Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All 2019 Updates delayed by Tesla intentionally?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My dealership has explained to me today that the rollout of any 2019 software updates has been intentionally delayed as all 2019 updates are buggy.

So my car has downloaded the update but is not providing the option to install (they say its in a staging status)

Has anyone heard anything similar?

Yeah kind of. I'm awaiting Autopilot to be activated (bought it nearly a month ago) and I took it into the SC to see if they can activate it. They said not, and said there was an update 95% completed at the end of March, but that it was withdrawn by Tesla (didn't give a reason).

So I'm still running 2018 software with no Autopilot :(

Reactions: NorthEastUk
I collected my car after an HV battery change. The car was not charging to 100% so I highlighted this to an engineer. He said I should allow the car to update via wifi when I got home. I've since spent hours on the phone as the phone support agents didn't know about any intentional delays. After leaving it the weekend I was called by the SC and given the above reason.

Maybe this thread may help others who are in the same situation although I'm not convinced as it seems some people are still getting updates.

Last edited:
FWIW TeslaFi is showing a fair handful [in UK] of S/X with 2019.12 cb68c3d

all 2019 updates are buggy.

Hmmm ... probably meant "All Tesla updates are buggy" ....

Tesla normally only withdraw an update if there is a significant problem with it, and then those cars are prioritised for next update (fixing it ...). Initial release of a new version is throttled to a minimum number of cars pending discovery whether there are problems, and then wider distribution starts.

Over 50% of the fleet (as per TeslaFi) is on a 2019 version ... so I don't think the Rep saying "All 2019 updates held" is likely to be right ... won't be the first time a SC Employee didn't know what was going on ...

Tempting to want updates when one's car is new, but Tesla QA of OTA updates over the last 3 years had been well below what my expectation, so not-being-first is generally an advantage. PITA for folk that have bought an upgrade and it, for some inexplicable reason?, is dependent on a new software version.

FWIW I've just put Hank's ev-fw data side-by-side with TeslaFi. TeslaFi only harvesting from users, and given the Trial is only two weeks, most must be subscribers. If I'm reading it correctly then TeslaFi is showing 2x - 4x as many vehicles for each version ... I'm pretty sure that Hank's system can log the data automatically, but on the Forums I've seen encouragement to manually enter the data ... I can't believe that folk will continue to do that ad infinitum, so more likely that something harvesting the API direct, like TeslaFi, is going to have more complete data.

Yeah kind of. I'm awaiting Autopilot to be activated (bought it nearly a month ago) and I took it into the SC to see if they can activate it. They said not, and said there was an update 95% completed at the end of March, but that it was withdrawn by Tesla (didn't give a reason).

So I'm still running 2018 software with no Autopilot :(

I'm going to call BS on that. Long story short, my car had Autopilot but shouldn't have, it took them a long time to turn it off but it was done remotely (after they'd originally said SC visit required) and didn't require an update, it was just gone one morning.

I reckon that is purely coincidence I'm afraid. There have been so many magic-source recipes over the years .... none of them have proved reliable, but I expect that all of them help in one way or another.

Park car where it gets WiFi (WiFi is prioritised as it costs Tesla money to send updates, particularly big ones (e.g. Maps) over the airwaves).
Plug in - some updates may only install if sufficient SOC
yeah, maybe Reboot both screens helps - something may be stuck in a loop, or memory-starved, which might mean that Download doesn't fire. No bad thing to reboot the screens regularly anyway.

But it all depends on Tesla having already selected your car for an update. If you aren't in the list then it aint going to happen ... yet.
If Tesla has attempted to send the Update N-times they won't try again, or "not any time soon"

After update reboot the screens. No, I have no idea why Tesla don't automatically include that in an update, I would, but there have been plenty of stories of things not working, after an update, until a reboot.

I very rarely get updates, typically only when at service centre, I have no idea why and Tesla say "there is no problem with the car"