Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any 433Mhz TPMS works?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've got a set of aftermarket wheels on the way, and I'll need some TPMS sensors. I've read that they operate at 433MHz frequency. Will any set that operates at 433MHz work, or is there some other criteria needed to ensure compatibility.

That page looks helpful when changing wheels/TPMS sensors. It calls out 433MHz as the frequency, but doesn't specifically say if there are other variables involved with the sensors.

It also calls out 2012-2016 as the same procedure. Maybe that's the same, but I know the earlier cars used different 315MHz sensors. I guess my ignorance to TPMS is showing. I'm not sure if there are other things to consider other than the frequency.

Amazon sells TPMS sensors for Teslas so they must be generic. Buy sensors that match the manufacturer big online stores say are compatible, and I personally would buy from the big online store that put that in writing so I could return them if they didn't work.

Those were the sensors I originally had my eye on, but I have a bunch of ebay bucks from my wheels, so I figured I'd check there as well and found some even cheaper. These seemed like a good balance between the cheapest and some from a reputable US seller:

Set of 4 433MHz TPMS Tire Pressure Sensor For Tesla Model 3 S X 1034602-00-B USA | eBay
While these look like they should work, when I check Vehicle Compatibility on the item at ebay, it says it doesn't work with Tesla -- don't know why. Maybe the charts not updated since 2018?

I've got a set of aftermarket wheels on the way, and I'll need some TPMS sensors. I've read that they operate at 433MHz frequency. Will any set that operates at 433MHz work, or is there some other criteria needed to ensure compatibility.

What was the diameter, type, and cost of after the market wheels you purchased? Did you buy them for better traction/handling or the look?. Thanks,

Important note for anyone using this thread for research. It may be true that 433MHz are effectively "the same." However, some sellers provide "pre-programmed" sensors and some are unprogrammed. My previous experience with TPMS sensors was on my 07 Ridgeline, and that system just picked them up within a couple miles, no programming needed. Unless your shop will program sensors for free, make sure whatever sensor you purchase is pre-programmed, else you may be in for a long road of errors.

Important note for anyone using this thread for research. It may be true that 433MHz are effectively "the same." However, some sellers provide "pre-programmed" sensors and some are unprogrammed. My previous experience with TPMS sensors was on my 07 Ridgeline, and that system just picked them up within a couple miles, no programming needed. Unless your shop will program sensors for free, make sure whatever sensor you purchase is pre-programmed, else you may be in for a long road of errors.

From the link you provided above it does say this in your product description:

Program requirement:

To install and make these tire pressure sensor work, devices for example TPMS Sensor Tester, ATEQ or other reader or scanner is needed to read out the unique ID# of all TPMS and then upload those ID# to the computer to connect and program TPMS before installation. Please refer to your manual or ask your mechanic or auto store for help.

Whereas other ebay TPMS sellers from China it states this:

NO SENSOR PROGRAMMING REQUIRED :The tire pressure monitor system (TPMS) come pre-programmed specifically for your make/model/year of vehicle,just need activate them

The ones that I linked from Amazon worked for me right out of the box. I have used two sets now and neither of them required programming. A couple miles from picking up the car the car asked me to reset the TPMS and then they just worked.

I'll keep that link bookmarked in case I can't get these existing ones reprogrammed. The seller will take these sensors back, but if I can avoid the additional cost of shipping / remounting / reinstalling / new sensors, that would be ideal.

I've also considered investing in a TPMS tool to solve this myself, though I am not sure which one I would need. There are are a few that range from $20-$200.