Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone that completed a Tesla delivery in Texas?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I received the email from T that you have to pay the sales tax/title fees directly to the DMV yourself in TX (after delivery). I would guess people are withholding some of their "down" money to cover the sales tax?

Is there a way to schedule a pre delivery inspection and test drive of the specific vehicle you are buying prior to actually paying for and picking up the new vehicle? Obv dont want to complete the vehicle trade in either until I am sure I am taking the vehicle. I would not be trying to pdi and take delivery at same appointment. I would PDI then if acceptable, get the insurance for the temp plates, fund the purchase etc schedule delivery.

You may want to get this moved to a more general forum. Or delete this one and create a new one. Tax isn't going to change based on the car type.

I think that if you do a little Internet searching, about Texas law and buying cars out of state, it is well documented.

So I received the email from T that you have to pay the sales tax/title fees directly to the DMV yourself in TX (after delivery). I would guess people are withholding some of their "down" money to cover the sales tax?

Is there a way to schedule a pre delivery inspection and test drive of the specific vehicle you are buying prior to actually paying for and picking up the new vehicle? Obv dont want to complete the vehicle trade in either until I am sure I am taking the vehicle. I would not be trying to pdi and take delivery at same appointment. I would PDI then if acceptable, get the insurance for the temp plates, fund the purchase etc schedule delivery.
I live in TX, when i purchased my Y back in 2020, I went with UFCU for financing and they did an estimate of tax I have to pay and ask if I would like to put that in my loan. I said yes and they gave me the tax portion (forgot if they cut me a check or just to my checking account) and they paid Tesla directly on the portion that due before delivery.

I want to say there is no pre-delivery inspection, your delivery date is your inspection date. I printed the checklist which i found online and just mark everything i need them to adjust in the later days. You can refuse to accept the car (which I never done that before), not sure if they have any penalty. I hope this helps.

Reactions: rstx
Is there a way to schedule a pre delivery inspection and test drive of the specific vehicle you are buying prior to actually paying for and picking up the new vehicle? Obv dont want to complete the vehicle trade in either until I am sure I am taking the vehicle.

You can try to see if Tesla would let you test drive prior to accepting the delivery but that is not how it has practiced so far.

It is not a standard dealer that you can test drive and make sure it's acceptable for you.

Tesla wants you to pay first and if there are defects, you have to take responsibility, take time off to get it repaired by Service Center.

Reactions: rstx
You can try to see if Tesla would let you test drive prior to accepting the delivery but that is not how it has practiced so far.

It is not a standard dealer that you can test drive and make sure it's acceptable for you.

Tesla wants you to pay first and if there are defects, you have to take responsibility, take time off to get it repaired by Service Center.
Ok thanks, yeah want you to fund days in advance and sell your trade etc prior to seeing the actual vehicle. Hmm decisions. Thanks

Ok thanks, yeah want you to fund days in advance and sell your trade etc prior to seeing the actual vehicle. Hmm decisions. Thanks
Isn't the funding piece instantaneous in the app? Meaning, could you do the inspection and, if acceptable, press the button to fund and then they'll release? I saw a YouTuber in Cali do that, not sure how it works in TX.
I'm in TX as well, but the last time Tesla made me pick up in Colorado (long story) so I'm not sure how it works yet either.