Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I too strict with tint quality and PPF?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently had my Model 3 Performance wrapped in PPF plus tinted all windows. This the the first car that I've had PFF or tint put on. I went to a vendor that is active on TMC and is known for their quality. My experience was not great and I would like to know if my expectation is too strict or if I should go back to the installer and ask them to fix my issues.

Issue #1: Paint chip
I noticed a paint chip immediately after delivery. I looked back on photos from delivery and it was delivered that way. I asked the installer if I should have Tesla fix it before taking it in for PPF and he said, "no, I'll take care of it". When I picked up my car, the paint chip was half-ass covered in touchup paint and was still very visible under the edge of the PPF. I pointed it out and the installer apologized, cut away some of the PPF, and then added more touchup paint. He said it would dry and look fine. A day later, I think it looks like crap ( IMG_0612.jpg ). I wish I would have had it fixed correctly by a Tesla body shop first, but I foolishly trusted the installer to "take care of it".

Issue #2: Bubbles and dust in tint
The windshield was tinted in a very light Xpel heat-blocking tint. Upon driving away from the installer I started noticing bubbles. One is super annoying because it reflects the white paint of the hood (IMG_0611.jpg ). The others are just plain annoying because they can be seen. There are roughly 8 or so on the windshield. Some have a piece of dirt/grime in the bubble so there is no way it'll go away.

IMG_0609.jpg IMG_0607.jpg IMG_0610.jpg IMG_0608.jpg

Issue #3: Communication
This is just a compounding issue. I was not satisfied with the communication from the installer. They kept the car for 3 days longer than quoted because "they weren't done yet and didn't want to rush it" (took 6 full business days plus a weekend to get done?) They didn't tell me about the delay until I called to check the status. They didn't call me back when they said they would. And they let the charge run down so low I couldn't make it home without stopping to charge.

PPF plus tint plus ceramic coating on non-PPF areas was over $4500. The installer has nothing but rave reviews on TMC and Yelp. Am I just out of line in thinking that the paint chip and tint should be perfect for the price I paid?

Thanks in advance!

dude, oh wow. im surprised that the installer would try to make a quick buck on you with that, "come in now and ill fix it" statement. Well i have my cars and others i have had done really well at www.2mppf.com . they wont mess with you like that. they are up front. they told me that my preexisting chip needs to be fixed before they do it or it will show. they said getting it done at the dealership is best as they will cover and warranty that stuff and they can not match it with touch up. with that up front honesty, your not surprised and no one is upset. they are new and actually care for their name, so they will treat you right, they did with me.

can i assume the tactic was very pushy to do it with them right away and tried to get you on the tint as well? who was it so we can at least be aware of them.

This is not even worth $1,500 in my opinion. He definitely messed up the paint selection. the tint needs a week with some occasional time in direct sunlight, if there are still issues then I would complain.

1500? He paid 4500...yes the tint needs to sit in sun for week to confirm bubbles will go away

I had my cars (except for the Model X's windshield) tinted the last 12 years by the same guy. The first time it was alarming to see the bubbles right after the tint, but they all go away after a week or so. You just need to let the sun does its job. Take it back if there are still bubbles after 2 weeks. Although a few of those bubbles does seem quite large.

Almost full car. Only the trunk, rear quarter panels, and pillars are ceramic.

Update: I talked to the installer. I'm taking the paint chip to a Tesla body shop to get fixed. They'll probably pull off the PPF and it'll have to be reinstalled (watch me get charged for this). The installer will look at the tint in a few weeks (to let bubbles naturally dissipate), but he was pretty much saying that it won't be perfect and to not expect it to be perfect. :(

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA