Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All driving assist features disabled in cold weather on model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have this crazy issue with my model Y: after a freezing night, I get all this deactivated: no vehicule hold, no regen braking, no traction control, no stability control, no steering assist, no automatic emergency braking, (and obviously no cruise control, steering assist..). So far it has happened only after freezing night, and it has happened after all freezing nights (3 times so far).
The first time, I drove the care to the service center (it is quite amazing how far the car coast without regen) very carefully (would not do it with wet weather), and they said "we found that the front left wheel speed sensor was not tightened down all the way".
The second time (last monday), I drove again to the service center and they said "found the customer steering rack was intermittently faulting internally, causing alerts similar to the ones the customer had previously seen, for the Wheel Speed sensor. After replacement of steering rack, test drove vehicle and verified proper operation".
I picked up the car yesterday evening, and this morning I get the same issue again!

Has anyone experience similar issues?

Attachments

• IMG-0246.jpg
    IMG-0246.jpg
    338.1 KB · Views: 380
  • IMG-0233.jpg
    IMG-0233.jpg
    261.8 KB · Views: 293
  • IMG-0159.jpg
    IMG-0159.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 235
I think they did check the 12V battery. Also the 3 nights that it happened, the car was charging and I did turn on the climate 15 min before departure. I had the car since August, it only ever happened when temperature went below 0 degree celsius. Also the features are not returning back with warmer weather, only the Service Center was able to (temporarily) restore the features.

I do not have any dongle into the diagnostic port. I just have a usb memory stick plugged in for sentry/dashcam. Sentry is turned off at home. I also tried many resets without success.
What is your home charging setup? Do you ever charge at other locations?

Also, did the SC check the chassis ground connection? If the ground connection is poor, i.e. loose or not making good clean contact it could cause error codes similar to a bad 12V battery.

Last edited:
I am charging with the mobile connector at 120V/16A (I do not need a faster charge, I am renting the house and got very high quote for nema 14/50 plug, ~$1000)
My model Y is at SC, I can see they have ordered "SERVICE BRAKE HCU PRE-FILLED, Part #: 1044746-00-A"

I'm having those exact issues and I find it very surprising that there are not more discussion threads on the internet regarding this cold weather issue. I live in Washington DC where it occasionally dips to freezing temperature but how do the folks in New York or Michigan do it? Surely there are Model Y owners up there. Are they not having these issues with reduced steering assist, disabled regenerative braking, disabled traction control, disabled ABS???? This seems like a massive safety failure. I am unable to get an appointment at a service center near me until mid February so am I to live with the fact my $60k car operates like a brick on wheels when it gets moderately cold out? Anybody out there with experience with solving this? Is this an issue with all Model Y's or just a few like mine??

Reactions: TONCO
If the wheel speed sensor has been checked and/or replaced; likewise for the steering unit has Tesla Service checked the chassis ground connection? The chassis ground is located on the passenger side, front, below the general area of the frunk bin. It should be easy for Tesla Service to confirm that the ground connection is good.

I'm having those exact issues and I find it very surprising that there are not more discussion threads on the internet regarding this cold weather issue. I live in Washington DC where it occasionally dips to freezing temperature but how do the folks in New York or Michigan do it? Surely there are Model Y owners up there. Are they not having these issues with reduced steering assist, disabled regenerative braking, disabled traction control, disabled ABS???? This seems like a massive safety failure. I am unable to get an appointment at a service center near me until mid February so am I to live with the fact my $60k car operates like a brick on wheels when it gets moderately cold out? Anybody out there with experience with solving this? Is this an issue with all Model Y's or just a few like mine??
I live in relatively milder environment and am only a 10 day Y owner but have found that preconditioning really helps with at least the re-gen reduced issue. I assume pre-conditioning not only warms the cabin but heats the battery as well to ideal temp and re-gen is not reduced.

Reactions: Arthur31
If the wheel speed sensor has been checked and/or replaced; likewise for the steering unit has Tesla Service checked the chassis ground connection? The chassis ground is located on the passenger side, front, below the general area of the frunk bin. It should be easy for Tesla Service to confirm that the ground connection is good.
Is that something I could easily check myself? I have read frequent mentions of lose ground connections causing multiple issues.

Is this an issue with all Model Y's or just a few like mine??
I think just a few. I am in Ontario. A few days ago it was -13'C out and Regen was non existent after sitting outside work all day. I park underground (-3'C) and all was good in the morning. Never seen any of those other errors in these temps, so, unhelpfully, I do not suffer from the multiple problems, just the understandable regen one. Based on this, I think you have unusual behaviour.