Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alternative Energy Investor Discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm happy that my option trading habits have reached a more mature level these days. Took my gains (From 18 JAN 62.50 puts) at nearly the bottom of SCTY's dip early today and ran. I figured the lockup would have some impact on this week, but things very starting to get a bit less clear from the last few posts on here and TCI regarding the size of the release and the Baird upgrade. At the very least, I figured it wouldn't be green all the time everyday and I'd get the win if I could time the entry/exit points right.

Thinking of getting some JASO shares, or perhaps medium term calls. Need to read more first, but I like a lot of what Sleepyhead has said so far.

I'm happy that my option trading habits have reached a more mature level these days. Took my gains (From 18 JAN 62.50 puts) at nearly the bottom of SCTY's dip early today and ran. I figured the lockup would have some impact on this week, but things very starting to get a bit less clear from the last few posts on here and TCI regarding the size of the release and the Baird upgrade. At the very least, I figured it wouldn't be green all the time everyday and I'd get the win if I could time the entry/exit points right.

Thinking of getting some JASO shares, or perhaps medium term calls. Need to read more first, but I like a lot of what Sleepyhead has said so far.

I also sold off 60% of my SCTY puts at a profit (most on today's early morning dip) and running the rest at risk free right now. I am not sure if this lockup will make any difference though; we will see tomorrow.

As far as JASO goes it is a coin flip: either it does as I expect and crosses $20 in 2014 or it doesn't. The reason I like this coin flip though is because even if it doesn't do well, the strong balance sheet will be enough to keep the stock from going down too much. Win = up 100%+, lose = down ~30%. I like those odds a lot, but that style of investing isn't for everyone.

A while back I had to pick between CSIQ and SPWR in my portfolio. I picked SPWR. I figured CSIQ had already had a good runup by early-mid december when I made the choice and SPWR was flat and had room to move.

Sure looks like a bad choice right now :(.

I couldn't decide so I sent 50/50. Slowly buying more tsla also. The spwr pain is only temporary I hope.
In fairness to SPWR, if I chart the last 3 months of a bunch of them, SPWR is in the middle of the pack: CSIQ, SOL, TSL, YGE, SCTY, SPWR, and JASO.

SCTY and CSIQ have huge growth, the others are all negative, and SPWR is right in the middle running flat.

Yeah, I just got in at the wrong time. I'm in the hole by a bit but CSIQ is making that up and then some.

I look at Price/Sales, PEs/ forward PEs, growth, and profitability and the sub-sector they are in before I choose. I still don't own SPWR just because I think solar will become a Chinese stronghold as what is designed and built is relatively non-complex compared to a complex tech Tesla, just for comparison's sake. How many Chinese car companies do you know that are selling cars in the US and are truly competitive (so far)? American companies will likely face tough completion from a price standpoint in solar and any innovation US companies make- from a technology or business model standpoint- China will catch-up fairly quickly. That's what I think so far. Let's see what happens.

CSIQ and TSLA rallying. Who would have thought after a day like yesterday? I didn't see the Tesla press release coming either. Now JASO just needs to sober up and be more active.

EDIT: Let's virtual high five for CSIQ hitting $40 for the 3rd time.

Last edited: