Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alpine ILX-F307 stereo install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just installed the new halo alpine tablet style radio and it works really well in the Roadster 2.0. I also installed a rf steering wheel controller and a back up camera. While doing so we made a custom glove box in the dash pocket on the passengers side of the dash.

Attachments

• IMG_2146.jpg
    IMG_2146.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 342
  • IMG_2149.jpg
    IMG_2149.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 304
  • IMG_2142.jpg
    IMG_2142.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 289
  • IMG_2154.jpg
    IMG_2154.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 285
  • IMG_2152.jpg
    IMG_2152.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_2153.jpg
    IMG_2153.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 274
Could you use it as a rear view mirror? I was going to get a dashcam mirror and have the rear camera wired into it for daily driving and have hte reversing chevrons come on when I put it into reverse. But I like that a lot. Can you angle the screen? or is it fixed?

Just installed the new halo alpine tablet style radio and it works really well in the Roadster 2.0. I also installed a rf steering wheel controller and a back up camera. While doing so we made a custom glove box in the dash pocket on the passengers side of the dash.

It is important to note that the car you have pictured here is a 1.x and not a 2.0 or 2.5 vehicle. While the setup shown here looks great (congrats), it would NOT work well in a 2.x vehicle. This is primarily because the HVAC controls would be blocked, but then also I suspect from these photos that you’d also make it hard to view/see/touch the small display, which in 2.x cars is relocated to the center. Also, the entire dash loses that silver beam that runs across. The interior is QUITE different, such that this system would be less ideal in that circumstance FYI

Still, thanks for sharing!

The screen tilts up and down and can be adjusted higher if need be (no side to side). The screen has control for the camera so it can be accessed anytime. Sorry I didn't realize it was a 1.0 and I can see that in a 2.0 car the alpine would not be an ideal option.

Scott

Awesome! Glad to hear it worked out.
What is mean by an "rf steering wheel controller"? I'm not familiar with that.

RF is short for radio frequency as apposed to IR (infra red). RF is very reliable as it is not directional like IR is. Steering wheel controller is installed on the steering wheel to control the stereo. This part is made by Metra electronics and the buttons can be custom programmed to operate any car stereo with a steering wheel input.

Scott

Attachments

• metra sw controller.JPG
    metra sw controller.JPG
    378.8 KB · Views: 279
RF is short for radio frequency as apposed to IR (infra red). RF is very reliable as it is not directional like IR is. Steering wheel controller is installed on the steering wheel to control the stereo. This part is made by Metra electronics and the buttons can be custom programmed to operate any car stereo with a steering wheel input.

Scott
I assume there’s some sort of RF receiver as well? Is there a control port on the back of the stereo or is there an IR repeater mounted somewhere?

Oh, and it’s a 1.5. There are no 1.0’s anymore.

Scott

Very Nice. I was thinking that there must be a better to way to control the volume then the capacitive touch buttons. What camera did you choose?

Thanks for posting, I’ve been considering the same system for my 1.5 - the Alpine Halo unit looks great, and I’m pleased the vents aren’t obstructed! It would be sooo nice to have a proper backup camera.

You may have installed the unit yourself (Nice work); if you used a shop, do you mind sharing the place that did the install? Also general costs for the install.

Cheers,
Rob

You may have installed the unit yourself (Nice work); if you used a shop, do you mind sharing the place that did the install? Also general costs for the install.
Hi Rob,
the install was done at La Jolla Audio in San Diego. Since there was a bit of custom stuff done (glovebox) it was over $3k. But it would have been @ $2400.00.
Scott
Based on the conversation above, I’m assuming you are the shop who did the install. Or are you the owner of the car, Scott?