Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alaska Tesla Adventure!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Despite our hiccup, we have continued to have a good trip. We did Denali the last two days (including zip lining) and are now in Anchorage. We are headed to Seward tomorrow to do the glacier cruise. Also, we did our first Alaska supercharger today!
And the shipping is going to work. We are adding a trip to Homer and flying home on the 27th.
IMG_1577.jpegIMG_1595.jpegIMG_1598.jpegIMG_1604.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1561.jpeg
    IMG_1561.jpeg
    508.8 KB · Views: 68
Red Goat Lodge now has WiFi! We had a good drive here and arrived with about 30 miles of range to spare. I’m plugged into the dryer outlet, which I got the ok for when I made the reservation. But, the grumpy owner guy was mumbling that he doesn’t want to allow it anymore. So, if anyone is planning to come this way in the future, make sure to check ahead of time.
The location is beautiful. We went canoeing on the lake. Perfect weather for it
Can’t post photos for some reason.
I was supposed to be doing this trip around now too, but my passport was expired....
I had called said grumpy owner guy and he asked me to bring a 50 amp twist-lock to nema 14-50 adapter so he could hook people up with his welder extension cord(s) "Then we can really screw 'em over!" (referring to EV owners I suppose..). His kids also run the place sometimes I hear, and they are much nicer. I would have brought him that adapter if my passport had been valid...Glad you are doing well!

I was supposed to be doing this trip around now too, but my passport was expired....
I had called said grumpy owner guy and he asked me to bring a 50 amp twist-lock to nema 14-50 adapter so he could hook people up with his welder extension cord(s) "Then we can really screw 'em over!" (referring to EV owners I suppose..). His kids also run the place sometimes I hear, and they are much nicer. I would have brought him that adapter if my passport had been valid...Glad you are doing well!
I had heard the same thing about the kids. Evidently they are normally running the place by this time of year but aren’t for some reason this year.

I was thinking about making this trip.... but it seems much longer and bigger deal than I thought. The drive home has always been the hardest. I never thought of just flying back and having my vehicle shipped. Interesting.....
It does take some effort and it is a long drive, but I think it is worth it. Either shipping the car home or taking the ferry makes it a lot easier. They also keep building out the charging infrastructure. There is at least one major addition since I took my trip.

I was thinking about making this trip.... but it seems much longer and bigger deal than I thought. The drive home has always been the hardest. I never thought of just flying back and having my vehicle shipped. Interesting.....
Easier every year. There are more and more charging options. However, it is a good plan to not have time pressure!

Been watching this thread for a while, didn't contribute cause I wasn't a Tesla owner at the time...had one of those other EV's

Got a buddy picking up a model x in Fremont in 3 weeks, and driving to Anchorage. Also picking up a Happier Camper in Oregon along the way. Asked if I'd take this ever so perilous journey with him...this is his first EV.
Does anyone know if Red Goat lodge is playing nice? Do they still desire adapters?
We did this trip in 20 (again with a different EV, but we had an outlet every 100 miles... I'm meeting in Tacoma to do the drive, and going to help with some planning.
And want to see this thread continue.

Reactions: IdaX
@GleanerC ,
Definately--again since it's my buddies first EV, he's cautious/nervous/yet adventurous...( he was a nuke engineer on submarines) so it's a one small step for man---
I've defaulted to most of the planning to alleviate majority of the stress--- the gas is so much easier---yea but your're in a tesla, 7/8's of the trip is spelled out. Towing the Happier Camper through Oregon-Washington, will give us a baseline on range impact.
@GleanerC what kind of camper are you planning on pulling?
we hauled a MYPOD, there's 40 mile hit on range (car at the time).
I'll definitely do the best on, the good the bad and the ugly.

