Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another subwoofer option - NVX Audio

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I were to pull power from battery would it matter where I grounded? Or should I connect to battery for both positive and negative?

There is some discussion about the grounding points. The NVX install video shows that they install to just a chassis ground, a bolt under the seat that they ground with a wire wheel for good connectivity. At this moment in video:

For people without the factory subwoofer, they are also using the mount point/bolt for the plastic guard in the trunk as their ground.

Grounding terminal: SR+ has a black plastic covering where subwoofer would be in premium. I use the bolt that hold this plastic piece near the right taillight as my ground (-) wiring.

Travis originally used the grounding point from the OEM subwoofer amplifier, which is also the bracket that holds that amplifier, or the plastic shield. He moved it to the front 12V battery ground while trying to figure out a noise issue, but it didn't solve that problem (was a bad DSP amp).

I think you can use any chassis ground because that's what Tesla did for the OEM subwoofer amp. Doesn't hurt to run a ground wire to the battery as well, but it's not necessary. But if you use a chassis ground, be sure to grind the surface and use a lock-washer so that you can be certain it has good connectivity.

Found a really terrific thread regarding grounding for the car, and probably the source for the example from your link where the Hansshow shorted out and killed the car. Similar idea at least.

Of all people, I know it's annoying and difficult to get a straight answer out of the internet. You basically always get conflicting information because google just gives you links with no quality or accuracy metric. So you can search for "only use front 12V" battery and get all the links, and then "only use penthouse 12V" and get links. Google is the king at providing confirmation bias.

So who do you trust? In that thread I link there- JWardell disagrees with the orginal poster. Who to believe the OP who talked to the most excellent Tesla Tech, or JWardell? No question in my mind- JWardell. He says to use the penthouse connector. And for the same conclusion I came to, which is that Tesla monitors the 12V battery for health, and will report errors there if it sees unusual draws.

In that thread, JWardell also shows the grounding strap to demonstrate that chassis ground is in fact the negative 12V battery side, just like we expect.

If I were to pull power from battery would it matter where I grounded? Or should I connect to battery for both positive and negative?

Are you planning to install the NVX Boost kit using their VADM1 and XLCA2? And also, are you adding this to a premium LR stereo or the SR stereo?

Depending on the scenario, I think another interesting option might be to use the auxiliary plug in the center console as the power source. I've not seen anyone talk about this because mostly people are adding monster stereos, but the VADM1 is really efficient, and if you are connecting it normally it's a 4 ohm load for the subwoofer boost box, which means the amp is running at 180W RMS max. XLCA2 draws 150mA.

The center console plug is specified by Tesla as being the definitive location to draw power, and it can provide 12A continuous. That's 12*12= 144Watts. 16A peak, which is 16*12= 192Watts for peak handling. That's enough to run that amp without any problems. And also that power supply has a software circuit breaker, so if it ever actually does overload, you see it without is harming anything else in the car. It also has a nice auto-power-off when the car sleeps.

I don't know of anyone using this, but it is worth consideration for anyone just installing the VADM1 + XLCA2 + Boost in a SR.

Last edited:
Yesterday I completed my install. I would say the "hardest" part was the jack nut. I used a step up drill bit and made micro adjustments, but the hole became just a tad too big. I used gorilla glue to glue it in place, but only time will tell if that worked.

Here is what I did for my installation
1-turned off power from the head unit
2-disconnected negative on battery
3-removed all the interior pieces
4-unplugged oem amp harnesses and removed all electrical tape and tesa tape so that I could install posi-taps farther away from the oem amp
5-installed posi-taps
6-grounded oem amp, XLCA2 and VADM1 to the metal bracket where oem amp was grounded
7-installed fuse holder (w/o the fuse) and ran power cable back to VADM1 with zip ties along oem wire bundle
8-installed power cable onto penthouse (pictured below is how I did it)
9-installed fuse into fuse holder
10-re-connected ground wire at battery
11-tested to make sure everything worked
12-tuned (to the best of my ability)
13-re-installed all the interior pieces
14-tested with a couple songs. Didn't want to do long in my garage so I'll wait to go on a drive to test it more, but so far it sounds good.

I placed both the VADM1 and the XLCA2 next to the oem amp and sub for a easier installation. They both fit and are snug in this location. The only drawback to this is if I wished to do anymore fine tuning, all the interior pieces would have to come out to do that.

I would say start to finish, took me about 4.5 hours. I took my time trying to figure out best location to install the VADM1 and XLCA2 and how to best connect power wire to penthouse.

