Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another WiFi Bad Actor - SOLVED - Wink Home Control

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
MOTHERF*C*R!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been trying to fix this damn issue since last January!!!! I've tried every kind of router, setting, connection. I got a brand new Tesla! Nothing!!!! Freakin' Wink!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I saw this I realized that the issue started happening when I installed the winks in my house to run my caseta wireless switches. Then it started happening at my other house, when I installed the same f-ing setup!!!!! DAMN YOU WINK AND THE HUNDREDS OF HOURS AND HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS I'VE SPENT TRYING TO FIX THIS!!!!!!!!!!

Whew. I feel better. Thanks for listening.

Ok, now stay with me. Breathe in and out, paying attention to the breath. Repeat as necessary. That's it. You should feel better in just a few minutes. :)

• Funny
Reactions: jdjeff88 and bmah
I was updating all my Winks to Wink 2s today and as always the transfer did not go smoothly so I took the opportunity to discuss this with them. They said that the Wink 1s had a lot of antennas and that caused interference but that all those troubles went away with Wink 2. I said, no they did not and explained it to them. They just seemed confused so will try again tomorrow.

Yes, I know that and tried to explain that it wasn't the multi-broadcast from the wink as it interacted with my various devices but rather the wink traffic within the network itself. Lo and behold, I set up a cascading network with a 50 buck Belkin b/g/n router set up in a completely separate IP pool xxx.xxx.2.x vs. xxx.xxx.1.x and subnet, connected the WAN port of the new router to my main router via a couple of powerline adapters I had sitting around so I could put the new router in the garage and voila! Rock steady 5 bar connection. 1 whole f-ing year wasted on this nonsense. My wife just rolled her eyes at me and said not only could she care less but she had no idea what I was talking about. Shouldn't have to be a network engineer (or passionate amateur) to make your car connect properly to your network. I have 54 separate devices that connect just fine without macro and micro-scale network tinkering (or swearing or kicking puppies). Why should Tesla be different!!?

Reactions: Galve2000
Funny I was in a similar situation and also even went out and bought an Orbi system and couldn't get it working on that on the Guest network. One day I just decided to disconnect everything one by one until I found the culprit. Your comment about being a network engineer was exactly what I told Tesla :)

Also have now set up a completely separate network / subnet with a separate Asus router I had lying around and only put the Teslas on that network. Works just fine now, but the pain of getting it working was crazy.

Right! I have Orbi systems at three houses with Winks in each and totally blamed the Orbis/or Directv and their DLNA badness or my QNAS hogging the port that Tesla likes or a hundred other things. Wink. Grrrrrrrrrrr

I know what you mean. I've spent at least $600 trying various hardware and dozens of hours over the past year.

Ahh, but at least now you have a solid wifi setup.

Seriously, Ubiquiti makes good stuff. I've switched over from various NetGear and ASUS hardware to be 100% UniFi APs, so I recognize the controller UI when I see it.

I also used to be a Wink user, but switched to SmartThings. Not sure if that'll cause similar issues, but just in case, my plan is to create a guest wireless network on a tagged VLAN in the UniFi controller. The VLAN should ensure that the car is isolated from any broadcast or multicast traffic on my regular network.

A few updates concerning the Wink conflicts:
  1. As @NewTMSMan already found out, the Wink 2 Hub doesn't make any difference. I bought a Wink 2 Hub anyways since I wanted some of the new functionality and my brother was interested in my first Wink hub. I confirmed the Wink 2 hub still appears to cause interference whenever it is connected. If I use wifi or the new ethernet port, whenever Wink is plugged in, all of the cars will constantly cycle through wifi and LTE. As soon as the Wink hub is unplugged, the cars will connect to wifi and stay connected.
  2. I opened a ticket with Wink and they have responded. They said that in the past, they knew about issues with the Wink Hub which caused it to "route IP address as if it were set up for DHCP leasing". That issue was resolved so they need additional information concerning my setup and the problems I'm having.
  3. I bought a new AP which allows logging of the network traffic and have made some interesting discoveries. As I expected, if I unplug Wink, I can see all three cars connect at regular intervals and sometimes stay connected all night long. What I didn't expect to find was that it appears the other cars are actually connecting to the internet just fine and downloading/uploading data, even though the icon in the car constantly cycles between wifi and LTE.

We have three Teslas in the garage, all on different firmware builds.

