Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alternative Energy Investor Discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guess I'm officially part of this forum :D

Nov '13 strike $31. Betting on a sharp turn around and a good earnings call sometime in November.

Also bought some SNE Jan '14 calls at $26, but obviously that doesn't pertain much to this forum :D

I got leaps on everything in solar :D

Good job. Don't be afraid to take some profits. Solar has been on an epic run in the past week, and a correction is inevitable. These stocks are still "cheap" so maybe the rally lasts another week or two, but I doubt it. People will start taking profits eventually.

It is up to you how, when, and if you want to take profits. But what I do is simply sell a higher strike option (same expiry) to create a delayed construct bull call spread (thanks ongba). Then you can re-deploy that same capital during a correction, and start the same process. You can do this over and over with the same capital as long as your market timing is perfect, haha.

Looks like SCTY is back! Either I called the trough correctly (with my money) or this is a dead-cat bounce. The only thing that worries me is that solars have been going up for 5 days straight and so has the general market in the past three days. I am worried that the market will correct tomorrow or early next week and bring the solar stocks down with it. So SCTY is not in a good position to rally, but if it does end up in the green when the rest of the market is going down you will know that the bottom has been set.

I paid .10 above the ask price before the market opened this am. I wanted it really bad. I felt it had hit a really solid bottom. My exit plan is to sell half when it hits $31 (hopefully early next week) then ride the rest and try to time it near the top. Like I said, this is my first near term option trade so it's an amount I am comfortable loosing and considering tuition to "Options Trading 101". If it has a huge rally I might just exercise it

SCTY had some serious resistance today at $30, but it finally broke out on its 3rd try. I think this might be a good sign if we can hold that number and continue gaining for the rest of the day.

I think you can thank me for this, I showed some bad attitude on SCTY and finally sold all my short term options yesterday. Of course I get punished for my lack of patience today :mad: but rewarded too since I still have my core stock holding and some leaps :biggrin:.

I really liked the strong rebound today, it appears that the sector recovered from the sell off. I saw the agreement to provide 2+ megawatts to east bridgewater and if that's adopted by other towns, it could really boost scty. I wasn't a fan of the fact that they first sell back to national grid at net metering and then distribute the power- personally, they'd be way better off by distributing the power directly and cutting national grid out... but that's not going to happen since nat grid owns the distribution.
Anyway, I'm glad for the turn around, still quite underwater on the position. I had sold off 80% of my position two days ago at 29.70 and when it returned to 29.70 I grabbed april calls. I am kicking myself right now for selling off and not loading up further, but also in my experience it seems that the first rally occurring after a long trend is not sustained without solid news. I'll be looking for a move to 31 then a return to 29 or below for 2 more weeks. Then we can make the real rally up.

Bounced back below 30$. The level has been retested twice so far with no luck. It still feels pretty solid though.... or is it just wishful thinking? I bought a JAN14 bull call spread 25$-40$ for 5$ today. Anyone else doing similar strategies?

Anyone can explain why in the past 3 days, SCTY was down $1.5, up $1.5 and down $1? Is there any real news affecting the fluctuation or just random?

I am too concentrated in TSLA so can't digest what is going on. I do have position on SCTY since earning and is taking away some buying power. I should not allocate that much for it.

I think that around $29 is a reasonable and realistic basis for the current SolarCity, now that the hot air has been released. I believe the company's prospects are good and that we'll soon see the stock rising again. What are your thoughts, guys?

I have to sort of agree here. I'm actually looking for a $27 entry. I sold everything months ago at $33 and didn't believe in the massive bubble it made. Even when we got to 29 months ago I thought it was sort of silly...

Has anyone read this yet?

Germans Revolt Against Germany's Green Energy Revolution - Forbes

What do you think? If one of the greenest countries in the world is having trouble, what does that say to an even bigger country, us?
It means that massive public subsidies for solar are going to end sooner or later. I'm really not bullish on LT prospects for growth in SCTY and it's competitors, therefore, unless the manufacturing costs continue to come down to bring the cost of solar to wholesale grid parity (not just the easier mark of retail parity, which has already been reached in many areas).

Has anyone read this yet?

Germans Revolt Against Germany's Green Energy Revolution - Forbes

What do you think? If one of the greenest countries in the world is having trouble, what does that say to an even bigger country, us?

From what i have heard Germany swore after they lost WWII that they would be energy independent. That is their reason for investing so heavily in nuclear and renewables. With Fukushima they are now planning on getting rid of nuclear. The cost to install solar has dropped so much that if no energy received incentives solar would win hands down. Other countries especially eastern Asia are massively investing in solar infrastructure. This is why solar is so hot right now. If you want to learn more from the top trusted research firms in the industry visit solarbuzz and green tech media. Spend some time on those sites researching the industry before trusting the mainstream media. It's the same reason we all trust TMC over everything else.

- - - Updated - - -

For those that are interested in learning more about what energy sources are subsidized. Cleantechnia published an extensive report about 6 months ago comparing them.