Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All driving assist features disabled in cold weather on model Y

babish

Dec 8, 2018
usa, dc area
I have this crazy issue with my model Y: after a freezing night, I get all this deactivated: no vehicule hold, no regen braking, no traction control, no stability control, no steering assist, no automatic emergency braking, (and obviously no cruise control, steering assist..). So far it has happened only after freezing night, and it has happened after all freezing nights (3 times so far).
The first time, I drove the care to the service center (it is quite amazing how far the car coast without regen) very carefully (would not do it with wet weather), and they said "we found that the front left wheel speed sensor was not tightened down all the way".
The second time (last monday), I drove again to the service center and they said "found the customer steering rack was intermittently faulting internally, causing alerts similar to the ones the customer had previously seen, for the Wheel Speed sensor. After replacement of steering rack, test drove vehicle and verified proper operation".
I picked up the car yesterday evening, and this morning I get the same issue again!

Has anyone experience similar issues?

Attachments

• IMG-0246.jpg
    IMG-0246.jpg
    338.1 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG-0233.jpg
    IMG-0233.jpg
    261.8 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG-0159.jpg
    IMG-0159.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 48

babish

Dec 8, 2018
usa, dc area
I think they did check the 12V battery. Also the 3 nights that it happened, the car was charging and I did turn on the climate 15 min before departure. I had the car since August, it only ever happened when temperature went below 0 degree celsius. Also the features are not returning back with warmer weather, only the Service Center was able to (temporarily) restore the features.

jcanoe

Oct 2, 2020
Maryland
Do you have a BT dongle plugged into the OBD II diagnostic port? What about 3rd party software that monitors the vehicle? What type of storage device, if any, is plugged into the USB port?

jcanoe

Oct 2, 2020
Maryland
Do you have Sentry Mode set to turn on when your Model Y is parked at your home location? Try turning off Sentry Mode when parked at home; when Sentry Mode is active the Model Y will not go into sleep mode.

babish

Dec 8, 2018
usa, dc area
I do not have any dongle into the diagnostic port. I just have a usb memory stick plugged in for sentry/dashcam. Sentry is turned off at home. I also tried many resets without success.

jcanoe

Oct 2, 2020
Maryland
I do not have any dongle into the diagnostic port. I just have a usb memory stick plugged in for sentry/dashcam. Sentry is turned off at home. I also tried many resets without success.
What is your home charging setup? Do you ever charge at other locations?

Also, did the SC check the chassis ground connection? If the ground connection is poor, i.e. loose or not making good clean contact it could cause error codes similar to a bad 12V battery.

Last edited:

babish

Dec 8, 2018
usa, dc area
I am charging with the mobile connector at 120V/16A (I do not need a faster charge, I am renting the house and got very high quote for nema 14/50 plug, ~$1000)
My model Y is at SC, I can see they have ordered "SERVICE BRAKE HCU PRE-FILLED, Part #: 1044746-00-A"

babish

Dec 8, 2018
usa, dc area
To update on this issue, the car seems to be fixed after the last SC trip, they said “found the front body control module not operating correctly, due to internal fault, causing the ABS module to fault, which had cause the customer concern”

• Informative
Reactions: srlawren

fokap888

Jan 25, 2021
San diego
MY does not like cold weather. Does not like hot weather too, many issues with AC last year in AZ,NV and CA. I hope they already fixed all issues from last year

Rshephorse

Aug 2, 2020
Plattsburg
obviously something was causing a fault in the ESC system... but there are dozens of causes. With errors like this tho, it always makes sense to do a hard reset to see if you can clear the fault - this will work for electric bogeys.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC