Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any advise on purchasing a used Tesla from the experts;-)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@RedLoubs&wine, here is what I think:
  • The Autotrader page doesn't mention Autopilot. This car might not have Autopilot enabled. If that's the case, adding Enhanced Autopilot now will cost $7,000. If you want the Full Self-Driving option, that will cost an additional $4,000 assuming Tesla will let you add FSD to a used AP2.0 car. There are some signs, they don't want to add FSD to AP2.0 unless the original buyer adds it. On the touchscreen, if they click on Controls and then select the Autopilot tab and take a photo of that, that would clear things up.
  • Based on the 1749XX VIN, my guess is, this car was produced on 8 Dec 2016 and delivered at the end of Dec 2016. That means the 4 years overall warranty on the car will run out in Dec 2020, 1 year 9 months from now.
I forgot many of the details you mentioned in the past. Can you comment on these topics:

1. Are you planning to use this car regularly for long distance trips and if so how important is the time it takes to Supercharge and what would be the distance for that trip? Do you need one Supercharger stop or two stops or more? Check out the Supercharger map here.

2. Can you talk about how important Autopilot is to you and what do you think about different Autopilot versions? If you look at the A, B, C, D options here, which of these would be a must and which would be good to have? If you couldn't upgrade to Full Self-Driving, would that be an issue? The reason I'm asking is that there are some question marks about these:
(A) whether it will be possible to add FSD to AP2.0 cars if the car was purchased used or whether Tesla is planning to let only the original owner add FSD to AP2.0.
(B) there is speculation (maybe 30% chance) that AP2.0 might not support FSD.

3. Can you watch these videos and comment on whether these features are important to you:
4. These days all vehicle production is switching from Autopilot hardware version 2.5 to version 3.0. If you find this topic interesting, you can listen to Elon in the podcast here and maybe comment on what you think about it. Here is a video by Tesla that shows what FSD might look like when it's released.

Last edited:
I agree with Troy about verification of EAP.
Could be big issue if that's something you want and seems is. If not no reason to spend extra for AP2 car.

Tesla no longer sells EAP. Only AP and FSD can be purchased. AP doesn't have the features you want that were part of the previous EAP package. There are multiple threads on TMC about what the new packages are purchase options.

The other consideration is ESA. You had expressed interest in it. Tesla will not sell when car is purchased from ICE dealer. Your only option is the 3rd party company referred to in previous post.

Car looks great and if it has EAP I'd have no problem buying it. I bought mine from ICE dealer. It's unlikely an Audi dealer is going to misrepresent the car.

A smaller point is that the listing states the car has Primacy tires which is oem fitment but those are Continental DWS in the pictures. While I actually prefer the DWS it's something worth noting & chrckinc into. Much smaller financial consideration than if the autopilot has been enabled or not of course.

A smaller point is that the listing states the car has Primacy tires which is oem fitment but those are Continental DWS in the pictures. While I actually prefer the DWS it's something worth noting & chrckinc into. Much smaller financial consideration than if the autopilot has been enabled or not of course.
With 28K car is probably on 3rd set of tire
I’ll post the sticker but it’s pretty loaded!!! Even FSD is already enabled!
Well hell doesn't get any better than that. Sounds like somebody should be heading to Nashville.

Ok, hopefully this posts!! With the facilitation of you guys....I think I got a pretty good deal! Thoughts??

Attachments

• C96164E7-8AF2-4C75-914A-B8DAF6F5018D.jpeg
    C96164E7-8AF2-4C75-914A-B8DAF6F5018D.jpeg
    351.8 KB · Views: 135
I found MY unicorn!!! MUCH MUCH appreciation to all of you guys for ALWAYS being available & answering all of my questions...pesky or not!!! You guys have been amazing!!
I pulled the trigger!! I was told he went to super charge it...(although it says no recent super charging!!)& it looks like I have to stop for over an hour to super charge in order for me to make it back to ATLANTA!!
Any issues with 90D batteries? I feel like I vaguely remember someone having issues with theirs! Even after I super charge for over an hour my route states I’ll only have 9% once I arrive home!! That doesn’t seem correct?? Thank goodness I can nap b/c I luckily had someone to drive me back! B/c I have to work in the AM!
Also how do I tell what software version it’s running??
As always thanks again guys!!!!
Also what does it mean when it states autopilot not available for remainder of drive??

I found MY unicorn!!! MUCH MUCH appreciation to all of you guys for ALWAYS being available & answering all of my questions...pesky or not!!! You guys have been amazing!!
I pulled the trigger!! I was told he went to super charge it...(although it says no recent super charging!!)& it looks like I have to stop for over an hour to super charge in order for me to make it back to ATLANTA!!
Any issues with 90D batteries? I feel like I vaguely remember someone having issues with theirs! Even after I super charge for over an hour my route states I’ll only have 9% once I arrive home!! That doesn’t seem correct?? Thank goodness I can nap b/c I luckily had someone to drive me back! B/c I have to work in the AM!
Also how do I tell what software version it’s running??
As always thanks again guys!!!!
Also what does it mean when it states autopilot not available for remainder of drive??
Well done. If I had found this car when I was looking there's no doubt that I would have bought it.

Early 90's had some issues with battery deprecation. You should be alright. You can tell by charging to 100% and comparing ranged showed to claimed. Charging to 100% is not a problem if done sparingly but never leave car sit at full charge. For trips charge and go is fine.

