Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Charger Dropping Voltage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a model 3 dual motor. My charger used to work fine about 5 months ago. Now for past couple months, every time I plug in the charger, I have amperage drop. Sometimes it goes down to 5 amps sometimes 10-20...it varies. When I turn off mobile access it charges at 48 amps. I don't have any app that would be causing that issue other than Tesla app. I also have Tesla solar and my inverter was down for about a month. During the time inverter was down it charged at 48 amps with mobile access on. I have emailed Tesla support several times and hasn't been helpful at all. All they say is wiring is the issue. I have tried turning off the phones that are connected to car and that hasnt helped at either. Now my inverter is back up running and I have amperage drops again. Anyone know what would be causing the issue? I don't suspect it's wiring because it charges fine with mobile access off...I have logged into the wall charger also don't see any error codes.

I don't have any app that would be causing that issue other than Tesla app.

You say this, but have you ever, at any time (ever) used any app at all that is supposed to help with scheduling charging, power flow, etc? This includes any and all apps / websites etc that state the will help you charge with solar, or any other interaction between your power and your car charging. Even if you "only tried it once and deleted it" or "I canceled that a long time ago so I dont have it" have you ever even once done that?

If so, change the password on your tesla account, and then monitor and see if this corrects the issue.

An example of this is this thread here:

Reactions: dcfas
You say this, but have you ever, at any time (ever) used any app at all that is supposed to help with scheduling charging, power flow, etc? This includes any and all apps / websites etc that state the will help you charge with solar, or any other interaction between your power and your car charging. Even if you "only tried it once and deleted it" or "I canceled that a long time ago so I dont have it" have you ever once even done that?

If so, change the password on your tesla account, and then monitor and see if this corrects the issue.

An example of this is this thread here:

I have used apps once and deleted it same day but haven't changed password. Going to try now and will update it.

I have used apps once and deleted it same day but haven't changed password. Going to try now and will update it.

You may need to give it a bit of time after you change your password to ensure your token is expired. In other words, dont expect to change your password right now, then try it 10 minutes later and say "nope that wasnt it". Give it a day or two, after changing your password, before thinking "that wasnt it".

Reactions: Rocky_H
Yeah, changing your Tesla account password is a prudent step when you have these kinds of problems.
This looks like it may have solved the problem. I had tried optiwatt back in April/may...I will provide an update after few charge sessions in the coming days. It has been working fine for past 30 or so mins charging at 48 amps. I was surprised how Tesla support wasn't able to solve this. I hope this has fixed it. I did delete the app in few days but looks like they still had my token :(

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
This looks like it may have solved the problem. I had tried optiwatt back in April/may...I will provide an update after few charge sessions in the coming days. It has been working fine for past 30 or so mins charging at 48 amps. I was surprised how Tesla support wasn't able to solve this. I hope this has fixed it. I did delete the app in few days but looks like they still had my token :(
Once when I had a potential problem, Tesla support did suggest that I change my account password.

That particular app (Optiwatt) is one of the ones I remember people having who post problems like this. If you search here for "optiwatt" you will find people in various threads about "why isnt scheduled charging working for me?!?!?" or "Car starts charging immediately?!?!" or some such thing ending up saying "oh, yeah I had tried optiwatt (insert some time period ago) but I dont use it".

• Informative
Deleting the app generally does nothing. The work is done by the app's servers. All deleting the app does is ensure that you don't have any control or get any notifications when they do stuff to your car. A lot of people don't understand how all this works.

• Informative
This looks like it may have solved the problem. I had tried optiwatt back in April/may...I will provide an update after few charge sessions in the coming days. It has been working fine for past 30 or so mins charging at 48 amps. I was surprised how Tesla support wasn't able to solve this. I hope this has fixed it. I did delete the app in few days but looks like they still had my token
As @davewill mentioned, deleting the app doesn't do anything. I give the analogy like if you used a telephone to call your bank and scheduled some recurring payments. Then people say, "I disconnected my phone, but the payments are still happening."
Yes, the phone isn't what is making the payments. That was just your interface to make changes. The actual activity is still happening at the bank's servers.

That particular app (Optiwatt) is one of the ones I remember people having who post problems like this. If you search here for "optiwatt" you will find people in various threads about "why isnt scheduled charging working for me?!?!?" or "Car starts charging immediately?!?!" or some such thing ending up saying "oh, yeah I had tried optiwatt (insert some time period ago) but I dont use it".
Just wanted to provide an update. I've had 5 successful charging sessions since this post. Thanks you all for fixing my issue. :)

Reactions: alexgr
Probably, this is not an issues here (after reading a few posts), but I had the charger overheated once and reduced the charging speed considerably. I cleaned the prongs with alcohol and the issue has gone.