TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Always Low, Is it bad?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by JPUConn, Oct 2, 2016.

1. JPUConn

JPUConn Member

my car has the smart air suspension. I appreciate the aesthetics of the vehicle in Low setting.

Originally I had the suspension set to Always be in Low but a member of the team at the service department warned me that I will burn through my 19" tires in Low as the suspension camber changes in Low to a point that causes excessive wear.

I currently have it set to 55mph to lower the car on the highway and bring it back to standard at the preset speeds. With the majority of my miles on the highway I don't know if I'm causing premature wear by having this set to Low. Tread depth measurements from the past 5k miles measure 10/32 inside/middle/outside.

What to do?

2. steve841

steve841 Active Member

IMO ... never set to low. The first set of tires had several thousand miles worth of tread remaining - but had cord showing on the inside edge of both rear tires.

Second set --- never lowering car --- almost perfect wear.

• Like x 1
  3. tezzla

tezzla Member

I've had my 2014 P85D on 19's set to ALWAYS LOW, I got 20k miles on the tires with no problems.
    On my 2013 P85 I only got 10k before showing cord (although, it had the 21's)

• Like x 1
  4. theslimshadyist

theslimshadyist NashVegas!

Does SAS have an auto mode where it raises and lowers based on the terrain?

5. Patrick W

Patrick W Member

I have it on my S and as far as I know it changes back to standard only depending on speed (does that automatically) or to a higher setting automatically based on where you've programmed it to do that (but then back to standard when you reach a certain speed.

6. theslimshadyist

theslimshadyist NashVegas!

Thanks. I thought I read somewhere that you can program based on where you are and that it uses a GPS marker so it knows when to adjust. I have some good use cases with places that I frequently visit where even in my BMW, I have to exit on an angle so the skid plate up front doesn't make contact with the road.