Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any advise on purchasing a used Tesla from the experts;-)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The other MASSIVE downside to buying from a used car dealership is the incredible risk you take with a car that has been wrecked, rebuilt, salvaged or otherwise compromised. Often times a history check, test drive or even careful inspection may not reveal this checkered past.

In my experience, shopping for used a Model S in the $40-$50k+ price range, it seems that the percentage of this being the case at a used car dealership is alarmingly high. Often times it's not easy to find even if you do your due diligence due to intentional deception and omission. There's is, after all, a LOT of motivation for a dealer/salesperson to hide this from you and convince you it's the greatest car ever.

For every person like me, yourself and the few others that have posted much negativity about ALM specifically there is 1,000 sheep that will simply stumble into a car dealership, find the car they never knew they needed and slurp up whatever the salesperson is peddling all while volunteering their monthly payment budget of "around $2,000" hoping they can "get financing done" because banks hate financing upside down cars to people who clearly don't understand finance as it makes it difficult to recoup their investment once they repo.
Yes! I 100% agree! But once again goes back to the risk you’re willing to take! I just can’t bring a female! Hence, in my personal opinion I just haven’t seen any “deals” from a used car dealership worth jumping on vs one certified from Tesla! They have all seemed to be priced very similar to Tesla’s used car prices, esp if you wait then out! But again, that’s just been my observation from what I’ve been looking for!
The only true “deal” I saw was a 2016 w/2.0 in an odd color from ALM, which was around 50 K. However this was the car which was sold but still listed!
I would say to just do your thorough research b/c I have heard of these horror stories, especially from used car dealerships; before signing on the dotted line!

I purchased from a dealer after unsuccessfully trying to buy from Tesla. Tesla was making me work way too hard to give them my money. 3 weeks into the process they still were unable or unwilling to provide me with a sales order or a delivery date. Over that 3 weeks I left a dozen voice messages and sent too many emails to count. They responded exactly 3 times. Finally on a Friday I threw up my hands, cancelled the order and demanded my deposit back. On Monday I flew to Denver and took delivery of my 2016 S 75D with AP2, EAP, unlimited super charging with 10,486 miles on the clock. The car couldn't have been in better condition. The Mercedes dealer I delt with was fantastic. The dealer even arranged for the owner to contact me to discuss him buying the extended warranty while car was still in his Tesla account. I decided against it. Couldn't be happier with the car or the buying experience. Just as some have had a bad time buying from Tesla many have not. Same holds true with ICE dealership buying experience.

I purchased from a dealer after unsuccessfully trying to buy from Tesla. Tesla was making me work way too hard to give them my money. 3 weeks into the process they still were unable or unwilling to provide me with a sales order or a delivery date. Over that 3 weeks I left a dozen voice messages and sent too many emails to count. They responded exactly 3 times. Finally on a Friday I threw up my hands, cancelled the order and demanded my deposit back. On Monday I flew to Denver and took delivery of my 2016 S 75D with AP2, EAP, unlimited super charging with 10,486 miles on the clock. The car couldn't have been in better condition. The Mercedes dealer I delt with was fantastic. The dealer even arranged for the owner to contact me to discuss him buying the extended warranty while car was still in his Tesla account. I decided against it. Couldn't be happier with the car or the buying experience. Just as some have had a bad time buying from Tesla many have not. Same holds true with ICE dealership buying experience.
Wow! That’s an awesome experience as well as very rare!! I would’ve loved that option! It sounds like you also got an awesome deal!!! Although I’m not sure exactly how much you paid for it but I know you did your research!!
I would and I’m sure many would be open to a used car dealership, if one had run across all of those options(unicorn, option for extended warranty etc), but I just haven’t! I even asked when I initially began looking about previous owners and if an extended warranty could be purchased! However, a no go in my limited time!!
I feel as if you run across a unicorn, some deals are worth negotiating and considering! I’m still in my search and congrats on yours ending!!;-)!!!

