Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any estimate for the cost of repair? 1 week old M3LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
yesterday my model 3 was hit by a kid in a bicycle who slammed into my left rear quarter panel and bumper. It was caught in sentry mode but since he rode away I couldn’t identify or get any insurance info.

Does anyone know if this repair is PDR able or how much this is going to cost? I have a 1000 comprehensive deductible, so if PDR may be less I would prefer using that method.

Attachments

• IMG_3326.jpeg
    IMG_3326.jpeg
    361.8 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_3323.png
    IMG_3323.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_3316.jpeg
    IMG_3316.jpeg
    178.6 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_3317.jpeg
    IMG_3317.jpeg
    409.3 KB · Views: 26
Bummer. Perhaps you should put this in the Model 3 forum, not the Model S forum. On my Model S, I had a smaller bump in my rear fender, and at cost $2015, but the Model S uses aluminum, whereas the Model 3 uses steel, and may be far cheaper to repair.

yesterday my model 3 was hit by a kid in a bicycle who slammed into my left rear quarter panel and bumper. It was caught in sentry mode but since he rode away I couldn’t identify or get any insurance info.

Does anyone know if this repair is PDR able or how much this is going to cost? I have a 1000 comprehensive deductible, so if PDR may be less I would prefer using that method.
Did you get an estimate for this? If so, and you don’t mind sharing, I’m curious what it was. I have a similar issue. In my case the dent isn‘t as bad, but I have some paint damage. I took it in for an estimate at a Tesla authorized place and the estimate was $6K. i am in shock and wondering if this is just some new world we are living in. I have had way more damage on a BMW and repaired for half that cost.

I think that body shops that work with aluminum are far fewer, so they charge a hefty premium for the work. The fewer body shop choices in your area can also drive the cost up. My understanding is the labor fixing bumps in aluminum is not much different than steel, but because it's "new" they charge more.

Now on a Model S/X, if you need a fendor replaced (which is aluminum), that can get expensive as the old one has to be cut out, and a special new one installed. Not an easy process. Tesla fabricates a special fender for repair that is different than the ones used in production. This is because you can't get access to weld on a fender like the factory does in the production of the body in white.

All that said, body shops charge a lot of steel bodywork too nowadays. It's surprising how expensive some bump repairs can be - so it's not just a "Tesla" thing.