Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alert using Samsung SSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Samsung T5 SSD that I was using in my 2018 M3. I am now using it in my 2022 LRMY and I keep getting frequent alerts that my USB may not save clips as I need a USB that writes 4MB/s. My T5 can write much faster than that so it should work fine. I reformatted it and erased all clips. It does seem to record clips but just keeps generating errors. Any ideas why?

I experienced the same issue with my SSD moving from a model 3 to a model Y. I resolved the issue by formatting the SSD on my computer. Instructions below should be the same for SSD.

Manually Formatting a USB Flash Drive​

If Model Y is unable to format the flash drive, format it using a computer:
  1. Format the flash drive as exFAT, MS-DOS FAT (for Mac), ext3, or ext4 (NTFS is currently not supported).
  2. Create a base-level folder titled TeslaCam. You can use one flash drive for Dashcam, Sentry Mode, and audio files, but you must create separate partitions for each folder on an exFAT flash drive.
  3. Once formatted, insert the USB flash drive into a front (or glovebox, if equipped) USB port. Do not use a rear USB port because they are only for charging devices. It may take a few seconds for the vehicle to recognize the flash drive.
  4. Once recognized, ensure icons for Dashcam and Sentry Mode are available when you touch Controls. Your vehicle is now ready to record videos.
    Note: You may need to first enable Sentry Mode (if equipped) by touching Controls > Sentry.