TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Any Cincinnati area EV drivers free next wednesday?

Discussion in 'Midwest/Great Lakes' started by Rifleman, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Rifleman

Rifleman Now owns 2 Model S's!!!

I received a call from AAA today stating that they have installed a charger at their red bank road location. They asked me if I could round up a couple EV drivers to stop by to test it out before their ribbon cutting ceremony on the 11th. The would like to have as many EV's stop by as possible between 5-7pm on October 9th. This will give them a chance to make sure the charger works with a variety of cars, and to chat with the EV owners a little bit to get feedback to help with the deployment of future chargers. I am planning on bringing my Volt for them to try out, would anyone else be interested in attending?

2. hugenbdd

hugenbdd Member

Let me know if you can't make it.
    I commute between Blue-Ash and Ft. Mitchell and could take 71 home if they need another test. 2012 Volt.

Where on Red Bank is the charger at?

Dave

3. Rifleman

#3 Rifleman, Oct 1, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
    I will be coming from Blue Ash as well.

The charger is at the AAA office at 3998 Redbank road.

4. Rifleman

5. dave

dave Member

I will try to make it if I can. Not sure what my work schedule will be for that day.

6. nkymodels

nkymodels New Member

I might stop by. I have a 5:00 commitment already.

7. dave

dave Member

NKYMODELS why haven't we met yet? :) Give me a PM if you want to meet and talk Tesla!

8. Rifleman

I stopped by and tested this charger yesterday, and am pleased to report it worked well. It less than 100 yards from a walmart and several places to eat, available 24/7, and completely free (need to swipe a chargepoint card, but if you dont have one, they have one at the front desk to loan you). Talking with the staff their, they said that the current plan is for this to be the first of many chargers at AAA offices. They are going to use the chargepoint info from this cahrger to know how people are using it, and then will plan their roll out accordingly.

9. brandonmbeard

brandonmbeard Member

This is good news. I don't get to Red Bank much but it's nice to know they are expanding the ability to charge up in this area.

Has anyone heard any more news on the Tesla Store in Kenwood Towne Center. I hope they add in a HPWC at a minimum fur customer use.

10. Rifleman

I have not heard much yet. Hopefully they will put some sort of public charging option there. As a volt driver, of course I am hoping for a J1772, but I imagine if Tesla is funding it, that they would be HPWC's. Maybe having a Tesla store will be what it takes to finally get the mall to put in some chargers of their own.

11. dave

dave Member

Thanks for the update Rifleman! I couldn't make it, but it's good to know we have another charger in Cincinnati! I don't make it that way very often, but I'll stop by and check it out next time I need to go to Walmart. ;)

12. brandonmbeard

brandonmbeard Member

I am shocked that KWTC doesn't have any chargers what so ever.

Also downtown is killing me with their lack of chargers.

13. dave

dave Member

Yeah, Cincinnati is the worst of any city I've been to as far chargers go. Fortunately I live here, so rarely need chargers when driving around town... What is KWTC?

14. Rifleman

Kenwood Towne Centre, where the Tesla retail store is going.

And yes, we really are the black hole of charging. My poor volt has to use gas WAY to often due to a lack of places to charge.

15. brandonmbeard

brandonmbeard Member

How fast does the J plug take to charge your volt.

16. Rifleman

The Volt only has a 3.3 kWh charger, so the best it can do is about 10 miles of range per hour. I still fail to understand why so many car manufacturers insist on using such anemic chargers in their vehicles, as a better one would not add significant cost or weight. Tesla hit the nail on the head with the 10 kWh standard charger. Its big enough to give you a meaningful charge rate from L2, and it can make full use out of the relatively common 14-50 outlets.