Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AltiMAX RT43 Installed today.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SabrToothSqrl

Dec 5, 2014
PA
Went with these:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...utoModel=Model 3&autoModClar=Rear-Wheel Drive

Now on wife's M3 RWD

Got roughly 20k out of the OEM tires that had ZERO grip in the snow. Actually, I take that back, they had negative grip. At one point while trying to go forwards, the car slid backwards down hill! so... yeah. negative grip. lol.

Hoping between the 700 UTQG rating and 65,000 mile warranty, these last longer.

So far, she says: They are louder.

More info coming soon!

Drove about 100 miles or so. Wife says they are much better in the wet and snow. I had these up to 80 mph. No vibes. I couldn’t tell if they were any louder than OEM. I didn’t hear anything objectionable at any speed.
Hoping to get 40k out of these. I think they have a 65k warranty. Only time will tell. I can say I don’t think my wife is an overly aggressive driver fwiw. I actually think they ride a bit smoother than the OEMs. I find the 3 rather bouncy vs. my old S.

Attachments

• 5329AA43-C25A-467B-B67C-2703D681F3A0.jpeg
    5329AA43-C25A-467B-B67C-2703D681F3A0.jpeg
    424.2 KB · Views: 1,199
  • 185A1064-A8C8-4926-AF06-79277DC13947.jpeg
    185A1064-A8C8-4926-AF06-79277DC13947.jpeg
    426.3 KB · Views: 487
  • Informative
Reactions: Boourns
I have the same ones on my Subaru Outback. I put them on in December. So far they’ve been great in the rain and snow. Only difference is I have the “T” rated tires. Strangely enough the T rated tires have a 75K warranty whereas the H or V rated ones have a 65K warranty. Definitely will consider when it comes to replacement of my Model 3 OEM tires. I was just reading the warranty and it says “repair voids warranty” Hope they’re not referring to a puncture repair. Will have to look into this.

Last edited:
Update to the warranty. I emailed tire rack and here’s their response fwiw:

“Thank you for your email. In order to be eligible for a warranty the repair needs to be a proper patch and plug repair. If improperly repaired this will void a warranty.”

• Informative
Reactions: 0ptions
Wife arrived home (RWD) to an inclined driveway where she got stuck only weeks ago on the OEM (bald) tires.
Her car couldn't make it up at all.
Blue pill jokes aside, it was useless in the snow.

Yesterday: 3-4" of fresh snow on driveway. Dead stop at bottom as she slid rounding the turn and panicked. I watched as she backed up to the bottom, and braced myself for the inevitable stuck that proves why you need AWD in PA...

Well, I was surprised and delighted. Her car walked up the driveway without any hassle.

She drove home in 2-4" of snow, traveled un-plowed roads, and said these tires made her feel solid and secure in the car.

So... without any scientific equipment or testing, I think we can call the tires 'good'... and at 1/2 to 1/3 the price of OEM... a win?

I'd have to check her dash for the wH/mile lifetime, but maybe I can setup a trip one called 'new tires'. and report back on both (the latter in a year).

• Informative
Reactions: chinnam3
Yes, General Altimax RT43 are well rated/reviewed tires made by Continental. Rating are closer to Continental PureContact. Continentals are tiny bit quieter compared to RT43s, otherwise these are very good tire.

Mileage, I am not sure, my thought are you would get around 40k. Otherwise these are very good tires.

Wife arrived home (RWD) to an inclined driveway where she got stuck only weeks ago on the OEM (bald) tires.
Her car couldn't make it up at all.
Blue pill jokes aside, it was useless in the snow.

Yesterday: 3-4" of fresh snow on driveway. Dead stop at bottom as she slid rounding the turn and panicked. I watched as she backed up to the bottom, and braced myself for the inevitable stuck that proves why you need AWD in PA...

Well, I was surprised and delighted. Her car walked up the driveway without any hassle.

She drove home in 2-4" of snow, traveled un-plowed roads, and said these tires made her feel solid and secure in the car.

So... without any scientific equipment or testing, I think we can call the tires 'good'... and at 1/2 to 1/3 the price of OEM... a win?

I'd have to check her dash for the wH/mile lifetime, but maybe I can setup a trip one called 'new tires'. and report back on both (the latter in a year).

Yes, please report back with any changes in wh/m consumption between Michelin and General RT43.

Thx

I saw these tires and am considering them simply because they're much cheaper than the OEMs. Looking forward to hearing about efficiency.

The only part that is holding me back is the speed rating. Now I'm not planning to go near the 149mph limit of V rated tires (can't go that fast anyways with my AWD), but research is telling me that the speed rating also speaks to how well the tire can handle certain stresses. And with the model 3 having lots of torque, I can see this being a concern.

Any thoughts on this?

Hopefully more W-rated tires that are more eco-friendly can start being made (aside from the OEM ones).

No plans to hit 149. I think it will do just fine. My understanding is that has to do with the heat generated from the rubber flexing at those speeds. Even if you were to do 149, I don't think you'd be doing it long...

You are correct. It is about how tire will handle heat generated at the rated speed. Its common people switch between H <> T, and V <> H rated tires.

Like you said, it is extremely unlikely we will drive at that speed any longer stretch. May be racers needs to look out for it. I wouldn't worry about.

saw this today:

When you purchase a set of four (4) select General passenger tires you may be eligible to receive a $50 General Tire Visa Prepaid Card by mail-in rebate. Offer valid on tires purchased from Tire Rack's in-stock inventory between 12:00 a.m. EST March 1, 2019 and 11:59 p.m. EDT April 30, 2019.