Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anti-Theft Level - Insurance Docs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

Sorry I searched but didn't find much in terms of this.

I am picking up my new car today (EEEEEEEE!!!!!!) and was shopping around for insurance. The insurance company requires proof of the anti-theft level to get discounts. What category is this car (since it can be tracked via app and handles won't present themselves without keys and so on), and what have you guys provided as proof to the insurance company?

Any help would be appreciated! Always looking to save $$!

Your car has an alarm (not even a great one at that). Everything else is not really in the anti-theft category.

The handles not presenting themselves, is the same as a car not opening the door when you pull locked handles. It's not a theft deterrence.

The tracking via app can be disabled in about 3 seconds once inside the car (assuming it's not in valet mode).

You are able to access the car settings through the touch screen even if the keys are not in the vehicle? I did not know that.

So then, have people added other alarm/security systems to their vehicle? was hoping to get some type of insurance discount, but wasn't sure what category the items would fall into.

You are able to access the car settings through the touch screen even if the keys are not in the vehicle? I did not know that.
Not that I'm aware of, I assumed you meant you can track the car from the app once it's stolen.

To get stolen, they need the car to be on. Once the car is on (and not in valet mode), you can disable tracking.

Poor, poor Lloyd....

When I first moved to Paxson now so many, many years ago, I quickly learned our mantra to any thieves:

"It's 100 miles to the nearest intersection to our north; 100 miles to the south; 100 miles to the west. Whichever way you choose, there will be a policeman awaiting you there."

And that's why we call ourselves civilized :)

• Funny
Reactions: Joe F
Poor, poor Lloyd....

When I first moved to Paxson now so many, many years ago, I quickly learned our mantra to any thieves:

"It's 100 miles to the nearest intersection to our north; 100 miles to the south; 100 miles to the west. Whichever way you choose, there will be a policeman awaiting you there."

And that's why we call ourselves civilized :)

You have different problems! You need moose alarms!!

Your car has an alarm (not even a great one at that). Everything else is not really in the anti-theft category.

The handles not presenting themselves, is the same as a car not opening the door when you pull locked handles. It's not a theft deterrence.

The tracking via app can be disabled in about 3 seconds once inside the car (assuming it's not in valet mode).

Good point - Tesla should allow disabling tracking only with Pin Code or from the phone app.

Effectiveness aside, I gave my insurance company my owners manual.

They accepted the car had an alarm and a GPS/location tracker & mobile app based on the manual.

There wasn't any discussion about enable/disablement. But I guess on any other car, your insurance doesn't require you to enable your alarm either. Or lock it for that matter.

• Informative
Reactions: Max*