Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All right, I need help with a decision

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What do you guys think about this deal. Im looking to get into a model S for a little while until the Y comes out and I can get that with FSD. For now, I dont need to have AP1. I am currently looking at a 2013 P85 (originally) that the guy wants 33500 for. It has 139000mi on it and normally I wouldnt give it a second look given that the bluebook for it is around 24k. The thing is, he says that in the last 9k miles the cars battery was replaced with a new P90 and the DU was also replaced along with suspension links MCU, driver cluster and a few other things. That means that technically the new battery and DU have under 9k miles on them. Do you guys think this is something I should look into, or should I try to talk him down. The battery warranty was not extended as a result of this, but still has the remainder of the warranty left? Any insight or advice would be greatly appreciated as I dont have much experience knowing what are other things that could have wear over 139k miles, and whether I should entertain this as a possibility.

I've got a 2014 model s with 235k miles on it. Original battery, motor replaced at 80k miles. Original MCU. And i am regularly replacing front suspension parts, about every 6 months (stabilizer links, upper/lower control arms, etc).

Obviously it's a huge grey area because of the replacements & ways to value the car. Personally, I'd pay $28-33k for the car you describe (probably try to negotiate to about 30k). I wouldn't be concerned with the battery, if you only plan to own it until you get a model Y, it should do ok for 2-3 years. After 5 years and 235k miles, I am only seeing about 12% battery degradation, though there are reports that the early 90 battery packs don't hold up as well.

My thoughts are that the car is worth market value. I don’t believe you will find anyone (especially TESLA, if you try and trade) to pay the premium he is requesting right now, when you get your model Y. If you were buying this car to keep it for 10 years, it might have some additional worth to you, but personally I don’t think it’s 50% over market (using your numbers)

At the end of the day the car is worth whatever someone is willing to pay. These are my personal thoughts/opinions not suggesting they are facts.

I wouldn't offer more than $26K for that car, think about your resale value in two years. the more you pay, the more you lose. The original owner paid nothing for the new battery and electric motor and you shouldn't either, it was covered under warranty. (maybe not the MCU, but that's only $2K). Get it cheap or walk there are lots of options in the market.

I’ve sold many of my cars before and I can tell you from my experience that having lower mileage really helps sell the car. Super high mileage and salvage cars don’t have easy comps and most people will filter them out when searching. I think there are better deals you can land right in this forum.

• Informative
Reactions: Xenoilphobe
I wouldn't, I would buy one from Tesla with the two year CPO warranty. I would make sure that it is low enough miles that it is still safely below 100k miles when you trade it in to maximize your trade in. Best case you get a 2014 to maximize your value on age and drive unit / battery warranty. Most likely you will be paying the relocation fee from California, but you might get lucky, there was a Chicago based 85 for 31400 with a hair under 70k on it. 2 year CPO warranty to 100k, so 70k wouldn't be ideal unless you don't drive much. Monitor one of the aggregation sites and find something in a condition you are happy with. That p90 could be a good deal for someone out there but it doesn't sound like it is for you.