Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alternative Energy Investor Discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Because this uncertainty in the middle east is not passing. And like Tesla, I think Solar is a great buy then. Why its down I have no idea. I am buying LEAPS thou.

It is down so much because LDK missed the one analyst's expectations with its earnings results today. This is a completely ridiculous reason to sell off Chinese solars, because LDK is a loser and essentially bankrupt, so nobody wants to buy their panels (since the company may not be in business to honor warranty). They also said that they will not be able to make a coupon payment this Wednesday, aka bankrupt.

I am still worried about overall market correction being only halfway through. I will wait and buy some more solars when things get uglier.

Same. Solar got slaughtered but i am not am willing to bet this is not the end of the down turn. I am going to wait a bit to buy. Not like i have much choice as i will be in the air from the time trading opens till the time it ends tomorrow. So i hope i am right on tomorrow being another down day.

Also to add in. We still have two more earnings reports in the next few days that could be negative and only drive solar further down.

Last edited:
Same. Solar got slaughtered but i am not am willing to bet this is not the end of the down turn. I am going to wait a bit to buy. Not like i have much choice as i will be in the air from the time trading opens till the time it ends tomorrow. So i hope i am right on tomorrow being another down day.

Also to add in. We still have two more earnings reports in the next few days that could be negative and only drive solar further down.

What other than SOL do we have?

and then SOL on friday. So i guess we have 3 more reports to endure.
We are up on recovery mode this morning, but i am still going to hold off and wait for everyone else to report before i make any moves since i dont think they are going to be boosters. But sleepy you probably have more info on these guys reporting so if you think we are looking good for their reports i might jump in here. I have a 2 hour layover to make my choice.

and then SOL on friday. So i guess we have 3 more reports to endure.
We are up on recovery mode this morning, but i am still going to hold off and wait for everyone else to report before i make any moves since i dont think they are going to be boosters. But sleepy you probably have more info on these guys reporting so if you think we are looking good for their reports i might jump in here. I have a 2 hour layover to make my choice.

I really don't know anything at all about JASO. I am not a big fan of YGE, because even though it is the largest panel producer it has way too much debt on its balance sheet. I think that the company will give out good guidance though and am hoping for the market to treat this report favorably; afterall YGE has a ton of exposure to Europe just like TSL. I prefer TSL over YGE though because of smaller debt load.

As far as SOL goes, this is one of my favorite picks but so was/still is CSIQ and that stock has been hit hard since its earnings release. I like SOL because of its relatively low debt load, it just put its poly manufacturing plant back in service on July 1 after upgrading it (this helps especially with Chinese implemented tariffs on poly imports from US and South Korea), recently added to Tier 1 list, is now beginning operations in Japan, has a lot of exposure to Europe which is not as much a negative anymore after Chine-EU deal for minimum ASP's.

There are risks with SOL as well, such as its reliance on EU, lack of geographic diversification, and lack of reputation that a Trina Solar might have in the marketplace.

I really don't recommend buying these stocks to try to play earnings: SPWR had good earnings and the stock tanked, CSIQ had ok earnings and it tanked, FSLR had bad earnings and it tanked, TSL had ok earnings and it skyrocketed, JKS had really good earnings and it is flat. None of this makes any sense. I have a feeling that SOL will have good earnings, but this doesn't mean that the stock will go up. SOL has been on a good run lately and it is hard to know what will happen in the short run.

If you want to invest in these companies then you should buy and plan to hold for 2 years. Playing the earnings releases is straight up gambling.

edit: SOL was supposed to announce earnings two weeks ago, but they postponed it at the last minute. This doesn't make much sense to me, but it could be either a very bad thing, neutral, or possibly a good thing (least likely outcome). Hard to say why that did that. I would guess that they needed more time to crunch the numbers after spotting a discrepancy.

I really don't know anything at all about JASO. I am not a big fan of YGE, because even though it is the largest panel producer it has way too much debt on its balance sheet. I think that the company will give out good guidance though and am hoping for the market to treat this report favorably; afterall YGE has a ton of exposure to Europe just like TSL. I prefer TSL over YGE though because of smaller debt load.

As far as SOL goes, this is one of my favorite picks but so was/still is CSIQ and that stock has been hit hard since its earnings release. I like SOL because of its relatively low debt load, it just put its poly manufacturing plant back in service on July 1 after upgrading it (this helps especially with Chinese implemented tariffs on poly imports from US and South Korea), recently added to Tier 1 list, is now beginning operations in Japan, has a lot of exposure to Europe which is not as much a negative anymore after Chine-EU deal for minimum ASP's.

There are risks with SOL as well, such as its reliance on EU, lack of geographic diversification, and lack of reputation that a Trina Solar might have in the marketplace.

I really don't recommend buying these stocks to try to play earnings: SPWR had good earnings and the stock tanked, CSIQ had ok earnings and it tanked, FSLR had bad earnings and it tanked, TSL had ok earnings and it skyrocketed, JKS had really good earnings and it is flat. None of this makes any sense. I have a feeling that SOL will have good earnings, but this doesn't mean that the stock will go up. SOL has been on a good run lately and it is hard to know what will happen in the short run.

If you want to invest in these companies then you should buy and plan to hold for 2 years. Playing the earnings releases is straight up gambling.

edit: SOL was supposed to announce earnings two weeks ago, but they postponed it at the last minute. This doesn't make much sense to me, but it could be either a very bad thing, neutral, or possibly a good thing (least likely outcome). Hard to say why that did that. I would guess that they needed more time to crunch the numbers after spotting a discrepancy.

The SOL earnings postponing is what has me nervous. As you say, I think there's probably a better chance that it is perceived as a bad thing rather than a good thing (even if it is neutral, such as an accounting error). Of the solar companies, I currently hold SPWR, CSIQ, TSL stock and SOL, TSL and CSIQ options. My SOL and TSL options expire in Sept while CSIQ expires Jan 14. My plan is to sell my SOL and TSL options tomorrow, regardless of how well JASO does. I just think there's too much of a chance that the reaction to SOL's earning is negative and the options won't have time to recover before expiring.

On another note, Solar City does look tempting at this level. Question is, do you try to catch the falling knife or wait until it starts rebounding and miss out on a percentage of the uptrend?

Don't try catching a falling knife. I tried last year with aapl on mult occasions and it doesn't work. Wait at least until SCTY recaptures some of the short term moving averages such as 10 day and 20 day. Also, with the uncertainty of a conflict in Syria, the trend in the overall market is unclear, ie keep your positions small until a trend develops.