Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ambient lighting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As fortunex said, there are several options to replace the bulbs in your foot wells, puddle lights (underside of the doors), the glove box and the trunk.

I purchased brighter white LEDs for my glove box and trunk. Then I replaced my footwells and puddle lights with a dark blue LED. I also installed a blue LED lightbar under each of my front seats to shine into the footwell in the rear.

There are several aftermarket dealers that can sell you these and they are easy to install.

If you mean the footwell, the "puddle lights", the glovebox and trunk lights, it's very easy to swap in brighter or colored LED assemblies that cost around $5 each. High brightness is great except in the footwells, where in spite of some dimming once you start driving, too bright is distracting. Other spots like the ceiling use different assembles. There are all sorts of "neon tubes" and other crazy lighting schemes that can be powered from the rear USB ports or the 12v "cigarette lighter" socket. Of course there are remote controlled versions of everything blingy & chinesey. Have fun, and don't overpay, it's all cheap parts.

blue20200311_050433cm.jpg

Last edited:
For the ambient lighting setting - you can swap the two footwell LEDs to colored ones. The issue is that they are like 10x brighter than the originals.
Kind of bright to be leaving on all the time..

So an alternative is: go to amazon and search for: color cellophane wrap
and wrap the existing lights..

But then there is the tradeoff - when you open the door, the brighter lights are nicer to see.
What's more important- color lights on entry, or color lights while driving?

Attachments

• IMG_0959.jpg
    IMG_0959.jpg
    283.3 KB · Views: 280
On my Model 3 anyway, the brightness of the footwell lights drops to a much lower level when the car is being driven, and is turned up as shown at standstill. Of course you don't want to install your brightest LEDs in the footwells, save those for the puddle-lights or the trunk. Cellophane sounds interesting, more colors to choose from.