Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anti-ICEing law proposed in Ontario

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fine drivers for blocking e-car charge stations, Markham-Stouffville MPP Paul Calandra proposes | The Star

It’s great that the issue is getting some visibility but it’s a private members bill so it’s highly unlikely that it will go anywhere. But we can certainly hope.
Funny, he says he often sees EV owners parking and not charging. I have not seen this nearly as often ace ICE cars taking the spaces. But yeah, regardless if you are parked there you should be plugged in.

Fine drivers for blocking e-car charge stations, Markham-Stouffville MPP Paul Calandra proposes | The Star

It’s great that the issue is getting some visibility but it’s a private members bill so it’s highly unlikely that it will go anywhere. But we can certainly hope.

Plus given the schedule for the OLA, it most likely won't be looked at until next year. If I were a cynic, I'd say it was just opportunistic PR to help influence edge votes for the upcoming election.

Reactions: richyrich
Funny, he says he often sees EV owners parking and not charging. I have not seen this nearly as often ace ICE cars taking the spaces.

Unfortunately, I see it pretty frequent as well. I can probably understand when ICE car driver blocks it. They just don't care. But I hardly understand when an EV driver takes the spot and not charging.

Also quite often I see drivers with accessible parking permit parking on EV spots just because it's close to the entrance of the malls.

Reactions: akidesir
Hard to enforce. I routinely find my car unplugged when I charge it downtown in the office buildings where you can share a charger to two spots. Sometimes other drivers do it which is infuriating. sometimes garage staff do it under the guise of 'the car was full already' even though my car never is.

To thn get fined on top of that wld be extraordinarily annoying. What am I going to do take a day off work to go to e parking court?

In Toronto, the parking bylaw covers EV charging indirectly. The property owner of the private parking area can impose conditions for use of a parking space. The owner can specify with a sign that a space can only be used when actively charging an electric vehicle. If you park there and aren't charging, you're trespassing.

Plus given the schedule for the OLA, it most likely won't be looked at until next year. If I were a cynic, I'd say it was just opportunistic PR to help influence edge votes for the upcoming election.

I think you're spot on sir.

Then couldn’t the Tory MPP be fined for “improperly occupying a true EV believer’s space”? :)

• Funny
Reactions: ccudmore
MPP - Member of Provincial Parliament. The fall election is federal - Member of Parliament - MP. The next Ontario provincial election is in June 2022.

Any legislation about ICEing needs to include an offense for interfering with electric vehicle charging facilities by any means except when public safety is threatened. Interference should include unplugging, maliciously terminating charging using the stop button, vandalism to the charging facility or blocking the route into a charging facility. Authorized personnel conducting maintenance, repairs or upgrading would have to be excluded.