Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 sr+ failing HVAC and other errors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a service appointment done the other week to get the powered trunk retrofit, proactive 12v battery replacement, and trunk harness replacement done.

The day after I picked it up the hvac started to fail. I looked at my alerts and saw a bunch of errors. I'm not sure if the usb error and charging error existed prior to the appointment or is related.

vcfront a447 - hvac failing intermittently. it randomly starts and stops working on some days.

pcs a022 - ive never seen this alert on the screen, only in the feed. car charges fine. happens when the car isnt plugged in for some reason.

ui a112 - i use a jeda usb hub and a t5 ssd for sentry. all my devices work. not sure why this alert happens. unplugging everything removes the alert though.

i have a subwoofer added with power tapped from under the right rear seat. had this for 3 years with no problems.

could any of my problems be related to the service i had done? im suspecting the 12v replacement.

Attachments

• 20240304_013931.jpg
    20240304_013931.jpg
    273.8 KB · Views: 41
  • 20240304_014916.jpg
    20240304_014916.jpg
    455.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 20240304_015549.jpg
    20240304_015549.jpg
    336.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 20240304_015623.jpg
    20240304_015623.jpg
    431.7 KB · Views: 19
Reactions: Massive Attack
unfortunately my warranty just expired a month ago.

i had service look at it but that one time it wasnt reproducing so they marked it as resolved and i took it home.

issue started happening again last night and remote diagnosis was ptc heater failure.

hopefully this doesnt cost too much... and very unlucky that it happened so soon after my warranty expired

@tyuo9980 Has your issue been fixed? If not, please see this thread: Power trunk retrofit causing car awake

I also had vcfront_a447 & pcs_a022 notices. 3 service appointments later, and each time, a different part was replaced, and 4th try, they did nothing because they failed to reproduce it, I got climate control failures again.

For my car, I had the power trunk retrofit done last summer, and the failures began in December. I think the an update broke something. Good luck.

@tyuo9980 Has your issue been fixed? If not, please see this thread: Power trunk retrofit causing car awake

I also had vcfront_a447 & pcs_a022 notices. 3 service appointments later, and each time, a different part was replaced, and 4th try, they did nothing because they failed to reproduce it, I got climate control failures again.

For my car, I had the power trunk retrofit done last summer, and the failures began in December. I think the an update broke something. Good luck.
It's a bit difficult to land an appointment, but i don't think Tesla service can do anything about it. I disconnected the canbus and don't need to close the trunk from the screen so I'm living with that for now.

Here is a quote from my Service Center Appointment:
Repair Notes: Technician inspected vehicle data and found HVAC alerts. Onsite diagnosis was to inspect harness from vehicle controller Left to the HVAC blower motor. Checked onsite and all wires from VCLEFT to Blower were nominal and no issues (continuity check and all nominal). Technician performed multiple Thermal Systems Tests as well as HVAC performance test and results successful.

Based on the vehicle data and alerts present, technician found that this is relates to a know firmware issue caused by the Automatic Liftgate retrofit previously performed. The issue is that the connector at rear of Center console is causing the vehicle is unable to sleep and cycles contactors. The symptoms reported on internal article describing this issue states:

Closing the trunk using the vehicle UI (the trunk can still be opened using the UI)
Opening or closing the trunk using the Mobile App
Note: An appointment will need to be created for reconnecting when the issue is resolved in firmware.

Technician disconnected mention connector at Center Console to allow for vehicle to enter sleep state.
All grammar is theirs.

I love having a car that breaks with software updates. The future is bleak.

2020 M3 SR+ here as well. Software update end of Dec '23 killed my 12V battery, paid $200 to get it replaced but the error message never went away. After almost 2 months and multiple different service visits Tesla says it was a software bug causing the issue all along. So it may not have been my 12V at all, but too late for that. Tesla service pushed a manual update to my car to fix it.

Fast forward a couple weeks, another software update, now I have no heat and my HVAC is throwing errors like yours. Now Tesla wants $1400.

I love having a car that breaks with software updates. The future is bleak.

2020 M3 SR+ here as well. Software update end of Dec '23 killed my 12V battery, paid $200 to get it replaced but the error message never went away. After almost 2 months and multiple different service visits Tesla says it was a software bug causing the issue all along. So it may not have been my 12V at all, but too late for that. Tesla service pushed a manual update to my car to fix it.

Fast forward a couple weeks, another software update, now I have no heat and my HVAC is throwing errors like yours. Now Tesla wants $1400.
Not sure if you have the Tesla Power Trunk Retrofit Kit, but if so, be sure to look at this thread for a workaround that Tesla will do if you go to the Service Center.

Honestly, I can live with the workaround for several months, but they should look at this problem more closely. I get that the issue probably only affects a very small amount of vehicles in the whole fleet, but the end cost of this has to be adding up for them.

Not sure if you have the Tesla Power Trunk Retrofit Kit, but if so, be sure to look at this thread for a workaround that Tesla will do if you go to the Service Center.

Honestly, I can live with the workaround for several months, but they should look at this problem more closely. I get that the issue probably only affects a very small amount of vehicles in the whole fleet, but the end cost of this has to be adding up for them.

Thanks for sharing. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) I don't have the Power Trunk Retrofit, so likely won't be an option for me.

Now I'm just left wondering do I wait it out for a future software update, or shell out $1400 and hope Tesla can fix it.