Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any advise on purchasing a used Tesla from the experts;-)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
after seeing what Rich Rebuilds chronicled on his youtube channel I don't know how anyone could buy a used Tesla from them currently unless you can go to your local service center and see it before buying. purchasing from an owner directly seems much safer

Holy cow!

I am just amazed this has happened to the CPO program! I bought my CPO (S: P85+) in the summer of 2017. I received a dozen or so good pictures before making the $1,000 deposit. When it was ready about 6 weeks later, I came to Tesla of Decatur in Atlanta at my appointment time, they had it sitting in the middle of the showroom for me. It was impeccably detailed and they reviewed the entire car with me before having me sign the paperwork. It has been perfect ever since.

Model S / 2014 / Red - 9534b | Only Used Tesla

Reactions: tmoz
Holy cow!

I am just amazed this has happened to the CPO program! I bought my CPO (S: P85+) in the summer of 2017. I received a dozen or so good pictures before making the $1,000 deposit. When it was ready about 6 weeks later, I came to Tesla of Decatur in Atlanta at my appointment time, they had it sitting in the middle of the showroom for me. It was impeccably detailed and they reviewed the entire car with me before having me sign the paperwork. It has been perfect ever since.

and keep in mind, if he wasn't posting these videos to over 300k subs there is no way the car would have gotten fixed in the end and delivered to him in perfect condition. what is in those videos is scared me enough to not even consider it.

the current model X he is fixing the buyer was still waiting to get the title from Tesla over 3 months after purchasing.

Thanks to everyone in TMC! I’ve learned so much here before , during and after purchase.

I have little to add except one more data point.

My used Model S purchase experience:
Mnfr Oct 2015 Model S 85D AWD
39,825 miles
$50,800
4 year/50,000 mile warranty plus
Battery and Drive units 8 years, unlimited miles
Chicago area (which is where I live)

Deep Blue Metallic Paint

All Glass Panoramic Roof

19" Wheels

INTERIOR

Grey Next Generation Seats

Carbon Fiber Décor

Black Alcantara Headliner

OPTIONS

Autopilot Hardware 1 with Convenience Features

Premium Interior and Lighting

Standard Suspension

Subzero Weather Package

12-27-2018 ordered via Tesla website after looking at website for about 2 weeks over Xmas holiday. I was emailed the usual pics before deciding. They were reasonable, good enough to decide to move forward or not, but not good enough to hand over money before seeing in person. As usual, no chance to see in person or drive before agreeing to purchase online. Ran a Carfax and no problems noted. One owner, 3 year lease in Twin Cities, MN. Four recalls, two still open. Takata air bags and steering wheel bolt. Tesla said neither present immediate safety hazards but they’d do the repairs if I scheduled a repair after purchase. Kinda lame but not a deal breaker.

I agreed to sign on but decided to have a bank check in hand to give them at the time of pickup to give me a chance to see it.

Lots of waiting. Little contact with me. Uploaded requested documents online. I mostly would wait 4-5 days at a time, then contact them for updates. They slowly passed me via email or telephone from sales to delivery to local store pickup. Always over the top friendly and excited for me! But I always had to contact them, not sure what would’ve happened if I didn’t, but would note that every time I contacted them, there would be significant movement within one day.

1-16-2019 pick up/paid at Westmont, IL store
At pickup, I was offered the chance to view the car prior to signing final papers or handing them the check. I didn’t ask to drive it prior to signing/paying. Just didn’t think of it after waiting so long.

Car was in very good shape. Clearly was washed and detailed (it was January in Chicago, lots of snow!) and was plugged in and fully charged. Slight scuff on right front fender. Some visible wear on center console arm rest. Didn’t see those in the emailed pics. I was ok with that, seemed like normal wear and tear for a 3 year old car. Otherwise it was spotless and beautiful!

Delivery people were friendly and professional. But not much nfo given. Just asked if I’d test driven a Tesla, which I had, handed me the keys, showed me the very basics.

