Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I getting a rejected car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all. I placed an order for a Model 3 Performance a few days ago. I was told at that time not to expect delivery until at least June but today I was assigned a VIN and expected delivery date of 3/29-3/31. While I'm excited the process has moved so quickly, I'm wondering if I will be receiving a car that has been rejected and should I be on the lookout for issues?

You should look it over the same way you were going to look it over previously. Even if the car was assigned to someone else, that doesnt mean they rejected it. With that being said, we dont know.

Its the end of the quarter, though, so tesla always tries to sell as many cars as possible at the end of the quarter. They ship cars to be on site to be sold so they can hit those sales dates. You ordered right before the end of the quarter, so its just as likely to be just a car they had there as anything else, but you should still look it over however you were going to previously.

If this is too fast, simply tell them "this is a bit too fast for me, I will not be available to take delivery until after (insert date in 2nd / 3rd week of april), that would almost assuredly push you out to end of june delivery.

Reactions: BeeGood
Hello all. I placed an order for a Model 3 Performance a few days ago. I was told at that time not to expect delivery until at least June but today I was assigned a VIN and expected delivery date of 3/29-3/31. While I'm excited the process has moved so quickly, I'm wondering if I will be receiving a car that has been rejected and should I be on the lookout for issues?
You should check the car thoroughly regardless. The car might be rejected by someone, or it might be someone changed their mind.

Reactions: BeeGood
Lol, I predicted this would happen to some. Check it over like a normal delivery, they always make extras and some people cancel orders. Be happy you didn't have to wait that long ;)

I just placed my order couple days ago, was told by an advisor that I'm in line for a June delivery. On the Tesla website, expected delivery is 1-13 weeks. Wondering why such a big gap. But sure I wouldn't mind if they have a car for me right away.

Thank you all for your replies.

I ended up taking delivery and overall the car is in good shape. I found one panel gap "between the trunk and C pillar" unsatisfactory. The right side of spoiler is detached slightly as well. I was told both issues would be corrected and pictures were taken by a service rep. On my drive home I discovered the steering wheel alignment is off, about 5 degrees right is needed for the car to track straight. I have seen these issues from others on this forum so im hopeful they will be corrected at my scheduled service appointment.

They were extremely busy and I hope the promise of correcting these issues wasn't just lip service to get me out the door.

I'll keep you all posted.

That’s funny, the same exact thing happens to me last week. We ordered on Friday, wait was 9-13 weeks, but Saturday morning came and we had a vin assigned and were supposed to take delivery between Saturday and Tuesday. We ended up making a change to our order so our date got extended but yeah it’s crazy.

I wanted to close the loop on this thread. I brought my car in for service to correct the issues I had on delivery. When dropping off the car the first thing I see walking in is a sign that states “Tesla reserves the right to refuse service to anybody.” I thought that was a little odd but maybe these are standard at all Tesla locations? I understand the policy and I’m sure there are some customers that are just impossible to please but is this sign really necessary. All of the issues were corrected accept for the trunk alignment, it’s somewhat improved but not what I consider acceptable for a brand new car. I’ve seen others on this forum post instructions on how to make the corrections and I plan on doing this when I have the time.

With all of that said, I’m happy with my decision and I don’t regret buying the Model 3 Performance. I’m just a little disappointed with the customer service experience so far. It was a struggle to convince the person helping me that my concerns were valid. I left feeling like they were doing me a favor making things right.

With all of that said, I’m happy with my decision and I don’t regret buying the Model 3 Performance. I’m just a little disappointed with the customer service experience so far. It was a struggle to convince the person helping me that my concerns were valid. I left feeling like they were doing me a favor making things right.
you've articulated the reason i hope to never have to go back to a service center. its like they inherently lack all logic and sense

and dear lord help me if someone below chimes in with a "my experience was GREAT!!!11" we get it, you work for tesla, move on :)

If it was with black interior, it could have been one of the two I released. I’m not ready to take delivery (garage won’t be ready until next week).
Can you explain more about the "release" process? So I'm assuming Tesla assigned you a 3 that matched your order, but you declined delivery? How many times can you do that before Tesla goes "OK, forget you, we're just keeping your $100 and cancelling your standing order"?

Can you explain more about the "release" process? So I'm assuming Tesla assigned you a 3 that matched your order, but you declined delivery? How many times can you do that before Tesla goes "OK, forget you, we're just keeping your $100 and cancelling your standing order"?

Its better to have tesla put a "do not deliver before" date in your file, so they do not assign a car to you before that date. I doubt there is some hard and fast rule on how many times you can say "I am busy I cant take the delivery date you assigned to me", but at some point they would likely ask you what date you would be available for delivery and put that in your file to not deliver till after that.

Its better to have tesla put a "do not deliver before" date in your file, so they do not assign a car to you before that date. I doubt there is some hard and fast rule on how many times you can say "I am busy I cant take the delivery date you assigned to me", but at some point they would likely ask you what date you would be available for delivery and put that in your file to not deliver till after that.
That is possibly an unoffical way of doing things. If I compare my LR order to other very excited people in the LR waiting room, it looks like my dates are not moving much compared to theirs. It's been moving but like only once every other week. Pure speculation on my part.