Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any DIY info on the replacement of the triangles above the mirrors? Also, suspension question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the local service centers being largely useless, I’m going to try to repair the car myself, before I throw in the towel and have the legal system sort it out.

One of my issues, since day one, is, among others, some super annoying vibration coming from the passenger area, which I have recently found to be coming from the A pillar area, likely from the infamous black plastic triangle. Have any of you attempted to repair those yourselves or otherwise know what the removal procedure is?

Alternatively, is there any Dallas-area Tesla tech here who might want a week-end job fixing this and other such issues that, according to Tesla’s Service management, do not exist?

Also, have any of you worked with an independent suspension shop in the Dallas area? My suspension is stock, but have had constant squeaks and clunks and pops which have so far been addressed twice by the SC. It’s better now, which is to say it only sounds like a 15 year old Volvo some of the time. Given the sounds I sometimes hear, the chassis bolts are surely not torqued properly or there’s some other issue there. I ran out of time and patience with the service center and I just want a competent third party to diagnose and fix my suspension. If any of you can recommend such a shop, I’d be grateful!

I've got the black triangles fixed on the passenger side of my car. They absolutely do fix them (at least in the Austin area), but apparently had to wait quite some time for the actual parts... I think it was 2-3 weeks?

According to the tech there, they literally affix them with some sort of tape. Not sure if you want to try doing that yourself though...

I've got the black triangles fixed on the passenger side of my car. They absolutely do fix them (at least in the Austin area), but apparently had to wait quite some time for the actual parts... I think it was 2-3 weeks?

According to the tech there, they literally affix them with some sort of tape. Not sure if you want to try doing that yourself though...

Thank you for replying!

I have some of that automotive double sided trim tape and have tried it already. It doesn't hold, the triangle it far too crooked.

What were your symptoms? In my case, I have both a bunch of wind noise and a most-annoying rattle coming from that area.

I have a service appointment for 3 minor issues scheduled in a week, this was one of them.

No symptoms for me, other than it looks like it is starting to come offer the edge.

I’ll report back after the visit and let you know what they did/say.

Thank you for replying!

I have some of that automotive double sided trim tape and have tried it already. It doesn't hold, the triangle it far too crooked.

What were your symptoms? In my case, I have both a bunch of wind noise and a most-annoying rattle coming from that area.

They were just sticking out and uneven. I could stick my finger in the gap on the passenger side one. Not sure if I was getting extra wind noise or if that was my imagination. No rattles as a result of those though.

They attempted to fix mine but were messy with glue and it ended up peeling back up. I told them to replace the whole assembly since it looks like crap and didn't fix the problem and they agreed. Its been over 3 months... still waiting... Tesla is so terrible at service turn times... I am over 2 hours away and that doesn't help any. If they were just down the road, I would be stopping in all the time to force better service. I can't do that with a 5 hr round trip...

My fix. Did this about 5 months ago and I forgot about it. Still works fine.

qXuNrKQV4NxZBEKmMsCP1TcP5Qc37_3bFagTfb2MyggqkXaKd4478qRO2gSty1EdwW14wAdtMcMbiLRZNImlNZIxR1oHJODmTvpqjFXqu1iWgnUpTL1HPfOF1iC06pcSiuYT0707LrqZnBHz79P5m3EvWXYiF5ebHFB3AQWd1ZYUwGc8PYBQU7sd4qX9EckLw47-YjJ9k9co33eR6kprWFAwtVkpoI6CnlFI5TJVJWBRQT5Bf9a02__fMvWMkseVX_rXFvg_xSfsay6e5Ll-nYojAueV272C8JPbK-6zAk3D8lDjOkfOyv13oBbSr6FLA0UZYva2yNx4y7a4lF4NSrvHeN6-KyqHhJD_cpxlWJgR3b1YSDvPUNlSBg_lGmgh6ZhBLiYvC0ccpkS-y2KN6YEsPxBZiYPiQEOYwCyMQTGwu4yKIs-kBCqkxW59VXcEew1Nk8W-2k6aSkRgIM2auKz7okiC9g0vne4oZkgWJBXwbtoh-IPb4ZW9IjinZa1_pTiiryKgUSln-_xBt1urJUTjOiTJbOBlQNrYrKEyOVjTU8XTn7K0Ht6R4SyOr5DHC7QlZA7Mcv1N7Hf1BPm5RtN7gIwV-qUmaTruESpyBFY2EzxMmPGIMbX24IHaNmJ9BY5eFWPJ-B9zSvkjyaU0oKd_TXfGiBymSUGFkbybbbUbhTBwAw19qf77ouLzi1Wuh7TswyR9Em8XghMPLNkbw6sqDw=w2004-h1339-no

