Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alignment required after changing the MYP 21" uberturbine wheel to 19" Gemini?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, I'm waiting for MYP to arrive. In my part of the country a set of winter tire is a must. I wonder if I have a set of 19'' Gemini wheel for winter, do I have to do alignment every time I swap wheels? I'm really not familiar with car mechanics, but I heard that the aggressive negative camber on the MYP might cause different wear on tires with difference width... have anyone had any experience with swapping different size summer/winter wheels ?

What aggressive negative camber?

I haven’t noticed any significant amount of camber on my MYP, before or after swapping to 19” wheels.

There is stagger, where the rear is wider (and slightly taller) than the front. It won’t influence camber (or alignment) any more than margin of error on measurements when swapping to a square set up.

The OE tires themselves to have a bit of a stretched look, but it’s not much, literally “a bit.”

But generally, no, you don’t have to do alignments with wheel changes.

You might want to do it once in a while, in case there’s excessive wear or “something” happens (bounce off a curb?) to make sure alignment is good.

Alignment is not needed. Alignment is recommended before you replace the tires to ensure the tires don't wear abnormally or prematurely. The other instance where alignment would be indicated is if there are obvious signs of a problem such as pulling, abnormal tire wear, steering wheel position off, etc.

I don't believe the rear camber is adjustable on Model Y. There are vendors that sell rear camber arms that allow for adjustment.

I put 10,000 miles on a set of geminis that I bought used with (allegedly) 5,000 miles on them. Took them off and put the Ubers back on for summer driving. Checked the tread on the Contis on the Geminis, and all were consistent at 6/32 with no signs of abnormal wear. No alignment adjustments since new.

Reactions: yellowr6