1. From the image below, you can see that the Model S 75D (2017.48) consistently connects about once an hour for ~10 minutes at a time. Since it is a brand new build and just delivered and only has about 20 miles on it (without AP being calibrated yet), I'm not surprised to see such little traffic.
  2. The Model S 90D (2017.42) also connects about every hour or so but the amount of data transferred isn't as consistent as the 75D.
  3. The Model S 100D (2017.46) is plugged in every night and has power savings disabled. This is the car that can connect once and stay connected to wifi all night long (according to the AP, but not the icon in the car). Sometimes it connects for just 10 minutes at a time. Other times, it is connected for 8 hours or longer. It has been uploading the most data of the three cars so far.
View attachment 265770

So...maybe all the worry about the cycling wifi/LTE icon is about nothing. I spent $$$ on a new set of mesh routers, the new Wink 2 Hub, a new AP and countless hours researching the issue only to find that it looks like it has actually working behind the scenes all along. I will continue working with Wink on the interference it is causing on the network but won't worry about it as much since data is still being uploaded/downloaded from all three Teslas. According to the AP logs, nearly 1.5 GB has been transferred successfully in the past few days even though the wifi appears to have problems in all three cars.

I don't have a Wink at my house, but our 2 cars connect at various intervals, ranging from 7m to 16hrs at a time.

PS> If in addition to Ubiquity AP you also have their security gateway, you could setup a separate wireless network just for the cars if you want (separate VLAN, even different IP subnet) - no additional hardware required.

That's weird I have never had this issue with my MS. I've had Wink 2 at my home forever now. If it's a network traffic issue, I would think I would be impacted as my entire home is automated. At any given time, I have 10-12 devices connected to my primary network.

Someone up there mentioned that the Wink used its own VPN... Are we sure that's not the issue, and we aren't doing the "multiple VPNs don't work on the network" deal again? That would explain why the cars won't connect when they come back home, since, as @NewTMSMan had in the beginning, he was running a VPN off the router and that broke it.

VPN clients, of course, aren't a problem normally (we use the Pulse VPN client, multiple copies, all the time, from Windows PCs). I'm wondering again if Wink did something dumb as so many companies do and assume they are the only user of 'X' on a network.

Mine is still working great on the Orbi guest setup, but I wasn't aware how 'non-isolated' it was. Arg....

I don't have a Wink at my house, but our 2 cars connect at various intervals, ranging from 7m to 16hrs at a time.

PS> If in addition to Ubiquity AP you also have their security gateway, you could setup a separate wireless network just for the cars if you want (separate VLAN, even different IP subnet) - no additional hardware required.
We tried a separate network when we had an old Linksys router and it appeared to work.

A few weeks later, we upgraded to Orbi and the problem returned. It seems that Orbi's "guest network" isn't a truly separate network because the Wink hub instantly started causing problems again even when it was on the main network and only Teslas were on the guest network.

We tried a separate network when we had an old Linksys router and it appeared to work.

A few weeks later, we upgraded to Orbi and the problem returned. It seems that Orbi's "guest network" isn't a truly separate network because the Wink hub instantly started causing problems again even when it was on the main network and only Teslas were on the guest network.
It appears the Orbi 'guest' is 'isolated' by routing but not by VLAN, so, traffic that wants to can still get to the other network. Good enough for your party guests to have their own network, but not for wayward electronics or bad actors in general.

Mine works since my DLNAs are on the Verizon FiOS coax network, but good grief, how much trial and error do we all have to do?

It seems that Orbi's "guest network" isn't a truly separate network because the Wink hub instantly started causing problems again even when it was on the main network and only Teslas were on the guest network.
I never used Orbi, but Ubiquity Unify AP + Unify SG solution allows you to create totally separate networks (guest or other non-guest ones) - you can give it a whole separate subnet and VLAN and not allow any cross VLAN broadcasts (default setting), so no packets whatsoever can cross.

I never used Orbi, but Ubiquity Unify AP + Unify SG solution allows you to create totally separate networks (guest or other non-guest ones) - you can give it a whole separate subnet and VLAN and not allow any cross VLAN broadcasts (default setting), so no packets whatsoever can cross.
Thanks for the tip. I don't have the Unifi Security Gateway yet. When you mentioned "no additional hardware required", I was thinking you meant I could do that already via an existing router. Reading it again, I see you meant that I could do it if I had the Security Gateway.