 9/20 build Model Y LR about 3 weeks ago. We noticed specific wind noise from lower front corner of driver side windshield. Sounded almost like a slightly cracked open window. It was very noticeable above 50mph. We told brought it in on day 7 (soonest appointment), SC tried to fix - they pushed molding up (was 5mm gap between black lower trim and edge of windscreen. Noise persisted. We told sales manager we wanted to return the car that day unless they could promise to fix this noise - which he did mostly promise (we were on the phone at 5pm and he could not listen to noise).

To my ears, it sounds like windscreen wasn't fully sealed in that area - like there is a small opening which lets air / noise in. I asked them reseat or replace windscreen on second visit. They did not. They said they were able to add more sealant to area - said noise was "better". Indeed, noise was better, much less, but still present. It doesn't whistle as loudly as it did before; but at 75mph, it's by far the loudest, most prominent noise to be heard.

Car is in for 3rd time - again I asked them to reseat/ replace windscreen. Manager went on test drive with me. He hears noise, but suggests that's "just the way it is". He says they cannot simply reseat windshield as removing inevitably breaks glass and he refuses to pay to replace. He said he will try more sealant in area. He said he would water & air test the area in question. He did offer to replace, so long as I would pick up the cost if he did not find area to be not fully factory sealed.

Anyone else have this noise from front lower corner of windscreen, driver side?

Any thoughts?

I had the noise. It took them 2 days but our service center was persistent. I didn't have to push, they'd try something and test drive and hear it and try something else.

They finally fixed it.

Comments from the invoice (no charge):

Concern: Wind noise - customer states driver door seems to have an air leak at highway speeds near top of window.
Service adjusted. Still hear it. Could be the outside mirror triangle plastic. It's super loose on the driver side like its not
glued. The passenger side is solid.

Sealed the triangle trim piece by the drivers side mirror. Test drove vehicle and found wind noise to still be present. Found
wind noise source to be the drivers A pillar, sealed the A pillars metal and test drove again. Found wind noise to no longer
be present.

I had the noise. It took them 2 days but our service center was persistent. I didn't have to push, they'd try something and test drive and hear it and try something else.

They finally fixed it.

Comments from the invoice (no charge):

Concern: Wind noise - customer states driver door seems to have an air leak at highway speeds near top of window.
Service adjusted. Still hear it. Could be the outside mirror triangle plastic. It's super loose on the driver side like its not
glued. The passenger side is solid.

Sealed the triangle trim piece by the drivers side mirror. Test drove vehicle and found wind noise to still be present. Found
wind noise source to be the drivers A pillar, sealed the A pillars metal and test drove again. Found wind noise to no longer
be present.

I am dealing with a similar, persistent issue. First, they thought it might be that the window needed adjusting. Next, the mirror applique (the plastic triangle). Recently, they came out and replaced the primary seal (the big rubber ring that goes around the driver side door frame). Wind noise still becomes clearly audible at 40+ mph.

Can you be more specific or share any additional info about what they did to your A pillars to fix your problem? Would love to share it with my service center since now they're back to thinking that the window needs adjusting.

@WasherDryer Do you have access to compressor with air gun? Pretty easy to test. Initially, I had my wife on inside with airgun with my face close to area she was blowing. It was very apparent when we found the weak spot. I could feel the air coming through. Keep in mind, this was after SC applied two extra layers of sealant.

I made the video posted above and shared with my Service Center. They quickly replace windshield. They said they found a 1cm gap.

P.S. I find Tesla FanBois somewhat obnoxious. We love our Model Y, but some people cannot abide anything that even smells like a negative comment about Tesla or one of their products. Note my video with a link above. Someone actually clicked "Disagree / thumbs down"???

@WasherDryer Do you have access to compressor with air gun? Pretty easy to test. Initially, I had my wife on inside with airgun with my face close to area she was blowing. It was very apparent when we found the weak spot. I could feel the air coming through. Keep in mind, this was after SC applied two extra layers of sealant.

I made the video posted above and shared with my Service Center. They quickly replace windshield. They said they found a 1cm gap.

P.S. I find Tesla FanBois somewhat obnoxious. We love our Model Y, but some people cannot abide anything that even smells like a negative comment about Tesla or one of their products. Note my video with a link above. Someone actually clicked "Disagree / thumbs down"???

Sadly, I don't have access to a compressor/air gun. I wonder if I can rent one somewhere.