Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Airbag warning light 2016 model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had problems with the airbag warning light coming on for a while now. Currently seems to come on if driving directly into the sun. After changing direction the warning disappears.

The car has been in service two times to fix the problem.

The first time they replaced for SCCM - Steering Column Control Module and charged $591.15 to fix.

Then the problem occurred again. It went in for service again. They said it was due to "build up of belongings [under the passenger seat] pulling on the harness." Then I experienced the problem again, at the same time of day driving on the same stretch of road with the sun in the same place as the previous time. But that seems weird.

Anybody else had similar issues?

I really starting to think that Tesla have no idea what the problem is.

I suspect it may not be a issue that I need to worry about, but it is a warning about safety critical component, so does have me concerned.

I have had problems with the airbag warning light coming on for a while now. Currently seems to come on if driving directly into the sun. After changing direction the warning disappears.

The car has been in service two times to fix the problem.

The first time they replaced for SCCM - Steering Column Control Module and charged $591.15 to fix.

Then the problem occurred again. It went in for service again. They said it was due to "build up of belongings [under the passenger seat] pulling on the harness." Then I experienced the problem again, at the same time of day driving on the same stretch of road with the sun in the same place as the previous time. But that seems weird.

Anybody else had similar issues?

I really starting to think that Tesla have no idea what the problem is.

I suspect it may not be a issue that I need to worry about, but it is a warning about safety critical component, so does have me concerned.
I’ve had issues that tesla has no idea what the problem is, but not with airbags. Wasnt that model a tagata bag and subject to a recall?

I think the passenger side airbag was recalled and replaced. At least that is what the invoice says. But not really clear which air bag the alert is for, when they replaced the SCCM they seemed to indicate the problem was the steering wheel airbag.

They are now hinting that the Passive Safety Restraint Module might need to be replaced (PSRCM) $826 + GST.

To be fair, I think this cost estimate is just guess work at this stage, they still need to see the car (again). But starting to think that maybe their repair process is "lets replace parts one at a time at customers expense until we solve the problem".