Hey guys!! The search is still on!! How do you guys feel about a private seller with a history of a fender bender( basically the car was hit while it was parked)??
(Option for extended warranty)
It’s a 2016 MS, facelift
30 K miles
AP1.0
Smart sir suspension
Hifi sound
Sunroof
Premium package.
Would you consider this one for 50k?
I plan on negotiating a 4 year extended warranty.
What are your thoughts? Would you proceed? I hate to be impatient & make a rush decision!
I know the color combo I want is hard to come by I feel!??
I’ve consulted my other Tesla experts, I’m leaning towards no but guy just emailed me back!?
Much much appreciation in advanced!!

It would depend on the condition of the car. Has damage been repaired? If you can negotiate the extended warranty and it's a D. Price isn't out of line.

I'd prefer AP2 but that's going to add about 10K so that might be a consideration.

It was hit twice however repaired at the same time by an authorized Tesla shop. The car is honestly in good condition. However, of course the hesitation is there are used Tesla's for the exact same price; with a clean title? It is a D, was a 70 D and upgraded to a 75 D.
Is it just me, but the prices of the used Tesla's have tended to creep up an average of 5K within the last week? Any explanation for this? Announcement? Fluke?
Much appreciation guys for your input!
I would prefer AP2.0, however, not trying to get in the 60's if I can help it! I've already pushed my budget from the 40's to the 50's! You guys have taught me too much....i keep adding on must haves!! Ugh! LOL!

It was hit twice however repaired at the same time by an authorized Tesla shop. The car is honestly in good condition. However, of course the hesitation is there are used Tesla's for the exact same price; with a clean title? It is a D, was a 70 D and upgraded to a 75 D.
Is it just me, but the prices of the used Tesla's have tended to creep up an average of 5K within the last week? Any explanation for this? Announcement? Fluke?
Much appreciation guys for your input!
I would prefer AP2.0, however, not trying to get in the 60's if I can help it! I've already pushed my budget from the 40's to the 50's! You guys have taught me too much....i keep adding on must haves!! Ugh! LOL!
Clean title? Is this car a salvage titled car?

The " fender bender" occurred at the end of last year. It was recently repaired less than a month ago. Hence, she states it has a "clean car fax" however I believe the insurance company/body shop hasn't reported it or it hasn't showed up as of yet?
Apparently, the car was parked both times and other vehicle traveling less than 5 miles? She initially said the back fender and front bumper was hit separately. However, after reviewing the bill it appears the front bumper was hit twice, and the back wasn't involved at all??

The " fender bender" occurred at the end of last year. It was recently repaired less than a month ago. Hence, she states it has a "clean car fax" however I believe the insurance company/body shop hasn't reported it or it hasn't showed up as of yet?
Apparently, the car was parked both times and other vehicle traveling less than 5 miles? She initially said the back fender and front bumper was hit separately. However, after reviewing the bill it appears the front bumper was hit twice, and the back wasn't involved at all??
It's still a clean title. Unless the damage was so bad that it was a total loss which it doesn't sound like.

Don't confuse a car that's had damage & has been repaired (clean title) with a car that has a salvage or rebuilt title as they're two totally different things.

Oh wow! Thank you for this! I honestly was confused and under the impression clean title meant no accidents at all! I'm new to used car buying, obviously! But you're 100% correct, I'm under the impression the damage was minor and not significant enough for the car to be labeled as salvaged!
Much appreciation and definitely noted!
With that being said, there would still be some depreciation correct?? Because it was hit and repaired?

Hey guys!! The search is still on!! How do you guys feel about a private seller with a history of a fender bender( basically the car was hit while it was parked)??
(Option for extended warranty)
It’s a 2016 MS, facelift
30 K miles
AP1.0
Smart sir suspension
Hifi sound
Sunroof
Premium package.
Would you consider this one for 50k?
I plan on negotiating a 4 year extended warranty.
What are your thoughts? Would you proceed? I hate to be impatient & make a rush decision!
I know the color combo I want is hard to come by I feel!??
I’ve consulted my other Tesla experts, I’m leaning towards no but guy just emailed me back!?
Much much appreciation in advanced!!