Reactions: IdaX
Been watching this thread for a while, didn't contribute cause I wasn't a Tesla owner at the time...had one of those other EV's

Got a buddy picking up a model x in Fremont in 3 weeks, and driving to Anchorage. Also picking up a Happier Camper in Oregon along the way. Asked if I'd take this ever so perilous journey with him...this is his first EV.
Does anyone know if Red Goat lodge is playing nice? Do they still desire adapters?
We did this trip in 20 (again with a different EV, but we had an outlet every 100 miles... I'm meeting in Tacoma to do the drive, and going to help with some planning.
And want to see this thread continue.
RedGoat is in Iskut, and Iskut now has two level 2 charging stations (10 kW and 8 kW) at the general store- and maybe soon, maybe now a FreeWire L3 DCFC (Under repair in Plugshare just now)! As far as I Know Red Goat is still an option, and I think you do need the adapter (NEMA 14-30) and be sure to arrange ahead of time. The DCFCs and Level2 stations in Meziadin Jct, New Hazelton, and Teslin and the addition of 50 amp service at Baby Nugget RV park ($100 US) makes the trip much easier than in 2020, but still not like the lower 48! The slow-down now is sometimes lines form at these stations! [See post below for a recap of the whole trip]

Last edited:
Here's a recent post I made on another site for those interested in an update of the trip to Alaska. We were in two new Model Y's driving from Bellingham to Homer, AK a couple of weeks ago. We took our time and were more limited by hiking and laziness than by charging. Having a physical Flo card was helpful. That app, the BCHydro app and the EVConnect Canada app were required. We both had mobile connectors. The only adapters we used were: the one that came with the car (J1772 to NACS), the NEMA 14-50, and the CCS.

We used 14 off-network charging stops including 2 overnights at RV parks between the superchargers at Prince George, BC and Chugiak, AK:
June 8
0. Prince George SC 50.3 kWh in 52 mins.
camp mode unplugged at Lac LaHeche Provincial Park.
1. Savory Rest Area (25kW charger, about an hour +20kWh?)
2. Smithers, level 2 (about 1.5 hrs @ 7kW=~10 kWh) at Roadhouse restaurant, highly recommended.
Overnight at Sandman Motel, unplugged
June 9th
3. Hiked a nice trail near Smithers (Seymour Ridge), then drove to New Hazelton (50 kW charger, +43.45 kWh from 38% to 92%)
4. Meziadin Jct (200 kW, but never saw more than 96, and got about 40 kWh (to 100%) in about 45 mins) After significant fiddling, we were able to use both CCS plugs simultaneously on the FreeWire charger.
Camp mode at a rest area along the Cassiar without plugging in. (With manual climate set at 61 degrees with A/C and fan on 2, camp mode consumed about 6%, which is a little less than 5 kWh)
June 10th
5. Iskut, level 2 @ 10 kW for four or five hours to 100%. Nice hike across the street...
6. Baby Nugget RV park (overnight to 100%. USD100 for 50amp service)
June 11th
7. Teslin (50 kW; +18kWh in 24 mins. enough to make Whitehorse)
8. Whitehorse (50 kW; about an hour, +47 kWh to 91%)
9. Haines Jct (50 kW; +34 kWh. charged here twice, now and then after camp mode at Kathleen Lake Campground and hiking to Kings Throne)
June 12th
10. Haines Jct again, +22 kWh. HAd to wait for Bolt to charge, then we took turns on the single CCS plug, so 3 hours here this time.
Drove to check out Sheep trail at visitor center then to Congdon Creek Campground on Kluane Lake, camp mode, unplugged
June 13th
11. Burwash Landing (25 kW; +21 kW in an hour). Then a RT hike to Hard Luck Lake.
12. Beaver Creek (25 kW; +10 kW, enough to make Tok). Eat at Buckshot Betty's! Four EVS in line: MachE, Silverado (!) and us. We made it work out so everybody was happy! Communication with other drivers, and good spirits are essential!
13. Tok RV Village (overnight at 26 amps to 91%- the charge limit I set)
June 14th
14. Glennallen (50 kW; up to about 80%, enough time to eat at Subway and make it to Chugiak SC with 19%).

Chugiak SC, to about 80%, +55 kWh, then overnight in Anchorage plugged into friend's 50 amp garage outlet.
Not all of the stops were necessary, but it's good to hike, sleep in camp mode, and to hedge...

