Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air suspension disabled need to know how to lift car to replace air spring. Or keep compressor running for more than 7 seconds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2017 s p100d. Left rear has leak and drops all the way down over a few hours. I can raise it by turning car off, resetting it. Changing wheel size and colors but it's totally random. None of these things work, but when I do it over and over, get in and out of the car, put jack mode on and off, reset and turn on and off, lock and unlock while not in the car a ridiculous amount of times the compressor will eventually lift the car. Compressor isn't bad, it starts for 7 seconds every time and when it does lift car stays on for 90 seconds. Problem is that after 7 seconds the air suspension disabled code comes on the dash and it stops. It takes me 2-5 hours doing these ridiculous things every time
I need to drive it. Have part ordered but won't be here for a few weeks. Is there anyway to keep the compressor running longer than 7 seconds for now and lift the car so it's drivable?
And I can't fit a jack under it until it raises to at least "high". That's a problem because if I can't jack it up I won't be able to replace the strut.

U might need to invest in low profile jack
If only one side goes down, u should be able to jack front enough to raise back corner
Alternatively u can drive low side over 2x4 to get more clearance for jack
If compressor turns off u probably have huge leak
U can manually fill reservoir if u have fill valve retrofit done otherwise only way is to manually give compressor power to run it

Upvote 0
Thanks for the 2x4 idea, can't believe I've never thought of that,
So I got it jacked up, and an air shock on its way (paid $130 for a used one so who knows what will actually arrive). This should fix the leak because only the left rear loses height. Tho others follow when this side bottoms out and can't find any leak with soap water anywhere else. Assuming the leak will disappear with the shock replaced, I still have the problem that the car cannot lift to its riding height because the compressor only runs for 7 seconds no matter what I've tried. I even manually tapped into air suspensions reservoir and filled it to 130 psi, then 150 psi (that's what is recommended by Tesla)
And it still will not run more than 7 seconds.
Is there a way to force the compressor to run longer?
There are no blown fuses
Maybe a bad valve in the regulator solenoid?
(Dont think that's it, but I'm running out of ideas)
Any help out there please! I'm losing sleep over this
Thanks

Upvote 0
does it raise when u manually filled to 150psi?
there's no need for compressor to turn on if reservoir has enough pressure
i recall someone saying in other thread somewhere that compressor will turn off quick if its not sensing pressure increase...
someone else said that compressor turns on only after certain speed (not sure if it applies to fully empty system tho)

when my X was 1st powered on (air suspension empty) compressor came on n lifted to normal height (needs all doors closed)

Upvote 0
Okay thanks for getting back. I'm going to let air out to 90? Psi, turn car off for 2 minutes, cut power to the 12 volt AND the high voltage via responder loop wait 2 minutes, plug in power and do two resets with key and phone out of range, and see what happens. I've done this 4 times already but the reservoir tank had a pressure over 120 psi. Be back
thanks for responding!

Upvote 0
Almost there 1 more power cycle, turning off for 2 minutes
Nope. Got another 7 seconds of air compressor turning on then "air compressor disabled--vehicle unable to rise" message.???
The compressor is fine, checked the voltage , I also checked the psi on all sides via tesla service mode and only the right front is maintaining pressure and height. The leak is in the left rear only. But now the compressor will not stay on long enough to fill any of the other shocks. Is it possible that valves in the regulator solenoid were damaged by varying pressures? Doesn't sound likely to me, but I'm at an end. Even when I replace the shock and eliminate the air leak, I can't figure out how to put air into the suspension without an error code. When I fill resevour tank none of that air makes it through the air lines to raise the shocks. Could there be a faulty valve on the air suspension reservoir tank?
Pretty desperate
Thanks

Upvote 0