Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another 15K miles report

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

efusco

Moderator - Model S & X forums
With an average of 315 Wh/mi I've used 4739kW of electricity and that's with some pretty spirited driving.
At $0.11/kW that's ~$520 worth of electrons used. There are some vampire losses not figured into those numbers, but there was also some "free" charging not figured in, I figure it's a wash.

Doing the math at current gas prices (I'll use $3.50/gallon) I would have purchased 148.5 gallons of gas...I'd have needed a gas car getting 101MPG to go 15,000 miles for that cost.

I've accumulated a lot more miles than expected. My Prius averaged 12-18k miles per year. I got my Tesla Dec. 3, 2012, so I'm on track for about 22,500 miles in my first year! It's out preferred vehicle for pretty much everything. Loaf of bread at the shop a mile up the road to a 230 mile one way trip for a Cardinals baseball game. I've taken ~6 "long" trips of over 400 miles round trip.

I've had many of the widely reported issues reported by other early adopters (one spontaneously opening door, fogging driver's side window, moisture on the tail lights, clicking steering, etc.), but no major operational or safety issues at all. The only lingering annoyance, really, is the lousy audio quality for the bluetooth microphone. It is awful to listen to on the outside caller's side, and leads to problems with the voice recognition being practically useless.

Could not be happier with this choice. We still have the Prius and Highlander Hybrid, my wife switches back and forth b/w the HiHy and the Prius as her daily driver while we await arrival of her Model X still some 18 months from now.

2013-08-31 15.59.52.jpg

awesome, 5k miles on mine... what kind of rated miles do you get now when charging?

It really depends, since the advent of the slider/variable charge level option it's different almost every time.
But for a max/range charge I now just get up to about 260-262 miles where I originally got 272. I'm not sure what to make of that though...it's certainly possible that I've lost 10 miles of rated range, but it's just as possible that it's simply related to a change in the way the software is programmed since I only noticed the drop after the v4.5 software.

The only lingering annoyance, really, is the lousy audio quality for the bluetooth microphone. It is awful to listen to on the outside caller's side, and leads to problems with the voice recognition being practically useless.
Have you had your microphone swapped out? Early VINs have reported getting them swapped for an improved mic for free to address just this type of problem. You might want to check with your SC if you have not.

Very cool--thanks for the report!

Great to see real world costs and usage average. So roughly it's about 2/3 cheaper with electric vs gas? Using your stats of needing a car to get 101 MPG, if one got 30 MPG in an ICE, then about 2/3 cheaper. Very good to know! My wavering on going with the extra for + is already paying off LOL!

Have you had your microphone swapped out? Early VINs have reported getting them swapped for an improved mic for free to address just this type of problem. You might want to check with your SC if you have not.

Honestly, I have no idea if they've swapped it out. It was reported and I asked it to be addressed at the 12,500 service, but I never saw a breakdown of exactly what was or was not done. In any case, if they did, it works no better now than before. I'll be sure to bring it up again at the next service visit as I would like for it to work better.

- - - Updated - - -

Very cool--thanks for the report!

Great to see real world costs and usage average. So roughly it's about 2/3 cheaper with electric vs gas? Using your stats of needing a car to get 101 MPG, if one got 30 MPG in an ICE, then about 2/3 cheaper. Very good to know! My wavering on going with the extra for + is already paying off LOL!
For right now that's right...gas prices fluctuate a lot compared to electricity cost with a clear upward trend in gas prices. An EV becomes progressively more economical to drive where a gas vehicle becomes progressively less so.