On the 19" display press the Tesla T at top center it will show info about car including VIN and software version. Ask them to connect it to wifi if it's not at least 2018.50.x. it should download and install.

Thank goodness I had someone to drive me!! Luckily I had an old neighbor I went to visit b/c he was sick and we just left their cat at his house! We’ll go back and pick it up this evening!! B/c I had to sleep in the car in order to be functional for work;-) I’m excited and can’t wait to play with it!!
I was a little concerned about the battery! I thought with a 90D we would’ve made it to Atlanta without stopping! Hence we had to stop and super change for over an hour!!!
I thought super chargers we less than 30 mins???!!
Otherwise I feel like I made a well informed purchase, of course much appreciation to all of you guys!!!?? Although I was really concerned about the warranty the guy is apparently a long time lcustomer who baby’s all of his cars(obviously:)& wanted the new electric Audi coming next month! Hence I feel like everything aligned!! I asked about him purchasing the extended warranty like others have been able to do; however he was really concerned about transferring it over with Tesla & he didn’t want to be tied into anything. He did however drop by the sticker, which was nice!!
All in all in super happy and so glad you guys talked me into waiting, and were here to talk me through the many cars I had questions about! B/c I was so ready to pull the trigger so many times!!
#exciredtoJoinTeslaFamily!

Congrats @RedLoubs&wine. You wanted a red Model S and you are buying a red Model S with AP2.0 and without the plastic nosecone and it even has FSD. It sounds great. In the future, if range or Supercharge time become more important to you than the looks of S vs 3, you can always consider switching to a Model 3 LR AWD. It has 22 miles more range at 75 mph and Supercharge times are 80% of 90D. Btw, Tesla is planning to upgrade existing stations from Supercharger V2 to V3. Let's say 12 months from now, they upgrade the stations you are using, you could then consider switching to a Model 3. Supercharger V3 will cut Supercharge times in half for all Model 3s including 2017 models but S/X don't support Supercharger V3.

It means that the car was driven at 90mph or higher with Autopilot engaged, and it doesn't like that. So it puts you into "Autopilot Jail" until you stop the car and put it in park an drive again, then it resets back to normal.

If you didn't drive the car that fast with Autopilot, and the message is always there, you'll need to take it into service, as it sounds like a sensor is faulty.

Thank goodness I had someone to drive me!! Luckily I had an old neighbor I went to visit b/c he was sick and we just left their cat at his house! We’ll go back and pick it up this evening!! B/c I had to sleep in the car in order to be functional for work;-) I’m excited and can’t wait to play with it!!
I was a little concerned about the battery! I thought with a 90D we would’ve made it to Atlanta without stopping! Hence we had to stop and super change for over an hour!!!
I thought super chargers we less than 30 mins???!!
Otherwise I feel like I made a well informed purchase, of course much appreciation to all of you guys!!!?? Although I was really concerned about the warranty the guy is apparently a long time lcustomer who baby’s all of his cars(obviously:)& wanted the new electric Audi coming next month! Hence I feel like everything aligned!! I asked about him purchasing the extended warranty like others have been able to do; however he was really concerned about transferring it over with Tesla & he didn’t want to be tied into anything. He did however drop by the sticker, which was nice!!
All in all in super happy and so glad you guys talked me into waiting, and were here to talk me through the many cars I had questions about! B/c I was so ready to pull the trigger so many times!!
#exciredtoJoinTeslaFamily!
Generally, when road tripping, you will be stopping at Superchargers for 20-30min. That's ideal. You want your battery to be lower when you arrive and you don't want to fully charge before leaving. Reason being is that batteries slow drastically as they fill. So you want to take advantage of that beefy portion in the middle and use it to your advantage. There may have been another Supercharger between where you were and home that you could have broke your charges up. I find that sometimes the navigation can leave much to be desired in terms of planning trips so I don't rely on it. I check the actual map of Supercharger locations and sometimes you'll find another one the navigation isn't factoring and you can change how you travel. Again, don't know the specifics of your situation so maybe it was the only option but even if that's the case it sure beats having no Supercharger network at all like other EVs. You just have to plan your trips a little bit more sometimes. If I can do it in a 60kWh Model S surely you can do it in a Model S with over 30% more range. ;-)

Congrats @RedLoubs&wine. You wanted a red Model S and you are buying a red Model S with AP2.0 and without the plastic nosecone and it even has FSD. It sounds great. In the future, if range or Supercharge time become more important to you than the looks of S vs 3, you can always consider switching to a Model 3 LR AWD. It has 22 miles more range at 75 mph and Supercharge times are 80% of 90D. Btw, Tesla is planning to upgrade existing stations from Supercharger V2 to V3. Let's say 12 months from now, they upgrade the stations you are using, you could then consider switching to a Model 3. Supercharger V3 will cut Supercharge times in half for all Model 3s including 2017 models but S/X don't support Supercharger V3.
This guy just doesn't give up. The poster already bought a car and you're still in here selling them a Model 3 with v3 AP even though they told you numerous times they weren't interested in a Model 3. If they had only one reason that would be enough but they actually had several legitimate reasons so you should respect their decision and stop trying to force something onto them because it was the right choice for you. Get out of here already!