Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alternative Energy Investor Discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a few short term calls for SPWR into earnings that i lost on as well as a Jan14. Jan 14 is slowly making a comeback. I bought more LEAPS in the dip and those has now covered the two Short term calls i lost out on in Q2. So Q3 going well would put me back in the money again on SPWR. If not then i will lose the Jan14 calls as well but still have my LEAPS and probably buy more to try and once again cover my loss on on the JAN14 Calls. But i hope it doesnt come to that and i can break even and get out of my JAN14s and ride my LEAPS for profit. So all in all i am looking really strong if SPWR delivers in Q3. Then my only laggards will be Intel and AMD which i will be dumping before earnings. They are both killing me. Old Tech is definitely not the place to be anymore.

SPWR is not an earnings play type stock. I would hold those J15 LEAPS until expiration if I were you. I will take them off your hands if you want to sell them. IIRC, you bought some J15 $40s for $1.xx?

If you have to ask what expiration month to buy or what strike price to buy, then you probably shouldn't be buying options in solar. If you want to do options in solar then you should be doing a ton of due diligence and not trust the word of some random guy on the internet that uses sleepyhead as his handle.

Sleepyhead, I appreciate all your feedback.
I must say when I purchased those Nov strikes I was more in the gambling mood. Now, not so much... I'm human that way. :smile:
I don't need people to tell me exactly what to buy. I simply believe there is value when people share their investment strategy / rationale for picking a particular option. Obviously LEAPs are safer but some people might prefer the 15's vs 16s or even feel comfortable with options 6 months out. I'd like to hear that and know why.

Also, I think you might be surprised how many people put a level of trust in what you say on these forums. A trust I think you've earned although maybe you don't want it. You are not 'some random guy on the internet' here on TMC. I've been reading for long enough - months - to know this.

Sleepyhead, I appreciate all your feedback.
I must say when I purchased those Nov strikes I was more in the gambling mood. Now, not so much... I'm human that way. :smile:
I don't need people to tell me exactly what to buy. I simply believe there is value when people share their investment strategy / rationale for picking a particular option. Obviously LEAPs are safer but some people might prefer the 15's vs 16s or even feel comfortable with options 6 months out. I'd like to hear that and know why.

Also, I think you might be surprised how many people put a level of trust in what you say on these forums. A trust I think you've earned although maybe you don't want it. You are not 'some random guy on the internet' here on TMC. I've been reading for long enough - months - to know this.

I invest in these companies exactly the opposite way of what I recommend other people to do and that is why I don't like disclosing my options positions; so that others don't try to copy me and lose money because of the extreme risks that I take.

Using CSIQ as an example, I have a whole assortment of options and bull call spreads from $11 all the way up to $36 with expiration months in Nov, Dec, Jan, April, but no LEAPS.

I recommend people to do the exact opposite and buy shares and LEAPS, because that is the safest way to make money and it will be very hard to lose money on CSIQ with this strategy (unless there is a black swan event or a major global recession).

I have a very specific strategy though and I don't want people buying an option that I bought, because I may have purchased it as part of my bigger strategy. I also do tons of trades per month and quickly move in and out of positions.

Buying CSIQ shares is easy money, options not so much but do offer a higher payout if timing is right. You can still make a ton of money with LEAPS, so you don't have to be buying front month options.

I invest in these companies exactly the opposite way of what I recommend other people to do and that is why I don't like disclosing my options positions; so that others don't try to copy me and lose money because of the extreme risks that I take.

Using CSIQ as an example, I have a whole assortment of options and bull call spreads from $11 all the way up to $36 with expiration months in Nov, Dec, Jan, April, but no LEAPS.

I recommend people to do the exact opposite and buy shares and LEAPS, because that is the safest way to make money and it will be very hard to lose money on CSIQ with this strategy (unless there is a black swan event or a major global recession).

I have a very specific strategy though and I don't want people buying an option that I bought, because I may have purchased it as part of my bigger strategy. I also do tons of trades per month and quickly move in and out of positions.

Buying CSIQ shares is easy money, options not so much but do offer a higher payout if timing is right. You can still make a ton of money with LEAPS, so you don't have to be buying front month options.

I like your advice and prefer the riskier option, personally. Please don't stop giving us this invaluable info! :)

A forum contributor had brought up the thought of impact the need for lithium for increased battery production would have on lithium mining company stocks. Got me to start reading about these companies. There a bunch of them valued at less than $.10/share and a couple larger players. Not sure if this is a good route to go. Anyone else looked at them?

SQM (Chile) FMC (US) CLQ (Canada)

Im kind of in the middle, I play all kinds of options. Maybe abit to eager :). However lets not forget SOL. If demands still goes strong the polysilicon prices will go up. This will obv be good for SOL(and DQ). Zacks just upgraded SOL to strong buy, they are pretty bullish on solar, but they have a HOLD rating on CSIQ. http://www.nasdaq.com/article/renesola-upped-to-strong-buy-analyst-blog-cm284368

Zacks research is completely useless and they have no idea what they are talking about. They just downgraded CSIQ to sell: "This suggests that investors may better off exiting this stock before it falls back to Earth."

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/top-canadian-solar-inc-csiq-103416452.html

It might have a little pullback, or maybe even a big pullback if the whole markets start tanking, but in the end it is extremely undervalued and eventually the share price will have to go up a lot.

- - - Updated - - -

How do I know Zacks Equity Research is useless? Because CSIQ is up 3% pre-market just two hours after they downgraded to sell.

Zacks research is completely useless and they have no idea what they are talking about. They just downgraded CSIQ to sell: "This suggests that investors may better off exiting this stock before it falls back to Earth."

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/top-canadian-solar-inc-csiq-103416452.html

It might have a little pullback, or maybe even a big pullback if the whole markets start tanking, but in the end it is extremely undervalued and eventually the share price will have to go up a lot.

Yeah I just saw that. Its up premarket tho, propbably thanks to Northland

Guys, I am just speculating. No reason for SOL to be up this much. I am sure that there is insider trading going on in these Chinese stocks. The major stock price movements before major announcements leads me to believe that SOL will announce something soon.