For those who may ask. I did leave oem sub connected and wired NVX sub out of phase. I played a 50-54hz tone at around 3/4 volume. On the XLCA2, I have the bass threshold dial all the way clockwise. I turned the bass level dial up until the maximized led turned red, then I backed it off until light was no longer on. On the VADM1 I set the LPF around 80hz, subsonic to around 25hz and sens all the way down and if I remember correctly, the boost at mid point.

I am pretty sure it could use some more fine tuning, but I think I got it pretty close. I'll report back later as I listen to it more.
Any error messages since install?

I've had the NVX system installed for a while now, and enjoy it very much, but am getting a bit of an itch to improve on it, particularly regarding extension. Output falls off rapidly below about 29Hz in my setup. Would really like it to hit solidly down to at least 25Hz, 20Hz ideally. Maybe that's asking too much for a 10" sub and a box this size. Some ideas to try:

- My installer ended up wiring in-phase to the stock 8" sub; I couldn't tell much difference. Has anyone measured to confirm out-of-phase is the way to go?
- Add polyfill to the inside of the box. I believe someone else earlier in the thread said this helped extension. Not sure how much to add?
- Double check (subsonic?) filter setting; I think my installer went with NVX recommendation but not positive on that.
- Possibly replace the woofer itself with something like this 10" Sundown? I think the depth would work, but not sure about the mounting holes? Any other considerations to a swap?

I know from some posts above that we could put in substantially bigger amps, and there is the big sub trunk area, but I like having that extra space for storage and would prefer to keep the stealth enclosure.

I've had the NVX system installed for a while now, and enjoy it very much, but am getting a bit of an itch to improve on it, particularly regarding extension. Output falls off rapidly below about 29Hz in my setup. Would really like it to hit solidly down to at least 25Hz, 20Hz ideally. Maybe that's asking too much for a 10" sub and a box this size. Some ideas to try:

- My installer ended up wiring in-phase to the stock 8" sub; I couldn't tell much difference. Has anyone measured to confirm out-of-phase is the way to go?
- Add polyfill to the inside of the box. I believe someone else earlier in the thread said this helped extension. Not sure how much to add?
- Double check (subsonic?) filter setting; I think my installer went with NVX recommendation but not positive on that.
- Possibly replace the woofer itself with something like this 10" Sundown? I think the depth would work, but not sure about the mounting holes? Any other considerations to a swap?

I know from some posts above that we could put in substantially bigger amps, and there is the big sub trunk area, but I like having that extra space for storage and would prefer to keep the stealth enclosure.

The subwoofer in the Boost box is speced down to 20 Hz. VSW104v2 | 500 Watt RMS Dual 4 ohm 10" Car Subwoofer

So that would suggest that it's something else in your audio chain that is limiting it. Definitely worth checking the subsonic limiter. If you feel that it's not powerful enough you could experiment with running the dual cones in parallel at 2 ohms. The VADM1 can run the subwoofer at 320W at 2 ohms.

Might also be worth experimenting with disconnecting the stock subwoofer, because if it's out of phase it might be canceling out. You should be able to tell by trying both directions though.

I installed today. But no sound coming from subwoofer at all. Checked all connections 3 times and all seem good. I can get bass light or whatever on xlca2 to turn on if I mess with gains but no sound at all. Any ideas?

Maybe check the connections used? Jared Bienz blog suggests there was some confusion over the actual connector: M3S: Tap and Layout – The Blog of Jared Bienz

You could also route those connections directly to the NVX subwoofer as a test to see that it is functional and that you have the right connections.

So if I go direct to subwoofer from taps it works. So it could be: bad vadm1 outputs? Bad signal (bass out) from xlca2 to vadm1? Both power lights work and I see the bass light going off an on on xlca2. I called nvx but they are closed on weekends I guess.

Sounds good. That means the subwoofer is OK, and also proves that have you connection to the correct signals from the Tesla amp. That means the fault must be in between those two points.

Since the XLCA2 shows activity, it's most likely working. It's fairly unlikely that the VADM1 is dead on arrival, but maybe.

Looking at the manuals for these, there are a couple of possiblities. Make sure the remote out from the XLCA2 is wired correctly to the VADM1. If that signal was missing, the VADM1 would not power up. Check the PRT/Power switch on the back. If I understand correctly, that chooses between always powered, or using the remote turn on. Would be worth flipping that to PWR as the always on state.

Check the volume levels. It could be working OK, and just be turned down to zero. Sending the amps with volume set to zero would be a good idea from NVX. On the XLCA2, you would want to bump the Bass Level dial on the top of the box. Don't go crazy, but it probably can't be set at zero. Same thing might go for the Sens dial on the VADM1. It'll be set for lowest volume likely, and you can dial it up a bit to test. Since the output from XLCA2 is the input of VADM1 for volume, you generally don't need to tweak both, but I've no actual experience with this specifc gear.

