Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another broken control arm thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

2018 Model S with 43k miles on it

Yesterday morning as I was backing out of my driveway, my car locked up with a rubbing coming from the rear passenger side. I go around and see the wheel locked up inside the well, and after further inspection the lower controll arm snapped. I have not hit any potholes or anything ,and when I parked in the garage the night before there was no indication anything was wrong. I am VERY grateful it happened outside my house and not on the highway during my commute to work. Got it towed to the Tesla dealership and they are saying they will not cover it as the Warranty ended in March.

Upon doing further research it appears this is a very common occurence for cars that were manufactured at the same time as mine and there is even a TSB and a revised part.

They havent given me an estimate but I dont expect it to be cheap.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation and succesfully had the repairs covered? I think it is complete BS that this is a known issue and the car is just barely out of the warranty

Images of the damage

I upgraded to the N2itive Camber and Toe arms for that exact reason on my ‘17 MS 100D. Best of luck with the SC and keep us posted!!
I love N2itive and highly recommend their products to everyone. However, this looks like the lower arm that broke based on the bottom of the tire sticking so far out. If I'm not mistaken nobody has a lower arm stock replacement part for sale.

Could the OP post a pic of the other side of the tire so we can see exactly where it broke? Although since the OP said he paid out of pocket I'm assuming the repair is completed and the car is back on the road so unless any pics were taken beforehand its a lost cause, did it look like the pics that Richard S 85 posted on that other thread?