Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Austin drivers? How well does AP2 hold up here?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm shopping around for my first Tesla, and hearing the inconsistencies of Autopilot V2 (enhanced autopilot) is starting to make me hesitate with buying new. I'm debating buying a CPO AP1 model instead. Does anyone here live in Austin? How well does AP2 handle Mopac, 360, etc.

I driven around Austin, but live in Houston. It does pretty well on the freeways. The lastest firmware has made that even better for me. Aside from reading speed limit signs, I'd rate auto steer as feeling almost the same as AP1 on freeways and clearly defined local roads. I would not hesitate buying new at this point. I just traded in an AP1 car for an AP2 car and have been very pleased with it after about 2000 miles behind the wheel. Let me know if you have any other questions.

• Informative
Reactions: xyeahtony
Personally, I would only consider a car with AP1 for price alone. While AP2 is much derided for its warts, if you plan on owning the car for more than a short spell, the future is in continued AP2 development and improvements. Not to mention all the numerous other improvements bundled into the current generation. Plus the brand new AP 2.5 hardware going into new cars makes it a good time for a custom order (until of course the next generation), so I would avoid new inventory. Here is a listing of historical changes, yet to be updated for August: Model S - Options by Year - Tesla Motors Club Wiki

I would highly recommend just doing some test drives. I've done 3, and autopilot has been fine on all three trips. One of my test drives was an overnighter and I got to experience ap2 on city streets as well as mopac/35. Even with the chaos on mopac, it worked perfectly

I've driven AP1 around Austin, it will do fine on Mopac parts that have lines. It had significant problems with merging lanes where the car would veer to the right. This apparently is improved very recently in AP2. There are several Teslas for rent on Turo in Austin and some with AP1/2. The domain showroom also does test drives. My 2nd kid decided to be born when we were going up to test drive so I don't know the test drive loop.

AP makes a significant difference on boring freeway commutes, but I did not trust it at all on busy freeways opting to drive myself instead. Imagine handing the car over to your 16year old kid, that's sort of how AP1 felt. He really pays attention to the road but doesn't drive defensively enough. I tried to drive down Manor road near Airport and the car nearly drove off onto the sidewalk.

I do wonderfully well with AP2 in Austin. It gets better with every update. It's much better than the AP1 car I drove around in February I don't know how that compares for reference since both versions have been updated. I found that AP2 surpassed that Feb version of AP1 with the 17.28 firmware... even though it still may not show the adjacent lanes and truck or motorcycle, I do believe it is much better than the AP1 from February. So I'm comparing a June AP2 to a Feb AP1 to be clear

I've been extremely impressed with AP2, though each update seems to come with a jerky and weird calibration period... even if you every have to reset your center display, the cameras take a about 50 miles or so to recalibrate for a while to not be jerky, etc.

• Informative
Reactions: EinSV
AP2 performs wonderfully on 35, 71, 360. I've seen it get a bit shaky out in the hill country even though the lines were paved very well (out towards pedernales).

There's nowhere it works better than on north mopac by the domain. I'm pretty sure tesla made sure to get that part 100% perfect for their test drives =p. Other parts of mopac...not so much #makemopacgreatagain

I've done fine with driving through and around Austin and out in the Hill Country.

There are some areas of the Hill Country where auto lane change is disabled, but I think that has more to do with mapping than AP. It just doesn't recognize adjacent lanes, even if clearly marked, but I've also seen that on other roads. I'm not sure what the deal is, there, but it's only a minor inconvenience to (gasp) steer myself over into another lane and restart AP.

• Funny
Reactions: buttershrimp
AP2 performs wonderfully on 35, 71, 360. I've seen it get a bit shaky out in the hill country even though the lines were paved very well (out towards pedernales).

There's nowhere it works better than on north mopac by the domain. I'm pretty sure tesla made sure to get that part 100% perfect for their test drives =p. Other parts of mopac...not so much #makemopacgreatagain
SH-130 makes me think I have a car with active FSD at times... it's awesome with AP