Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another Tesla Service Concern

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's a 2019. They know this as they have remote access to it.

No just wondering how many miles on original tires. I see posts about how "Teslas are harder on tires than ICE". The "theories" I see are b/c its so much heavier than a similar car?

I always expected it to be significantly more...and haven't seen that.

Screen Shot 2021-10-03 at 2.41.42 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-10-03 at 2.41.48 PM.png

There are no goal posts in life.
Well, perhaps the phrase "logical fallacy" will be better understood. What you wrote in your reply has nothing to do with the discussion. The OP's point was that they received an estimate to inspect the car for a warranty covered item. Your response was about whether a warranty claim was denied and therefore an expense of the owner. It has nothing to do with the discussion.

I guess we could now discuss who pays in the event you drive your car over a cliff. It's equally as relevant. Meaning it's not.

Reactions: Sunny5280
Well, perhaps the phrase "logical fallacy" will be better understood. What you wrote in your reply has nothing to do with the discussion. The OP's point was that they received an estimate to inspect the car for a warranty covered item. Your response was about whether a warranty claim was denied and therefore an expense of the owner. It has nothing to do with the discussion.

I guess we could now discuss who pays in the event you drive your car over a cliff. It's equally as relevant. Meaning it's not.

Everybody gets a trophy!!!

And I agree not sure why you're bringing up driving off cliffs. ;)

IMO if a vehicle is under a bumper to bumper warranty then the repair estimate should be $0.00. In all of my years having vehicles repaired under warranty not a single one had an estimate for cost prior to the examination of the issue. This is, IMO, a black eye for Tesla.
Dont accept the $$ until they tell you its covered under warrantly

I had a tire i just had to have serviced. They told me it would be $500 dollars and i had to come in. THey asked if i could go to the service center right away (they had an opening) I asked if it was covered under warranty, and he said "don't worry, it will be taken care of"

I was still really nervous, but brought it in, and sure enough, they fixed it, and my invoice was adjusted to zero. Then i accepted it (alhtough the work had been done already)

I was very happy with the service all around.

Reactions: Sunny5280
I have no idea to what extent tesla covers "wind noise", and to what extent (if any) such coverage might extend to purchases of used teslas not from teslas used car inventory.

Its my personal opinion that the OP in this thread will be told "this is within spec" or "this is not a warranty item". I am not making any statement about what should happen, etc, just what I think will happen.
====================================
(moderator note)

On a side note, a lot of threads on topics like these normally devolve into.. lets call them "heated disagreements". I am somewhat pleasantly surprised that the discussion in this thread has not quite devolved into that as of yet, and is just the regular "back and forth" type opposing statements that are regular discussion.

With that being said, here is another gentle reminder for people to keep the discussion and opposing opinions respectful. Thanks.

Reactions: SaintMickey®
I have no idea to what extent tesla covers "wind noise", and to what extent (if any) such coverage might extend to purchases of used teslas not from teslas used car inventory.

Its my personal opinion that the OP in this thread will be told "this is within spec" or "this is not a warranty item". I am not making any statement about what should happen, etc, just what I think will happen.
All remaining warranty coverage should be extended to me as a buyer unless the warranty specifically prohibits it. I wouldn't be surprised if you're right about their diagnosis given they have already sent me an estimate for $135. It appears that's the direction they're headed and they want to get money from me to tell me that.

So far I am not impressed with Tesla as a company. I had concerns about their longevity before buying one but thought I was being overly concerned. It seems Tesla needs every dollar they can milk from their buyers to stay in business.

• Funny
Reactions: SaintMickey®
All remaining warranty coverage should be extended to me as a buyer unless the warranty specifically prohibits it. I wouldn't be surprised if you're right about their diagnosis given they have already sent me an estimate for $135. It appears that's the direction they're headed and they want to get money from me to tell me that.

So far I am not impressed with Tesla as a company. I had concerns about their longevity before buying one but thought I was being overly concerned. It seems Tesla needs every dollar they can milk from their buyers to stay in business.

My personal experience with my vehicle developing "noises" (in my case, an annoying rattle, after a year and half of ownership), was for tesla to tell me that "rattles are only covered XXX amount of time, and if you want us to diagnose and repair this, it will be YYY per hour charge" which I declined.

So, I dont think tesla is going to cover any "wind noise" complaint unless its super obvious where its coming from, AND its something like weather stripping coming off etc that is obviously a warranty item.

With that being said, Other than the above story, my experience with tesla service has been pretty positive, but I certainly have heard enough stories to know thats not the case all over. I also am of the opinion that so many people have "beat up" tesla service people over this or that perceived issue, that in general, they are completely desensitized to customer complaints. When you get yelled at all the time by a bunch of people, many of which are rude, you tend to start ignoring everyone in general, even the people who are not rude.

Even the above story I am detailing, the service advisor was apologetic about it and was prepared for me to go ballistic on them. When I didnt, I could literally see the tension and apprehension drain from his face, and we had a good discussion about a couple other things.

I am likely a bit more forgiving than some, of "line level" customer service people, since I have "been that person" in my career, and also managed people performing that task. Not for cars, but for IT, but customer service experiences are the same across industries.

I realize I just said a lot of words to basically say " I dont think they are going to cover it unless its obvious" which is what I said in my last post as well.... shrug lol.

My personal experience with my vehicle developing "noises" (in my case, an annoying rattle, after a year and half of ownership), was for tesla to tell me that "rattles are only covered XXX amount of time, and if you want us to diagnose and repair this, it will be YYY per hour charge" which I declined.

So, I dont think tesla is going to cover any "wind noise" complaint unless its super obvious where its coming from, AND its something like weather stripping coming off etc that is obviously a warranty item.

With that being said, Other than the above story, my experience with tesla service has been pretty positive, but I certainly have heard enough stories to know thats not the case all over. I also am of the opinion that so many people have "beat up" tesla service people over this or that perceived issue, that in general, they are completely desensitized to customer complaints. When you get yelled at all the time by a bunch of people, many of which are rude, you tend to start ignoring everyone in general, even the people who are not rude.

Even the above story I am detailing, the service advisor was apologetic about it and was prepared for me to go ballistic on them. When I didnt, I could literally see the tension and apprehension drain from his face, and we had a good discussion about a couple other things.

I am likely a bit more forgiving than some, of "line level" customer service people, since I have "been that person" in my career, and also managed people performing that task. Not for cars, but for IT, but customer service experiences are the same across industries.

I realize I just said a lot of words to basically say " I dont think they are going to cover it unless its obvious" which is what I said in my last post as well.... shrug lol.
IMO they should fix it right the first time and not have to worry about doing it a second time. However if they can't do that then they should fix it until they get it right. If they decline to fix this under warranty then I will have just added yet another notch to ensure that prospective owners are made aware of the penny pinching by this company.

This is poor customer service from a company that needs to generate goodwill from its customers. Every other vehicle I've owned has, when taken to the dealer for work, never charged me a diagnosis fee to determine if something is or is not covered under warranty. A little goodwill goes a long way. Conversely penny pinching, at least with vehicles that cost $60K, is bound to do more damage than good.