Overall, efficiency was 265 Wh/mile in a 2024 Model Y LR with 19" wheels. That includes some 80mph in pouring rain on I5 from Seattle to Eugene. The trip from Bellingham was while driving the speed limit with a friend who self-admittedly "drives like an old man". We had very little rain and very moderate temperatures.

Last edited:
12. Beaver Creek (25 kW; +10 kW, enough to make Tok). Eat at Buckshot Betty's! Four EVS in line: MachE, Silverado (!) and us. We made it work out so everybody was happy! Communication with other drivers, and good spirits are essential!

How to make a relationship work!
@MikeGracz this is good reference, Thank you. In all our cross country trips, we've had a mostly peaceful/positive interaction at chargers---one instance in Eugene, OR was an exception, person thought they could muscle in cause bank of 4 chargers, only one working---they had to be somewhere---"THAT'S NICE"

We usually chat with all EV owners, how do you like it, do you do A-B-C

Again, your list is helpful, have to check with good buddy he has a month, I have two weeks.
When we did the trip in 2020, at Anchorage took the ferry back to Bellingham, then home to the peninsula. The trip up from the Kitsap side was slow, cause between range, and, the best plans are no plans....we planned the Route (a), Back up plan (b), back out plan (c).
we have a huge high energy dog, so charging either an hour, or overnight got her some places to explore,,,,,,and she chased a bear!!!!!

Reactions: IdaX and MikeGracz
@Dangaurd_Ace I'd be nervous about doing this trip pulling a camper. But, if you have a clear feel for the range impact and still feel it's doable, it's a great trip to do. There have been several chargers added since I did the trip that will make the trip much easier. I'm not sure about Red Goat. You should just call them to find out. I'd guess that all of their rooms are booked at this point but they have quite a few camping spots and these didn't seem to fill up when I was there. The camping spots also have NEMA 14-50 outlets. If you need a 14-30 adapter, I have one that I can lend you. I'm in Tacoma, so right on your way. Depending on your timing, I could possibly even meet you at one of the Superchargers in Tacoma- they are all within 4 miles of my office.

@Tacoma Dave
You are so awesome.
I'm confident well make it since we did it with a non Tesla towing a MYPOD...it was a slow trip with a 250 mile range car. I'm bringing a backpack, and my adapter bag, so we'll be covered, but if you want to meet for coffee on TACOMA DAY 1 and throw some ideas I'm open. We are planning hiking ..trail running, and making a road trip not a cannon ball trip that most people do cause they have go fever.

Reactions: MikeGracz
@Dangaurd_Ace I'd be nervous about doing this trip pulling a camper. But, if you have a clear feel for the range impact and still feel it's doable, it's a great trip to do. There have been several chargers added since I did the trip that will make the trip much easier. I'm not sure about Red Goat. You should just call them to find out. I'd guess that all of their rooms are booked at this point but they have quite a few camping spots and these didn't seem to fill up when I was there. The camping spots also have NEMA 14-50 outlets. If you need a 14-30 adapter, I have one that I can lend you. I'm in Tacoma, so right on your way. Depending on your timing, I could possibly even meet you at one of the Superchargers in Tacoma- they are all within 4 miles of my office.
If RedGoat now has NEMA 14-50 outlets in their campground, then that is something brand new. Last I knew they were TT-30, which is 30 amps at 120v (and that's what Plugshare shows). They do have a dryer outlet (14-30) that they will let you use if you make arrangements beforehand- you could camp in the campground and plug in to the dryer. With the new chargers at the general store (the DCFC is listed as operational today!), Red Goat is less attractive, unless you plan on spending the night in Iskut anyway.

• Love
Reactions: Dangaurd_Ace
So slight change in a positive way...if you saw bridge if spies..appears, camper dealer sold Happier Camper to (2) people... Someone in the Oregon area picked it up, so they said he can get the exact model you want in 60 days...camper is sold an off the lot. So buddy said I'll get one shipped from manufacturer...which just saved us range. So we'll be tent camping.
@Tacoma Dave, if you still want to meet up, and see the enormous bag of adapters, you're welcome. I've got the 120v splitter to make 240v to speed up charging