I would buy a Tesla 75D maybe with or without SAS for 52-53k, that way you get the 4year warranty. But that would be my feeling.

Yeh, more the fact the 4-Yr warranty offered by Tesla is the most important part of the offer.
I personally, while shopping, if it is private and is $4000 less, I am happy to purchase it, just because of the room in play to puchase the ESA from Tesla. But this is just my theory. Hearing stories of work completes at $2500 and up just makes me nervous without an ESA/Warranty.

Reactions: RedLoubs&wine
Yeh, more the fact the 4-Yr warranty offered by Tesla is the most important part of the offer.
I personally, while shopping, if it is private and is $4000 less, I am happy to purchase it, just because of the room in play to puchase the ESA from Tesla. But this is just my theory. Hearing stories of work completes at $2500 and up just makes me nervous without an ESA/Warranty.
Yes, I agree as well! Primarily being a female and having to deal with any issues which may arise! I'm still leaning towards no unless her negotiates more with the price, including the warranty. I definitely communicated the warranty would be a deal breaker foe me. It just makes me a little nervous! I just don't know much about cars in general! This forum has been more help I could ever imagine!
The car essentially has everything I want, obviously minus the AP2;-(

I would have a Body shop take a quick look. There are 3 or 4 authorized shops in the ATL. Perhaps even a non authorized place with seasoned workers could give you an idea on the severity of the damage. Please excuse ...I didn't see if this is from Tesla, a Private Owner or Dealer. Depending on which, that would open up more investigative avenues. If it really was a simple parked car fender bender, I would not be the least bit worried. But no way I would buy without knowing 100% the damage extent.

I checked out the body shop he had the repairs at and they are on the certified list for Tesla! I take it I could do some more investigating and maybe take it to them to ask. She’s pretty flexible.
It’s a private seller a friend of a coworker of a friend type of deal. Hence, I don’t know them at all but it just happens to be they’re in Atlanta and I could go see it and test drive it!;-)

I checked out the body shop he had the repairs at and they are on the certified list for Tesla! I take it I could do some more investigating and maybe take it to them to ask. She’s pretty flexible.
It’s a private seller a friend of a coworker of a friend type of deal. Hence, I don’t know them at all but it just happens to be they’re in Atlanta and I could go see it and test drive it!;-)
Can't hurt to check it out and take it for a spin around the block. Might want to leave your check book at home.

Oh wow! Thank you for this! I honestly was confused and under the impression clean title meant no accidents at all! I'm new to used car buying, obviously! But you're 100% correct, I'm under the impression the damage was minor and not significant enough for the car to be labeled as salvaged!
Much appreciation and definitely noted!
With that being said, there would still be some depreciation correct?? Because it was hit and repaired?
I personally would consider a car that has been wrecked and repaired (or even wrecked and still not repaired) for the right price. In other words, I wouldn't pay wrecked/repaired price for a car that has been wrecked and still hasn't been repaired. I wouldn't pay clean history price for a car that has been wrecked/repaired. For me it's all a financial consideration and if the repairs were done properly and the selling price reflects the fact that you'll have to sell for slightly less at some point than a car that has never been wrecked I'm good. What worries me is when a seller or dealer knows of damage and does NOT disclose it in an intentional effort to deceive and sell for more money which means I will lose more money down the road when it comes time to resell. If the person you're dealing with is being honest and up front about any damage, the repairs were done right and the price reflects all of this then I would go for it if it's exactly what you're looking for. If that's the case it would end up being everything you're looking for at a lower price than you had budgeted or expected to pay. Don't reach though and pay what you'd pay for a perfect car because of emotions.

Also, along the same topic, just because a car has a clean Carfax doesn't mean it's never been in an accident. It just means that an accident wasn't reported by the repair shop and this is the case more often than not these days. Don't pull a Carfax and then say the car hasn't ever been in an accident when it comes back clean. It's your duty to examine every car you buy carefully and not rely on what a vehicle history report says. If it comes up with an accident to a portion of the car it just means you need to examine this part even closer to make sure repairs were done properly. Too many people put all of their faith in a clean vehicle history report.