Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alternate wiring for Mini HUD using Swivel mount

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So awhile back I bought the Hansshow Mini HUD (Best Tesla Model 3 Y Heads-Up Display|Hidden Hud|Hansshow) but did not like the aesthetics of the wire being visible in my eyeline and blocking the vent.

Image 11-22-23 at 10.04 PM.jpeg

Throw in the fact that you have to jam it in the side panel to thread it, I figured this was money down the drain.

So last week I found a swivel mount for the infotainment screen that did not appear to need a screw adjuster (https://tinyurl.com/m7cpsjz9)

After installing it I liked the effect but when tilted the Spedometer was partially blocked by my hands. I posted my experience on Facebook and someone suggested a dash replacement/hud. I looked at it and decided against it but realized that with the new swivel mount I had an alternative place to pass the wire, Under the dash!

So I popped the dash
IMG_3218.jpeg

Laid the wire down over the exposed area and through the opening under the swivel

IMG_3220.jpeg

and put the dash back on , making sure to position the wire away from the fasteners.

I finished passing the wire according to the original instructions to the OBD and buttoned it up.

The mini HUD worked great, and there are no wires seen.

IMG_3224.jpeg

Definitely more pleasing to look at and easily removed should I desire. and surprisingly easy.