Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Arachnids in the DC area?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2015 has 19" Cyclones. Of all the stock 19" wheels, I think I like these the most, but I am lured by the sportier handling and good looks that come with a set of Arachnids. That said, people's feelings vary on how stiff is too stiff. I have a Miata with stiff suspension that doesn't bother me, but that car is a whole different experience to begin with. I think my car is pretty stiff now (plus suspension) so I'm waffling on the upgrade. If someone in the DC area can confirm/refute my desire for bigger wheels by offering a test ride, I'd be thankful.

Check Craigslist and facebook marketplace, there are several in the <$3K range. I love the stiff ride of my Miata too (track car), but I don't like the multiple cracked wheels I got when using 21's here in the DC area. Hopefully the Forged wheels are stronger, but that just means the sidewalls get pinched and destroy the $350 tires (did the multiple times too).

Recommend you get them, but wait to install them until after the VDOT gets around to repairing the winter damage in the late April/early May timeframe. They perform best above 50 degree anyway with the summer Michelins that most of them come with.

This guy had them listed for $2599 in the winter, looks like he raised the price this week.
Facebook Marketplace: (NEW) 21" Arachnid wheels+ tires for sale - For Tesla Model S - Auto Parts - Sterling, Virginia

You've got the P85+ car, that's a rare bird... you will notice a crisper steering and actually a smoother ride for some reason, I believe Tesla ready did some research when they built the + suspension cars or none of use would have paid the $6500 premium.

I would look at Carmax or other dealership and see if they have any on the lot to test drive. I just sold two sets of 21 turbines from both my Model S's in the fall...

Here is a review from a original owner on the + suspension + 21's...

My driving opinion of my P85+ performance package. A new opinion of driving dynamics | Tesla

Last edited:
You've got the P85+ car, that's a rare bird... you will notice a crisper steering and actually a smoother ride for some reason, I believe Tesla ready did some research when they built the + suspension cars or none of use would have paid the $6500 premium.

I would look at Carmax or other dealership and see if they have any on the lot to test drive. I just sold two sets of 21 turbines from both my Model S's in the fall...

My driving opinion of my P85+ performance package. A new opinion of driving dynamics | Tesla

Here is a review from a original owner on the + suspension + 21's... now that I think about it, you may want to call one of the guys I sold too, he owns the gas station on Tyco Road/Route 7 in McLean and does all the inspections or did all the VA inspections for the Tysons SC. He is a huge Tesla fan and I believe he may have a P85D (don't know if its a + or not).. just remember he had a Silver Model S with my Black Chrome 21 Turbines with All Season VREDESTEINQUATRAC 5 tires (same ones I just use on the Miata for daily driving) due to their three-peak mountain snowflake (3PMSF) rating.

Last edited:
Reactions: LS..
It's odd that my car has 19" wheels, but also has the plus suspension. When talking with the sales advisor, the listing said "performance plus suspension" but had Cyclones, not staggered 21" turbines. I asked why the discrepancy as I thought the plus suspension came with 21" wheels. He said the car was originally ordered with the 19" wheels and that it only had SAS, not performance plus.

On my 750 mile drive home, I had to swerve quickly to miss a deer on the highway. The response from the car was great! When I un-puckered, I decided to check the suspension parts at the next stop and saw that they matched the part numbers for the plus suspension.

Anyway, now that I think about it, driving a car on 21" archnids and SAS or coil suspension may not tell me all I need to know, save road noise, unless that car also has plus suspension...