Oh, also... I had a deposit on an M3 from the first day they took deposits. April 1, 2016 I believe? Or was it 2015? It’s been so long I can’t remember! I wanted a standard or medium range battery and AWD and at least half of the rebate. It was becoming apparent I was going to lose more than half of the rebate. For $50K+, I preferred a used MS if I could find the right one, and started to see all the 3 year leases coming due.

During that long waiting period, I requested to close the M3 reservation and apply it to this purchase, which they did. But it’s listed separately in a not very obvious place. I’d have to go back and look if you want to know exactly where.

Since taking delivery, I’ve been thrilled with the car. No problems. Love it in every way. Maybe a bit big for the city, but I knew that going in. I preferred the size and driving dynamics of the M3 from the start, but can appreciate the room and luxury of the MS. I got used to the larger size pretty quickly and it’s been fine. Plus it’s plenty fast enough, and oh, all that instant torque! The closest I’ve experienced to this was my brother’s old Corvette convertible, which he sold because he got sick of maintaining it. Except the Tesla accelerates in nearly complete silence. And ‘accelerate’ feels like the wrong word. It’s more like I’m levitating in a Star Wars hovercraft, and when I press the pedal, the not-of-this-world propulsion system quietly bends space/time around me to instantly propel me forward at will, and all the other vehicles are suddenly behind me in my rear view mirror.

Okay, I’ll stop now because I’m sounding really weird. But hopefully I’m in the right place to sound weird about my Tesla! :)

Good luck to those still on the hunt! And thanks again to all those who’ve been so helpful to me with their posts!

@RedLoubs&wine, I may have what you are looking for. I am looking to sell my Model S as I am moving soon. I bought it as a CPO here in Atlanta...there are still two years left and over 20,000 miles of the fully transferable warranty. The car is perfect. I just did the 50,000 service Tesla suggests (even though it is not at 50K yet), and I just put on rear tires...all totals almost 2,000 dollars in spend in the last month. No autopilot, so you will have to decide the importance of that. It really is a great car that I don't particularly want to part with, but life sometimes gets in the way. Reach out if you want to discuss.

Oh wow! This would’ve been all it’s perfect!! However I do want at least autopilot 1! Ugh! Especially after all mybknowleyive gained from my guys at TMC!! But it looks like your car is in excellent condition! You know I love they color combo as well! I may still be thinking about coming to look at it, since you’re so close!!!;-)

So guys...I’ve been on a little vacation! I’m back....the car I was watching apparently has sold! Ugh! As soon as I return...of course... But the search is still on! I’m taking your advise and will be patient and will wait for my deal!! You guys have been absolutely AMAZING throughout this entire process! I look forward to hopefully offering some words of advise once I get my Tesla keys in my hand!
Additionally, the websites you guys have recommended have been AMAZING! It’s totally given me a better understanding of the market! I take it as it wasn’t meant to be& soon I will find “my deal”!
Again, much appreciation to you ALL for all of your insights, help, and advise that’s been priceless...
Until then...the hunt continues...

I have been searching and keeping tabs on it. I know the car I want, is most likely a Build Date 11/2016 Model S.
Just torn between if I should pay the extra to get the AP 2.0 or just look for a 2016.5 with AP 1.0.
I totally can relate as well!! You learn so much about these cars...& end up wanting it ALL!! I was in a very similar boat! Just as the second extremely knowledgeable guys told me...you have to decide what your wants and must haves are and for from there! Happy hunting as well!!

I totally can relate as well!! You learn so much about these cars...& end up wanting it ALL!! I was in a very similar boat! Just as the second extremely knowledgeable guys told me...you have to decide what your wants and must haves are and for from there! Happy hunting as well!!
Yep - just the more I think about, and recognizing the longevity of the car, I believe I want the AP2 for the next 4 of so years, rather then AP1.