fc3reEmRXF7sCj4PsI-vjGpgHRbG5Yc08O_6UDM0xznBVVLi8zFoTgOIoNE5Opu423v-GHrPIW2SOsr5MOjNM1lpnPjeKJ2DVGamCDzwS9OFXefT3Dq_tMkNtB8_AXlRSNTbwkZ44RI1YUhrKOmp07pWZWgwhZtIoJKEZmHe7xoOjowfLPsrq1HvnLumyk08D0YQ2SOhzx2iWL1wDWFbydh6MuXOU-aBNxxAnCAuQ5TN7_90LzC4cM1_D-vgPjKtmZwy28fxDjr1aThikL_7aJuglGkCpnM3ZtljAF7YQIFEQ1Num9oDRP59LWDA3oprXMORvnE5gWSVSohtichRZvhTP2QDJROSwZS9yVICALqy-leDsiJFXOWARp3UfeVCj8CXy8gD9rXh-BnMneERJbmzVfMKueL29Tq_aAn0DrDLNbx7bGiQGfipdBe6VSxCmKE9t3H8BwDTlO5ePG51Q7IX94bIy2QOEGnW4OJwqkG-q-NGhIYXQ5n2161p9U136eje0n-bCC9vWttlsYNL8CNwTQHwpHueviRfdQA_PzZ2bICHP6IwP0nz1wBXXxEPA4wtOqkO_Mpc2NxXwKkcP4Xwi4fD3R624lnJTfKE6Ju8YbY254DcsKfOg4J3SXGYaNLAqdXurEcdHl7rHmTaYr38rjquS3wdL3Dadklnzt685PoJ5TYiIjIWVKi4Qo4nhFoeA8UxRqzLVV9GTQAxdS0V5g=w1426-h952-no

JNyhDKa60NsCL7Dg1am36wFvUHvxnQXcBHvC6md_Ykm9koTSNCBXN6_rELfWXGM2VRfszzav91afrTsQV8KRxu61ob5-nnvrfxHvZserhF2tHguoBvqd1We1Kr0LO52QZjc0byyfDBHWbGoV2iCFAZbPGY60n6Jw47lHkYYPaFr3BxX0X3xox_SAEdtHK9QPx0yzQdmmV-KHIlBgM2VJL_pSL2XwedhoTwWP2y3jmsRQwsPijcpRTDT-LZI1QM28g6gm0BbI3vK7vxjcmGYiPns5DldQ8LyI7TJO3sIrk7g03q8IiskjjqSZP3CZ3kLvsb4cVApu674RQqqLzNpxMOtVbtSZKvIc9LpV5D_huF7vf4g-JLfwZjGI8NspXjt6-QGKPBP1_m-3W0ycm2vfyun8LdklPNiHGZTltz4-T2F1RTvQMoJm7ME050qf-bkgFLLRdp-xczl2U06sed-p0xwGU5gqwDunpQHAMtOhnl0eyWEF6DjwCfB5Cp-FxK-JLRZzQzFg9HePWsz41iBDPYtSE7BoUMEdTBzOyg5TSGAqYvc-COXYqG1eajMkEbTj8VNiwxtLKYFkZYxeWPILtWHLnuf6SX-5MXpnm3Bogy2Z-ajqx6WMrGNd5m_E5BQeawdUtwMg78MDsB3fjOeCIWBRXOuXP7ESGL-SJpb5gIv4_BjrHyrpdlLF40flnhx0CM1ZfJGU3Fry9AzFnzRkx_hL5w=w1426-h952-no

Reactions: Magnets!
Had my service appointment yesterday - SC here in Charlotte has been really good IMO.

He fixed a couple minor issues, passenger side view mirror triangle being one of them. Explained the contact for that piece is in the center, which is why that top corner can sometimes have a gap. They applied some automotive adhesive tape (said it was the same stuff they use to apply the spoilers) to that corner, and it looks perfect now.

Tesla mobile tech fixed the loose triangle on my passenger side. How did he fix it you ask? By replacing the entire mirror assembly! o_O
It's 2021 and I can't believe Model 3's are still having this QC problem. My two-month old M3 has this same problem (since deliver) on the passenger side mirror and was told by Tesla mobile service that they'll have to come back and replace the entire assembly. Problem is, I already have PPF on the mirror. 😮‍💨

Sorry if im necro this thread but just wanted to update with my experience. First Tesla service will replace the trim piece in question. The serial number is 1130656-00-E for the RH side and 1130655-00-E for the LH side. Total cost to do both at my local SC is 267.50 plus tax. On older vehicles like my 2018 it appears that the plastic doesn't age super well and the clips (top and bottom) have a tendency to break from cleaning or ppf/wrap installation. If your ok with some DIY you can get some 3m VHB (Super Strength Molding Tape at Advance Auto parts) and cut them into right trapezoids and carefully place them in the gap like I have. I let the VHB cure in the sun for an afternoon and it appears to be holding up great.