Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

all of Dan O'Dowd's weird activities

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Ramphex

Pre-re-re-refresh MS Owner
Supporting Member
Jun 9, 2021
Tampa Bay Area
(moderator note: this thread is a spin-off from thread FSD Beta 10.69. The title is a working title but was cleverly suggested by one of the authors below)

Someone sent me this video today and asked if it’s true

How do I even begin to explain to them all this nonsense that’s going on with promises and not meeting promises and false hopes etc? What do you guys tell your friends that ask, without spending too much time but being as accurate as possible with the information?

Last edited by a moderator:

How do I even begin to explain to them all this nonsense that’s going on with promises and not meeting promises and false hopes etc? What do you guys tell your friends that ask, without spending too much time but being as accurate as possible with the information?

Simple, I cite his 60 minutes interview in 2018 when he said

Elon Musk: "People should not ascribe to malice that which can easily be explained by stupidity." (LAUGHTER) So-- so it's, like, just because I'm, like, dumb at-- at predicting dates does not mean I am untruthful. I don't know-- I-- we've-- I never made a mass-produced car. How am I supposed to know with precision when it's gonna get done?

Now replace "mass-produced car" with "self driving car" but keep the rest of the paragraph the same and it makes perfect sense.

All I can do is give my experience. I have three friends with Teslas, and about a dozen coworkers that I've spoken to about their Teslas. And none of them, not one, follows Elon, knows what he says, nor any broken promises. Many don't upgrade their software (either because their garage or carport doesn't have WiFi, they haven't bothered connecting to WiFi, or just don't care). And many don't even know the capabilities of their cars. I end up explaining features they didn't know they had. The most recent conversation I had with a Model S coworker he told me "I use Autopilot every now and again, but it's too slow to get going. Car is way funner to drive on my own."

All I can do is give my experience. I have three friends with Teslas, and about a dozen coworkers that I've spoken to about their Teslas. And none of them, not one, follows Elon, knows what he says, nor any broken promises. Many don't upgrade their software (either because their garage or carport doesn't have WiFi, they haven't bothered connecting to WiFi, or just don't care). And many don't even know the capabilities of their cars. I end up explaining features they didn't know they had. The most recent conversation I had with a Model S coworker he told me "I use Autopilot every now and again, but it's too slow to get going. Car is way funner to drive on my own."
I’m not disagreeing or agreeing with the guy in the video. I’m simply looking for easy answers without getting into too much detail on when someone asks me if that video is true or what is the current status of FSD

Reactions: jebinc
LOL. Dan O’Dowd.
I ask for advice and you thumbs down my post?

Prolly because it's content from Dan O Dowd, who clearly has a conflict of interest. It would have been an easy deflection for me if my friends had sent that asking me for a response.

Inform them that DoD has a conflict of interest, then give them your experience with the car, good and bad.

Simple, I cite his 60 minutes interview in 2018 when he said

Elon Musk: "People should not ascribe to malice that which can easily be explained by stupidity." (LAUGHTER) So-- so it's, like, just because I'm, like, dumb at-- at predicting dates does not mean I am untruthful. I don't know-- I-- we've-- I never made a mass-produced car. How am I supposed to know with precision when it's gonna get done?

Now replace "mass-produced car" with "self driving car" but keep the rest of the paragraph the same and it makes perfect sense.
Ok...so...if you "dont know when its gonna get done", then how about....stop CONSTANTLY predicting dates (that you ALWAYS MISS) as to WHEN its gonna get done.

Whats that saying about the definition of insanity?

Oh yeah..that....

Prolly because it's content from Dan O Dowd, who clearly has a conflict of interest. It would have been an easy deflection for me if my friends had sent that asking me for a response.

Inform them that DoD has a conflict of interest, then give them your experience with the car, good and bad.
I don’t know the whole deal with Dan O Dowd or who he even is LOL. All I know is Elon promised FSD for years and always under delivered.

LOL. Why are they asking you? As if you have different information from the reality of what Tesla has actually delivered today or something. LOL

I’m not disagreeing or agreeing with the guy in the video. I’m simply looking for easy answers without getting into too much detail on when someone asks me if that video is true or what is the current status of FSD
I guess in my circle, I wouldn't worry about it, as I don't think any of the people I talk to would ever see that video or care about it. But if they did, I'd give them my experience with the car and ADAS functions, and where I see things going based on my observations.

It’s true, he did say those things. His competitor O’Dowd who strung this together could have added more recent clips and also found similar statements about what is now called Smart Summon.

What I say to this is Elon is always confident but usually wrong about timing. The way I see it is he is willing to change his mind and retrench instead of forging ahead with inadequate plans and tools with the result of delays followed by progress. He overpromises with his aspirations at the time. He talks about what should be possible and expects reality to keep pace. What he’s really guilty of is managing expectations—his own, ours, and his team’s. Eight years and counting is a long time to have been wrong but he is closer now than ever.
What matters is the delivered product, not what Elon says about when it will delivered (unless you want a stock pump). I’m sure O’Dowd promises his customers a safe system but we’ve all seen the plane crash.

I never in a bit believe his promises, I am in the software business and I personally witnessed how C-level executive speaks and how the internal realities are different; in my circle, we all know the problem and the way they tried to solve it is very difficult and may not work; but to be fair I don't see Elon as an Elizabeth Holmes who is a total fraud. Elon may over-exaggerate and be full of himself from time to time, but I do see actual improvements since 17. FSD still has a long way to go, just don't know how far can the current HW can achieve with SW. It will be usable for some people under certain situations but there will be lots of cases will not be able to handle. One thing I notice is Tesla at least for now still giving out updates - that's still in active development, other manufacturers I am not sure how committed are they.

As a head of product professionally, FSD’s capabilities and progress ain’t fake. It takes a lot of faith for a company to release such a beta and progress on feedbacks. This type of feedback loop is impossible to achieve politically in a company and often career limiting.

Reactions: GSP and eli_
I ask for advice and you thumbs down my post?
Absolutely irrelevant to this thread. How is this related to 10.69 ?

I suggest opening a new thread to track all of Dan O'Dowd's weird activities.

I don’t know the whole deal with Dan O Dowd or who he even is LOL. All I know is Elon promised FSD for years and always under delivered.
See - instead of talking about 10.69, this is just the same debate all over again.

ps : Checkout his history - he has some personal vendetta against Elon - even started a senate campaign in CA with the sole promise of bashing Elon.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
Absolutely irrelevant to this thread. How is this related to 10.69 ?

I suggest opening a new thread to track all of Dan O'Dowd's weird activities.

See - instead of talking about 10.69, this is just the same debate all over again.

ps : Checkout his history - he has some personal vendetta against Elon - even started a senate campaign in CA with the sole promise of bashing Elon.

I don’t need another thread to ask for advice on the easiest way to explain to non-tesla fans about FSD, why it’s been promised for many years, has not been completed, and what it’s current state is.

Ofcourse you do. 10.69 is not the thread to post Dan O'Dowd's FUD.
Well maybe you should then become a moderator and make it a rule. Your personal hatred for this dude is making me want to look him up even more. All I know is someone sent me a link and asked me questions about the video. I can’t think of a time I’ve ever heard of this guy before.

• Funny
Reactions: 2101Guy and jebinc
Just read the article you posted. So it’s some rich dude trying to run for a political position to put a squash to Elon selling vaporware for thousands of dollars? Doesn’t seem very unreasonable. This *sugar* beta should be free, to be honest. Maybe one day if the product is ever completed then make it a paid software.

• Funny
Reactions: 2101Guy and jebinc