Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I overthinking things?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As I mentioned, I picked up the 5-20 and 6-20 already at a nearby service center on a lunch break, so now I can charge just about anywhere I am likely to need to.

I had a good SoC when I arrived this morning, so I went with the 5-20 outlet just so that I could have a read on the charging rate for future reference (and also to leave the 6-20 outlet for one of the other Tesla drivers- I don't want to be rude and claim it for myself every day). My anectodal results so far:

5-15 - ~3mi/hr
5-20 - ~6 mi/hr
6-20 ` ~15mi/hr

Given that my one-way commute is only about twenty miles, I doubt that, road trips notwithstanding, I'll be biting into my supercharging credit a lot before it expires.

Interesting. Do you recall the voltages for those 3 readings? I get 5 mi/hr on my 5-15, so my expectation (based on calculations taking into consideration the fixed overhead) would be 5, 7, and 14 mi/hr (using 115V and 208V for the 6-20).
So pretty close. Although that 3 mi/hr seems pretty low. Is this an SR+ or LR?

This was for a LR AWD; I'll make a note to record the voltages and amperages for all three as opportunities arise.

For LR AWD take 10% off my numbers due to "slower" charging (higher consumption constant on LR AWD adds 'miles' slower than on an SR+).

Also, my numbers are based on longer charges, not the number on the screen, which can fluctuate while you are watching it, and if you are in the car with screen and HVAC on while you are watching it, the accessory use gets subtracted out of the charging speed.