Probably unrelated, but you might want to change the LPF on the VADM1 and turn it up. If it's set to 50Hz, that means nothing gets through above 50Hz, and it might not be clear.

I don't have this kit and am doing something completely different, so I'm just offering general suggestions. Outside of those ideas, you need to follow the signals and see where they stop working. For example, it seems like the output from XLCA2 is working based on the LED blinking, but if you can test the output itself, that would verify it.

It also might be worth trying to look for other NVX videos that show how they setup the XLCA2 to see if something pops out to you.

Sounds good. That means the subwoofer is OK, and also proves that have you connection to the correct signals from the Tesla amp. That means the fault must be in between those two points.

Since the XLCA2 shows activity, it's most likely working. It's fairly unlikely that the VADM1 is dead on arrival, but maybe.

Looking at the manuals for these, there are a couple of possiblities. Make sure the remote out from the XLCA2 is wired correctly to the VADM1. If that signal was missing, the VADM1 would not power up. Check the PRT/Power switch on the back. If I understand correctly, that chooses between always powered, or using the remote turn on. Would be worth flipping that to PWR as the always on state.

Check the volume levels. It could be working OK, and just be turned down to zero. Sending the amps with volume set to zero would be a good idea from NVX. On the XLCA2, you would want to bump the Bass Level dial on the top of the box. Don't go crazy, but it probably can't be set at zero. Same thing might go for the Sens dial on the VADM1. It'll be set for lowest volume likely, and you can dial it up a bit to test. Since the output from XLCA2 is the input of VADM1 for volume, you generally don't need to tweak both, but I've no actual experience with this specifc gear.

Probably unrelated, but you might want to change the LPF on the VADM1 and turn it up. If it's set to 50Hz, that means nothing gets through above 50Hz, and it might not be clear.

I don't have this kit and am doing something completely different, so I'm just offering general suggestions. Outside of those ideas, you need to follow the signals and see where they stop working. For example, it seems like the output from XLCA2 is working based on the LED blinking, but if you can test the output itself, that would verify it.

It also might be worth trying to look for other NVX videos that show how they setup the XLCA2 to see if something pops out to you.
I got it working! I made sure ground was ok, and took everything off amp and reconnected one by one. I did t realize the light I was seeing in amp was that it was going into protected mode. Red not it blue, so I think I had bad ground connection. All good now. Now just need to tune and put back together. Seems like a lot of knobs. Not sure which ones to mess with on either amp or xlca. I will start with nvx recommendations and go from there. Thanks for all your help! And if you have any advice on tuning im all ears.

This type of install isn't particularly hard, and special tools aren't required, but I would strongly suggest watching a bunch of videos on how the panels come apart and go back together. Watch videos from several different people as everyone seems to have different techniques. Follow the directions of the manufacturer of the kit you end up getting, and give yourself lots of time to do the install so that you're not rushed. Also, and this is VERY important, familiarize yourself with how to completely disconnect all power in the vehicle before making any of your final connections.

I didn't have any recent experience with stereo installations, but I used to do a lot of it back in the 90's. Without that knowledge, it would likely have taken me the weekend to complete. From start to finish, it took me 5 hours or so, but most of that was because of the failed jack nut in the NVX kit. Later, it took me another hour to do the proper tuning of the LOC and amp with a multimeter while playing a test tone. That last step was WELL worth it though because it made all the difference in the world for sound quality.
@MapledLeif would you share your settings? Trying to get a place to start and not sure which to mess with first.

@MapledLeif would you share your settings? Trying to get a place to start and not sure which to mess with first.
For sure I will. It seems that after some time, trunk rattling, and now a different season with colder temps, my settings could use a readjustment anyway. The downside to my installation is that I have the amp and LOC mounted in the stock sub location which is behind the carpet on the right hand side. It's not the easiest to access (although it's out of sight and that's worth the effort). When I get some time to get in there, I'll take some detailed pics of the settings. For best results though, I would suggest getting a multimeter as even the SLIGHTEST adjustments can make a pretty big difference.

For sure I will. It seems that after some time, trunk rattling, and now a different season with colder temps, my settings could use a readjustment anyway. The downside to my installation is that I have the amp and LOC mounted in the stock sub location which is behind the carpet on the right hand side. It's not the easiest to access (although it's out of sight and that's worth the effort). When I get some time to get in there, I'll take some detailed pics of the settings. For best results though, I would suggest getting a multimeter as even the SLIGHTEST adjustments can make a pretty big difference.
Thank you!