Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All driving assist features disabled in cold weather on model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have this crazy issue with my model Y: after a freezing night, I get all this deactivated: no vehicule hold, no regen braking, no traction control, no stability control, no steering assist, no automatic emergency braking, (and obviously no cruise control, steering assist..). So far it has happened only after freezing night, and it has happened after all freezing nights (3 times so far).
The first time, I drove the care to the service center (it is quite amazing how far the car coast without regen) very carefully (would not do it with wet weather), and they said "we found that the front left wheel speed sensor was not tightened down all the way".
The second time (last monday), I drove again to the service center and they said "found the customer steering rack was intermittently faulting internally, causing alerts similar to the ones the customer had previously seen, for the Wheel Speed sensor. After replacement of steering rack, test drove vehicle and verified proper operation".
I picked up the car yesterday evening, and this morning I get the same issue again!

Has anyone experience similar issues?
I am having this issue with my refreshed model x right now. Taking it in for the third time. Took delivery 3 weeks ago

I'm having those exact issues and I find it very surprising that there are not more discussion threads on the internet regarding this cold weather issue. I live in Washington DC where it occasionally dips to freezing temperature but how do the folks in New York or Michigan do it? Surely there are Model Y owners up there. Are they not having these issues with reduced steering assist, disabled regenerative braking, disabled traction control, disabled ABS???? This seems like a massive safety failure. I am unable to get an appointment at a service center near me until mid February so am I to live with the fact my $60k car operates like a brick on wheels when it gets moderately cold out? Anybody out there with experience with solving this? Is this an issue with all Model Y's or just a few like mine??

Macthenite : Just had this happen to 2021 MY. Have tried doing several hard resets, electronically changed tires on the screen to initiate a hard reset, recalibrated camera and still nothing. Frustrated like you. Can’t get an appointment until April 8th. I too am now driving a “brick in wheels”. Have had this car for 10 months.

Reactions: tryangles
I'm having those exact issues and I find it very surprising that there are not more discussion threads on the internet regarding this cold weather issue. I live in Washington DC where it occasionally dips to freezing temperature but how do the folks in New York or Michigan do it? Surely there are Model Y owners up there. Are they not having these issues with reduced steering assist, disabled regenerative braking, disabled traction control, disabled ABS???? This seems like a massive safety failure. I am unable to get an appointment at a service center near me until mid February so am I to live with the fact my $60k car operates like a brick on wheels when it gets moderately cold out? Anybody out there with experience with solving this? Is this an issue with all Model Y's or just a few like mine??

SAME HERE. Picked up new 2023 model 3 Nov 2022. All was good until last night. Extreme cold, -21 C. None of the driving safety systems work.

Will they come back without any sort of reset when it warms up?

ANY UPDATES from you or Babish OP?

Tried resetting in many ways, soft resets many time. Nope. HARD reset with disconnecting both batteries, 12v and the main pack. NOPE.

Very disappointed. Scheduled service. They said immediately left rear wheel speed sensor. Weird. What does that have to do with me not having any POWER Steering. I fear it is some computer that is shot due to extreme cold (-22 C). Maybe not, i don't know. That said, the arctic chill crippled my car and truly disappointed me, and i have to drive like that for several more days. Driving without traction control is dangerous in the snow BTW. Brand new car, 3 months old and already breaking like *sugar*. My faith in tesla took another massive dip.