Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TPMS issue - 2012 set-up

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think I have read through all the posts about TPMS modules.
My situation:
2012 Signature - I do not have the individual psi readings, just an over-all warning message. (At this time, I do not want to spend the $ to upgrade to the Michelin system)
Original wheels I suspect came with and still have the Tesla branded BaoLong 1010938-00-B 433MHz sensors. Hard to believe that batteries have lasted this long, but I am not the original owner either.

I was able to pick up some brand new take-offs (wheels and tires) for a song, and finally got them mounted as the other tires had finally run their course.
The new rims did not come with TPMS sensors, so after putting them on, and getting tired of seeing the error messages, I decided to get sensors installed.
This was after reading through ( I think) all the TPMS articles here on TMC.

Using the info here, and also from re-sellers online, it was either get the Bao Long (or the Tesla version of BaoLong) for $400, or use an aftermarket that was specified by several online providers and eventually what I used at my local Discount Tire -- the 433Mhz Huf - BaoLong P/N 1010938-00B (also listed as a BHSensor UV4040) [Did Huf and BaoLong merge to become BaoLong Huf Sensor -> BHSensor?]
Others here on TMC listed success with the ITM on AMZN. There are comments specifically stating success the early MDL Ss, complete with pics)

Discount Tire installed them, used their handheld TPMS diagnostic device to set them up to the car.
But when using the Tesla reset menu item, the would not reset. They went through the scenario 4 to 5 times. They stated that they perform this service on Tesla almost daily, and have not had this problem. The store Mgr took over the service, made several calls - bottom line they still do not work. In their defense, they did not charge me anything for the parts or labor.

Things I have tried:
  • Hit reset and then drove on the highway at 55+ plus for 30 mins - no change
  • Hard (two thumbwheel) boot - no change.
  • New S/W 2023.6.8 with re-boot - no change
  • Clicked on the button to change wheel type (suggested that this may help or has helped others). It did change the picture on the screens and my phone app, but now the button is greyed-out and I have 21s" listed instead of 19s". No change, and not sure what wheel size the car thinks it has.
So now I am back to where I was at the beginning: canceling the TPMS sensor error warning, then having eventually the error message showing up on the dash.

Any ideas or suggestions? 1. How to get the "wheel Change" button back to active. 2. TPMS solution?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Hi @Ron Burgundy ,

The sensors you bought look good to me...

You need Tesla to program the sensors to the car.
There is no aftermarket tool that will do this...

The process is read the tires with the Telsa TPMS tool
in the order- Left Front - Right Front - Right Rear - Left Rear
Plug in the OBD plug from the tool, turn on the "ignition"
and send the addresses to the car.

This is literally a 5 minute job when you have the Tesla Tool.
If you are friendly with your service center they may do it for no charge
or a minimal charge.
Medlock and Sons could do it too...

Good luck,

Shawn

Reactions: Ron Burgundy
Hi @Ron Burgundy ,

or a minimal charge.

Good luck,

Shawn
Thanks @ShawnA - I will give Medlock a call today and see what they can do. They are only about 15min from me! Thanks for the recommendation.

I take it you used to live in Seattle at some time? (Seeing your sig states Edwardsburg MI)

Hi @Ron Burgundy ,

or a minimal charge.

Good luck,

Shawn

I've purchased two different sets of aftermarket sensors and never had to involve Tesla for them to learn. It's always worked right off the reset button.
I don't have an alternative suggestion-- just relating my experience.

Reactions: Ron Burgundy