Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I too strict with tint quality and PPF?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So the vendor reached out to me because of this thread. They want to make it right. I can’t edit my post with the name but I’ve asked the mods to strike the name out.

I’ll update after they have a chance to fix things.

Please stop PMing and posting asking who it is. Thx.

Reactions: TheLocNar
Hello everyone. My name is Mike and I am the owner of Appearance Solutions. This thread was brought to my attention earlier today. However, none of these concerns are anything I wasn't aware of, except for the last one. Prior to my knowledge of this thread, I had already spoken with our client (tambam) regarding his concerns and we anticipate seeing the vehicle in the next few weeks to address them. Unfortunately, we have not yet had a chance to see the vehicle in person, nor have we had an opportunity to make any necessary corrections.

Issue #1 (preexisting chip)

Unfortunately, the vehicle had a preexisting chip on the bumper near the headlight, potentially caused during assembly, in transit, or for some other reason. I was simply trying to be helpful when I offered to touch it up, which is something I will do at no additional cost to my clients. If anyone is experienced with touching up a chip, in most cases it's merely to hide the contrast, but near impossible to make it completely vanish and blend with the existing paint surface (chips create a void or crater-like area). In my professional opinion, touching up a chip of this nature is preferred over respraying the entire bumper, as respraying has the potential to create additional unanticipated issues. I see a lot of resprays, and oftentimes they result in more imperfections than would come from a touch up of one small chip. This expectation was discussed with our client ahead of time, and it was agreed that I would do my absolute best to touch up the chip, so as to make it less noticeable.

In hindsight, this chip was in a really bad location, as it was directly on the transition into the headlight pocket where the film stops. Had it been in the middle of the bumper we would have had better success. Unfortunately, we didn't have good adhesion of the touchup paint and during installation (a mixture of soap, 70% isopropyl alcohol, and water is used) some of the paint was partially removed, causing it to be slightly transparent and unacceptable to our client.

Issue #1 (preexisting chip) Resolution

It was agreed that he would discuss his complaint again with Tesla, as this was originally their issue to resolve, and he has decided to have them fix (repaint) the bumper. Once Tesla repairs the bumper to his satisfaction, I plan to re-install the film on the bumper at no cost to our client.

Issue #2 (tint)

While our client has raised some concerns as it relates to a couple windows that were tinted, we still have not had a chance to inspect the vehicle in person. Therefore, I’m not able to take any corrective measures at this time.

Issue #2 (tint) Resolution

If the areas of concern are not correctable, the film will be replaced without question and at no charge to the client.

Issue #3 (communication)

First, I would like to take responsibility for the breakdown in communication. I apologize for not accurately setting the expectation for when the vehicle would be completed when I originally quoted a timeframe of 4-5 days. Unfortunately, sometimes vehicles take a bit longer than expected on our end, and instead of rushing to finish it on schedule we rather keep the vehicle as long as necessary in order to provide the best quality installation.

As for the vehicle running low on change, we make every effort to accommodate our electric vehicle clients. However, we do expect both our petroleum vehicle clients and our electric vehicle clients to bring the vehicle to us with sufficient fuel/energy to be able to return it with fuel/energy remaining. Of course, if a client brings a lack of charge to our attention when their vehicle is dropped off, we can prioritize the vehicle for charging in one of our wall outlets.​